Match 57: URU : FRA - PITANA (ARG)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018: Refereeing' started by balu, Jul 5, 2018.

1. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    The one where Geiger gets praised to the roof on these boards for calling a PK when the Colombian player was merely "lightly hugging" Harry Kane....

So "lightly hugging" in the box is a PK, but actual shirt-pulling is not ????

2. oxwof

oxwof Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The Colombian player was riding Kane like he was in a rodeo.

3. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That wall might have been 8 yds. Is it just me or have there been lots of close walls like that this tournament?

4. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Mpappe [sp] hit a Uraguayan in the head in the ensuing conflagration. I only saw that on the replay once, and wasn't fully focused, but it looked like an action that MLS VR would have turned into a send off.

I'm going to ask Mr. Roarke and Tattoo to help with the next WC to set a standard so that players know BS will be punished so that they don't push the barriers and create these messes.

oxwof repped this.
  5. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was SPA handling if the score wasn't 2-0 in the 92nd minute.

6. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Yes. Grabbing someone and taking him to the ground is a PK. Shirt-pulling and holding is not.

You may not like it, but that’s pretty much how it’s been called.

akindc repped this.
  7. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now we're hopping in the way-back machine.

oxwof repped this.
  8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  9. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's right Mr. Know-it-all

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Early era MLS ref with about your dimensions. Michael Kennedy short, but skinnier.

11. YoungRef87

YoungRef87 Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 5, 2018
    Early era MLS ref with about your dimensions. Michael Kennedy short, but skinnier.[/QUOTE]

Ah. So there is hope after all! :)

12. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    He was using his arms to restrict his movement (which most defenders do to some extent on virtually every set piece into the box), but he never actually held him.

So how does that compare to actual shirt-pulling?

What I'm trying to point out is the inconsistency.....

13. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Except the Columbian player neither grabbed Kane nor pulled him to the ground.
    He used his arms to restrict Kane's movement and Kane went to the ground of his own volition trying to get free.

To me that is a less egregious offense than actually shirt-pulling....

14. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    The broadcast director helped Pitana greatly today, not showing multiple replays of the various VC-possible incidents, unlike what happened during the England-Colombia game.

Despite the mass confrontation in this game, it will not be blamed on the referee due to 1) Uruguay never really being in this game, 2) lack of controversial penalty/red card (even though those incidents were there and not shown again), and 3) the nationality of the referee is not an easy scapegoat.

merzbau, Wolfbeatseagle and code1390 repped this.
  15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    My photo archives don't go back far enough, but I did use him on the cover of the ECG back in 2001. Here he is with Robin Fraser

[​IMG]

16. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009

Another nice example. While size is a tool in establishing presence (especially when crowding occurs), it isn't the be all and end all. @YoungRef87 Look for short refs (including women) to see the tools they use to establish presence without coming across as having a Napoleon Complex. I'm tall, so I don't have personal experience to help you on this one, but I'd suggest things like sharp whistling, strong signals, and exhibiting confidence are going to be important tools for you. You might want to start a thread on this in the main ref forum, as I'm confident that there are refs on there with great personal experience on how to establish presence without the crutch of size that helps some of us.

17. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, I grew up with 4 channels of TV - the big 3 plus PBS with standout programming: Monty Python and German soccer highlights.

18. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're either drunk, delusional, or just can't see. He was riding Kane like a donkey. Holding at first? Sure. Eventually he was on his back with a bear hug.

M, YoungRef87 and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Dragging this further off-topic. I wouldn't recommend modeling a career after either, and I wouldn't suggest either was exempt from a Napolean Complex. Kenny got a season ending second unsatisfactory assessment in 2002(?) after an ill-tempered 0-0 KC/DC game at RFK where he awarded DC two PKs, the second of which included a retake for infringement. And as an SKC fan, the less said about Michael Kennedy's performance in MLS Cup 2004, the better. Serafini would probably be a better model for a shorter official in my opinion.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  20. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    I think this is not Kennedy, but Noel Kenny. Also a vertically challenged but good referee!

21. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    isn't that holding?

22. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Where are you Toby Charles? Oh how we need you now!
    An announcer who knew what he was talking about and how to make the game interesting for the viewers.

Don't forget Fawlty Towers!

PH

Lloyd Heilbrunn and MrPerfectNot repped this.
  23. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Yes it is, but so is shirt-pulling....

My point is that one got called, but not the other.....

Guinho repped this.
  24. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Until that thread is going - check out some of the work of Karen Abt, a FIFA ref from the US - she's not tall or commanding in physical presence - but I've seen her ref top-level Amateur men's matches - she can be friendly, stern, imposing or cajoling - all as necessary to help the match play out fairly and credibly.

seattlebeach repped this.
  25. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    It never affected me when I was reffing. :cool:

-football-referee-football-players.jpg