Match 59 (QF) - Germany v Argentina - Post-Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Knockout Rounds' started by JaredSS07, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006
    What does the champions league got to do with anything? Not enough club level superstar flops at this WC for you? Maicon, Lucio and Cesar musta been kicking serious ass.

Zanetti, Milito and Cambiasso won the CL therefore they would do good for Argentina? WTF lol. Hey Burdisso won the triple too. He rocked.

Riquelme, tell me exactly what he won for Argentina? What did he do in Copa America '07 Final vs. Brazil? He disappeared. There's a reason why they shipped his ass back to Argentina. He's an old underachiever that quit the national team so good riddance.

2. Chocolate Bunny

Jun 13, 2006

Oh, Come'on!!! you are kidding right? :D

I know that Maradona's fans are using any argument to defend their beloved idol, but this ridiculous argument just doesn't cut.

Maradona building a team for the future? ... yeah sure, Diego's master plan was always to send young unexperienced guys to get trashed in Southafrica, so they can learn and be ready for 2014. I suppose that is the reason he recruited younglings like Veron and Palermo :rolleyes:

Let be serious here. Maradona and Argentina were dead set on winning THIS WC. Southafrica 2014 was the target, it was supposed to be Argentina's cup. Diego selected the players he thought were the ones who would make Argentina a world champion again.

Nothing wrong with that, but he made serious mistakes. He didn't take people like Cambiasso, Zanetti, Saviolita, Dallesandro, Milito. Those players would have provided a lot of offensive and defensive options. But Maradona was blinded with his "Vamos, vamos, Argentina!!!" attitude :(

Only thing I agree with you is in not taking Riquelme; because he is old, broken and he has been playing like crap the last few years. And on top of that, he is a crying primmadonna that creates problems everywhere he goes

3. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His managerial experience before the national team was 23 matches, winning only 3 of them? It doesn't add up to a single season. Why didn't anyone recognize his lack of commitment to learning how to manage? Only an egomaniac would think they were qualified just because they were a good player.

4. Chocolate Bunny

Jun 13, 2006
    You don't know a lot about Argentina, do you? believe me, things like that happen all the time... just like americans electing Bush TWICE :p

5. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well it all started, with media taunts from the German players 4-5 days before kick off. True to Maradona form, he started talking. I thought he would be quiet, but the media had to add fuel to the fire by asking him the questions.

6. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Truly incredible, all in a year's work. His first full professional season. Not too shabby for a 20 year old.

How bout the ball he played through to Podolski for Germany's second goal while he was on the floor and facing backwards?

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Make an honest evaluation based on all the games your team played, not just the Germany game.

8. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The "away" jersey I just ordered was going to be between Mueller or Oezil. I picked Mueller because of that exact move.

9. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    How Germany will miss him against Spain....:(

10. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    El Diego, "the People's Maradona" an egomaniac? Say it ain't so, Diego.

When they make a shrine and worship you on the spaccanapoli, maybe it's difficult to be humble.

11. vhatever

vhatever Red Card

Jun 16, 2010
    USA

That was the craziest assist that will never be considered an assist by FIFA in this WC. Haha.

He also gave Klose a great shot on goal in the first half of the game. Could have easily gotten two more assists in this game. 4 goals, 5 assists.

12. Loddar

Loddar Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Herzogenaurach
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Some funny comments here. Especially about Germany raiding other countries for talented football players. Everyone with some knowledge about international football would tell you something differently. To be exact it´s even the opposite and Germany gets scouted constantly by a couple of countries in search of some talented footballers. Mainly by Turkey, but also more and more by a couple of African countries. You won´t find any German scouts doing the same in other countries btw.

To thepremierleague guy. I agree with you, that England was way more dangerous when going forward than Argentina. I would even say that Argentina had not even one single quality goal chance in the whole match (and no Argentina´s offside goal was no real chance!).
    England in comparison had at least four. Two goals, a freekick at the crossbar and one good chance near the end, where Neuer could only hardly deflect the ball around the post. In comparison against Argentina he could catch every single shot which was on target.
    Btw I even predicted in another thread, that after the game we will argue that England was better than Argentina (okay I was half kidding there...). After having watched both of Germany´s game against England and then Argentina in full again, I think you seriously can argue that this was the case. Especially if you take the second not given England goal into account.
    Nevertheless if England wants to get better in the future, they should concentrate on other things than arguing about, if they are less bad than Argentina were against us. Not that I would want England to get better though...;)

For Argentina´s sake you also have to say, that the German team played with full power and concentration until the end against them. While against England we switched back one or two gears in the last 20 minutes. Also Argentina played better against the other teams they played before Germany, than England played against the minnows they had before meeting Germany.

Another remark to Argentina. I was surprised how fair they (players and fans) behaved before, during and after the match. In the end it even felt to me, like they just became too nice and determined to prove Schweinsteiger wrong. A bit more passion and aggressiveness towards us/Germany maybe would helped them more to get into this game in an "awake" state, instead of still half sleeping and probably still dreaming about exchanging kisses with Diego...:eek:

P.S.: Don´t know if someone said it already, but Messi wasn´t even fouled once against Germany!:eek:

13. ★ ☆ ★

★ ☆ ★ New Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Republic of Vanuatu
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano

Wow this really perpetuates the stereotype of Argentinians being sore losers.

Is it the automatic response for an Argentinian backlash after a loss to state it was incited by racial slurs? I swear I read something similar in the Argentina forum a few days ago stating it was anti-semitic insults hurled at the Argentina team by the German National Team and its managers as to the reason for the 2006 brawl. Sounds like complete nonsense.

As for the second part of your post, it's just silly and someone above has already educated you.

14. NoNick

NoNick New Member

Jun 7, 2006

Bundesliga isn't weak at all!!!
    Actual Bundesliga holds place 4 in Europe, very, very close to place 3, the distance to Italy's Serie A is just 0,131 points!
    Bundesliga will pass Serie A next season!
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method4/crank2010.html

The Bundesliga is unterrated, yes, we don't have overpaid so called "world stars", we don't need them! Look what happened to the english team, cause the Premierleague has so many stars from all over the world.
    We have wonderful stadia, they are packed every weekend, even many "football travelers" from England are excited about the Bundesliga!

15. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I remember hearing the BBC 5 or BBC/ITV call Bundesliga weak. I also remember hearing the same thing said about the Eredivisie.

Pundits. :rolleyes:

German football works for German football and that's a good thing.

16. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    time for a purse war..

[​IMG]

17. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What is this obsession some posters have with continuously bringing the ethnicity/heritage of this German team? They are German and the only reason to bring it up over and over is to illicit a response, i.e. a wind-up. It has got to stop NOW. From this point forward any poster that brings this back up will be given an infraction for trolling. Get over it people this is the world we live in and when said players were actually born in Germany your opinion has little basis, just stop please.

This is a pretty strong allegation and would be best served with a link to back it up. I'm on Clarin amongst the other Argentine news sites multiple times per day and have yet to see anything that supports this. I also haven't heard a word mentioned on Argentine radio. Please provide the link or think twice about posting it.

When you say "you guys" are you referring to Argentines or supporters of other NT's that follow Argentina? I ask because it is a very big difference.

So two wrongs make a right huh? Diego's career has a tremendous history of his talking pelotudeces so to be surprised or offended is I guess just silly. Wouldn't all that energy spent rubbing salt in Diego's wounds be better off used in cheering on your players that actually deserved it more than Diego deserved the heckling? Being a sore winner is no different than be a sore loser and as I stated, two wrongs do not make a right.

The majority of any discussion involving Riquelme is borderline off topic so I'm not going to respond in the open thread. However if you'd like to pm me I'd love to pick this paragraph apart.

Wait, what? Really?

You do know about his church right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iglesia_Maradoniana

18. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I was HOPING, begging he would focus on the game. True to form, he goes by the same script day in and day out. His antics got crazier and crazier as his narcissism grew.

I don't even want to talk about it, it just shows that we picked the wrong guy.

19. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We knew from the get go that we hired the wrong guy. Grondona obviously felt otherwise. It's interesting that you saw Diego in the light you do because I felt he was more mellow than I had expected. Much of the media for what they are worth seemed to see him the same way.

20. vhatever

vhatever Red Card

Jun 16, 2010
    USA
    Well, I think you started off with a complete strawman. You have no evidence of them being "sore winners". Sounds far more like oversensitive Argentinians being super sore losers to me.

21. Mariella

Mariella Member

Mar 4, 2005
    Southern California
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Dude you have some serious Argentina hate.

Half your posts are about them.

Anyways I haven't seen any sore losers this time around. Our team has been one of the best well-received back home out of anyone.

22. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It doesn't feel like that. There's no criticism in the papers I'm reading about Maradona, there's not starring each other in the face saying we told each other so. There's parades, love and encouragement to keep using him. We're wasting the greatest player in a generation on someone who doesn't know a lick about coaching, and people are satisfied with that.

23. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well I read in one of your posts recently that you have been playing football all your life; yet, quite oddly you think Messi is over-rated.

He was put in a role where his main job was to produce and assist balls. He has four assists in the tournament, and the chances he procured were only offsets by just inches.

If you do think Messi is overrated, would you please tell us who you think is rated properly?

24. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bastian Schweinsteiger, for one. :)

25. Brummsel

Brummsel Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Some kind of "ethnical globalization". ;)

That´s the point. Messi alone cannot win a match on this level, let alone a championship. He desperately needs support from the midfield to give him the opportunity to deliver, either assists or to score himself. And that Argentina lacked in the quarter final (at least). So Messi did not have the freedom to play like he needed to for Argentina to advance. That was decisive in this match, among the early goal Argentina conceded.