Match 59: England vs. France [QF]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2022 - Knockout Stage' started by Paul Calixte, Dec 4, 2022.

1. Jon Stakes

Jon Stakes Member+

Egypt
    Nov 18, 2022
    France got away with a lot of atrocious fouling, both PKs easy calls, but how can you make so many bad fouls in and around the box at this level?

2. oc2004

oc2004 Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Every Quarterfinal has been incredibly good!

3. SoccerMomof2

SoccerMomof2 Member

Chelsea
    Nigeria
    Feb 23, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    It never was:rolleyes::rolleyes:

4. Jon Stakes

Jon Stakes Member+

Egypt
    Nov 18, 2022
    They certainly defended like Cameroon.

5. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Southgate doesn’t deserve to be blamed. England played well, but Kane’s penalty miss costed them.

6. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Mbappe kinda quiet today

7. tripwire

tripwire Member+

Sep 23, 2012
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    He has had many tries, so it's time for a new direction. Saka coming off was questionable.

Jon Stakes repped this.
  8. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've been saying it last few tournaments, he is the weakest link as good as our squad has been under him as soon as we face up against a top team he's out-thought and we come up short. Fancy putting Grealish on and "going for it" with only 2mins of injury time left. Even if Kane had scored the second penalty it would only have papered over the cracks. France were not that good but they were clinical in scoring and that's what we lacked.

9. oc2004

oc2004 Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Taking out Saka made no sense.

SoccerMomof2 and Jon Stakes repped this.
  10. danni1

danni1 Member

Fiorentina
    England
    Jan 28, 2020
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    To be honest the one thing that I think England do lack is a winner's mentality, it might sound bad to say but they do play like gentleman against ruffians, and this does hinder us. I think team unity is good but the team's hunger isn't, thats not to say they aren't passionate, of course they are.

The next England coach should work on this, the issue is I can't think of any noticable English coaches that can inspire that.. I'm starting to think maybe Mourinho need's a new challenge,..

11. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    This was the best match of this World Cup and an early final.

Congrats to France. I back them now to repeat.

12. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    France is missing Kante . . . a midfield bulldog who can also organize the guys behind him. They don't have anyone wo can do that. They're challenge against Morocco will be completely 100% about organizing in transition. That should be their sole focus over the next few days.

13. Jon Stakes

Jon Stakes Member+

Egypt
    Nov 18, 2022
    Morocco is no favorite of course, but France has the worst World Cup track record against African nations of any major country.

14. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Kane should let English NT in peace now.
    Seriously how many tournaments hé will ******** their chances in the last rounds?
    Man give your fans a break.

15. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    So who should England hire if Southgate gets the sack? I think he has done a decent job.

danni1 repped this.
  16. krakdol

krakdol Member

PSG
    France
    Jul 18, 2018
    To be fair, England should have won in my opinion here, they were slightly better. But they missed their final chances and that was the bit of luck that gave it to France.

Southgate should stay, England has a great team with great players, they'll be even harder to beat in 2 or 4 years.

Fancy Suspect and Jon Stakes repped this.
  17. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    One of the worst matches of football I have seen. Horribly low quality. You have trash taste as expected based on your 'predictions'

18. danni1

danni1 Member

Fiorentina
    England
    Jan 28, 2020
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree, Southgate has done a decent job, and credit to him, but I don't think he's the one that can shape their mentality.

NorcalHockeyhooligan repped this.
  19. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jude Bellingham is a generational talent who ever lands him will be blessed Bukayo Saka what a tournament

krakdol repped this.
  20. tripwire

tripwire Member+

Sep 23, 2012
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Many are pointing to Pochettino, Howe, or Potter from what I'm hearing.

21. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Someone who won't come up second best every time we face a good team with an experienced manager, with the money he's on we'll be able to get anybody. The match against USA in the group stages should have set alarm bells ringing I thought they were the better team and were unlucky not to win.

22. tripwire

tripwire Member+

Sep 23, 2012
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not laying blame all at Southgate, but sometimes changes are needed for a different mentality of the squad, and it starts at the top.

Kamtedrejt and SoccerMomof2 repped this.
  23. babaorum

babaorum Member+

Aug 20, 2005
    Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Totally underrated. He doesn't score anymore for France, but he's become a fabulous playmaker.

johnbarley2 and Kamtedrejt repped this.
  24. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Congratulations to France. Not their best showing, with Mbappe mostly quiet, but both goals the French scored were nice. England created more chances, was robbed of a couple more by the referee, but the game was ultimately decided by the penalty Kane missed.

SoccerMomof2 and Jon Stakes repped this.
  25. Al Gabiru

Al Gabiru Member

Jan 28, 2020
    Griezmann was great. Alongside the two assists, he showed a great defensive work, first in the touches and in the applied pressure. Mpabbe quiet.

In England, Southgate was really bad today. He didn't make all five substitutions, although missed most of the game. He took the best player out of the field, Saka. And put Grealish with 30 seconds to go. Very bad!