Match 59: England vs. France [QF]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2022 - Knockout Stage' started by Paul Calixte, Dec 4, 2022.

1. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Was Hudgson better than Southgate in your opinion?

2. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Not in MY Winter they weren't and certainly NOT in the middle of the season here! I NEVER want to see a World Cup in the middle of the season again.

3. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Why Not? Why does the Season matter so much?

4. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As England manager no but compare the players he had compared to those we have had coming through the last few years.

Southgate has had a great squad during his tenure and we're repeatedly coming up short whenever it matters, most of his tournament success has come from relatively easy run-ins to the latter stages.

Aside from success with England U21's all Southgate has achieved is mid-table with Middlesbrough before eventually getting them relegated. If we want to become a top tier team then we need a top tier manager.

5. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    That is mainly why I asked. Your team in World Cup 2014 and Euro 2016 was very mediocre and in transition period. I think you guys are much better in terms of players and quality now. How good would've Hudgson done with the squad now?

6. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's impossible to tell but I just think someone with a lot more experience and man management skills/personality might have won us a trophy during the past 3 tournaments, given the relative strength of our squad over the last 5 years and how other European nation teams all seem to be at a bit of a low point we've had 3 of the best chances of lifting a trophy in my lifetime under Southgate and blown it with limp performances every time.

It seems to me Southgate has been pretty much groomed for the top job and is just a yes man for the FA, if he put as much effort into changing tactics and making substitutions when needed as he does in pushing political campaigns like kneeling before the match then he might be worth keeping on. We got battered by the USA in the group stages and he didn't change anything for 75mins and I'm still laughing at bringing Grealish on with 2mins left to play against France.

7. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Southgate's biggest strength is his man management. It's generally been his tactics/game approach where he's been found wanting.

8. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He doesn't seem to get them fired up for the big matches though which is a big part of man management, perhaps they just aren't afraid of him or they're being treated too much with kid gloves.

All of the talk in the papers currently is on whether Southgate will resign (rather than be sacked), that to me says he's too comfortable in his job and so are the players because they all get endless praise for reaching the latter stages and losing to a big team.

It's a loser mentality, we should be drubbing it into the players that anything less than winning the tournament is a failure even if that's not always realistic. If the manager knows his job is safe and the players know they'll get a big pat on the back for effort then they aren't going to give that extra 10% that might mean the difference between winning and losing to France in the quarter final, Croatia in the semi final, Belgium in the 3rd place play-off and Italy in the final. Other nations seem to play with a passion and desire to win that I've rarely seen from an England team.

I remember a few years ago at one of the tournaments the commentators were mocking Germany for having already booked their team hotel for the final, you could call that big-headed but it's because they have a winning mentality and they want their players to know anything less than reaching the final is a failure.

I agree about the tactical side of his game though and that's probably one of the major reasons he can't beat one of the big teams.

SoccerMomof2 repped this.
  9. Clunker

Clunker Member

Barnsley
    England
    Dec 23, 2019
    Never win anything with Southgate in charge time to get rid

10. oc2004

oc2004 Member

Dec 6, 2009
    So, the WC should be played only in a place that doesn't interrupt your football/soccer season.

You should write to FIFA to make a request.

11. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The WC has until this year always been held June/July time, the international match calendar is devised around that.

It seems perfectly reasonable to continue that tradition.

Paul Calixte repped this.