PBP: Match #6: Chelsea vs. Man. City

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by yasik19, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Lukaku scores but is offsides on Havertz in the buildup.

2. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Now time for prime Alonso....

3. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Ruben Loftus-Cheek on for Jorginho. Played himself in here with the match on Wednesday.

Boris10 repped this.
  4. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty tough game. City came with the full court press today. Poor hold up play from the forwards.

5. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Dias with his hands around Lukaku's neck preventing him from jumping.

6. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    ********ing shit. How is that a foul!

7. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Michael Oliver has been bad, really bad. Just keeps letting City get away with everything. No way is that a foul by Havertz.

8. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Soooo...., to be clear, when Havertz makes contact with their keeper when they 'come together, (not like that), it's a foul but when someone clatters into the back of Silva in the box when they 'come together', (again, not like that), it's NOT a foul and thus a penalty.

Yeah, that seems straightforward enough :rolleyes:

Blueallthru repped this.
  9. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Felt Azpi at the end could have been called. He was undercut....but evidently the announcers didn't agree either.

10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It could have been but would have been a bit harsh on them but I thought the Silva one was a stonewall pen tbh.

The guy just took him out 'by accident'.

11. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Really got what we deserved. Tuchel was absolutely out coached. Not the end of the world but we go on.

Mount is far to valuable to this side. His pressing and tempo were missed. Havertz made a difference when he came on but it was all to late. Our best player today was Ruben who played 20 minutes and showed more than anyone else how to move the ball forward.

12. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    And somehow pundits always say it's accidental and nothing in it. It's still a ********ing foul.

13. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    We lost. We deserved to lose. I would like to see us try some other formations. Well, we actually did today have a different formation with two up top in Romelu and Timo. But I feel we needed super fast wing backs to supplement that idea. Alonso, has been decent so far this year, but against Citeh, the pace of Ben would have been better. I'd be happy with 4 at the back and an extra body in midfield sometimes. I think TT needs to be a little bit more experimental and a little bit less risk adverse.

Blueallthru repped this.
  14. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yeah, he was tactically bossed by Pep. We beat them 3 times last season by actually playing against them rather than the Conte 11 behind the ball we played today. We fully deserved to lose and that's on us.

Boris10 repped this.
  15. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think it probably depends, tbh. If the guy is behind you and you're watching the ball and don't see him and back into him it can be an 'accident' but the thing is Silva appeared to be directly in front of the fella and just ran into the back of him to stop him getting the ball. How is that 'accidental'.

But I think the truth is we had important people out and, more generally, just weren't 'at it'.

16. Chairman Maozedizzle

Chelsea FC
    United States
    Sep 22, 2021
    Went to watch the replay but Peacock now has a 24 hour delay on those...? What is that all about? Guess I get to save 90 minutes :confused:

Looks like I didn't miss much. That lineup screams fear and I can only imagine the kind of service Rom was(n't) getting today. Getting the feeling that we're going through another natural cycle of "our midfield isn't actually reliable." Shoring up a midfield that already does next to nothing offensively isn't going to make for much fun.

Not sure where this will take us but I sure hope we aren't in for more 5-3-2. That's what I used to do in FIFA to keep all the kids playing as Barca at bay. We've got the personnel to be a bit more enterprising.

I'm likely projecting a fair amount of this - how were we in reality? Would appreciate a summary from anyone!

17. Chairman Maozedizzle

Chelsea FC
    United States
    Sep 22, 2021
  18. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    On the way home from the game via the pub. I have a sore neck from looking one way in the first half. RLC made a difference when he came on that was just like watching Sari ball :(

Have to show more ambition in midweek against Juventus.

Blueallthru repped this.
  19. Pisco Sour

Pisco Sour Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Jul 13, 2021
    Negative first half. Negative result.

Mendy kept us in it. This game needed a dynamic presence like Pulisic.

RLC looked great.

Rman3349 repped this.
  20. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    Agree with others. Our defense has been a signature since TT took over, but this was too defensive. No progressive play at all. Looked like we were playing with 10 for most of the game until we switched up with the Havertz sub. And the Werner/Lukaku pairing up top didn’t have a great showing. Tough game to try it out.

I’d forgotten how big RLC is. He was shedding tacklers like an American footballer.

It’s one game and we only have to play them twice. Maybe that’s defeatist, but it’s all about the points in the end.

limpidrock repped this.
  21. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    2nd best most of the match. Not sure if Tuchel was out-coached or just that City wanted it more. I think the last 3 losses really sparked them today. No shame to lose to this City team.

limpidrock and Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  22. limpidrock

limpidrock Member

Mar 19, 2008
    For me, the main difference in this game vs the UCL final were the wingbacks. We lacked pace and the ability to carry the ball there today.

We were always going to lose some intensity and control of the game with Lukaku as the front man compared to Werner, in exchange for more clinical finishing and directness. This much we have to accept. Not just against City, but against most opponents.

StamfordBridgeLions repped this.
  23. Boris10

Boris10 Member

Chelsea
    England
    Sep 25, 2019
    We made a choice to not carry forward with the wing backs. And they used a holding midfielder. Disappointing.

24. Chairman Maozedizzle

Chelsea FC
    United States
    Sep 22, 2021
    Also, the idea of losing intensity with one of the most effective strikers on the planet leading the line is a questionable concept...

Either we keep (mostly) winning or we have to set the bar a little higher for what we expect from our center mids in their ability to transition the play. I kind of like losses like this in the sense that it exposes the flaws that were already evident. Ideally, it will lead to Tuchel adapting and we'll see this team continue to evolve. If we managed to win playing with 10 defenders, we'd be doomed to watching more of it.

25. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I missed this game, my ma fell over and broke her arm! Looks like a good game to miss, I've heard we were bloody awful. Actually apart from Palace, Arsenal and the second half against Spurs we've actually been pretty 'ordinary' particularly of late, some of these boys needs a rocket up their a*se. First real test for TT I think?

Naughtius Maximus repped this.