Match 57 (QF) - Netherlands v Brasil - Post-Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Knockout Rounds' started by JaredSS07, Jul 2, 2010.

1. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Re: Match 59 (QF) - Netherlands v Brasil - Post-Match Thread [R]

LOL, I know what you mean. It was terrible :D

2. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran

But in the end, nobody really gives a F...

3. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran

we played 2:1 during the game.

How's that? ;)

4. Mr. Mister

Mr. Mister New Member

Jul 2, 2010
    Netherlands won fair and square. Deserved = 100%

5. AllStarz

AllStarz Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  6. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I did. ;) I told a mate that Dunga's guys would very likely regret not having extended the lead before the interval ... and it turned out to be right. Your guys were surely lucky to profit from that incredible goalie mistake/own goal & silly red card, but definitely deserved those 2 goals due to a clear improvement in performance! Congrats.

7. Overtkill

Overtkill New Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Awesome match. Best I've seen so far.

Holland deserved this victory 100%. Everything has been said about the way the game turned out. And after reading this thread I've seen two types of reactions from the Brazilians. One side that congratulate the Dutch and they say they deserved it. That is respectful. The other side of reactions is that the best team didn't win and the ref sucked and that the Dutch played dirty, blabla.

It's obvious that the Dutch started playing dirtier than they normally do because Brazil started the whole match doing exactly that. The Dutch could take those Brazilian fouls against Robben and keep playing respectful but that makes you feel uncomfortable on the field at the very least.

I have to agree that Robben fell quite easily on several occasions. But I've seen the Brazilians do the same, so they shouldn't complain.

I think the ref was excellent by the way.

Another thing I have to get off my chest was the way a lot of the Brazilian players and Dunga acted on the field and in the dug-out. An absolute disgrace.

I think this illustrates this game quite well, before and during:

[​IMG]

8. Somedude81

Somedude81 New Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    FC Utrecht
    I can still hardly beleave we actualy won this match :)

Maybe cause most of there big stars from the past where atackers everybody wants to be like Romario score goals and take the credit would be my gues.

9. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    And nobody plays with real wingers anymore so they select them for attacking abilities.

10. AllStarz

AllStarz Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  11. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Little boys with big mouths, always good for a laugh :D

12. nahtstelle

nahtstelle New Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Cologne
    This Holland team is great. Great chemistry, nice balance of fine technique and hard work, not shy to pound the ball high up the stands if needed. Van Bommel as the outstanding presence in midfield, always the right decision at the right time, tackling, solid passing, intelligent fouls to stop the flow of the game. Props to the finest football school in the world. Now Uruguay - tough one.

I had been impressed by Brazil up to this point, but kind of expected a collapse once they'd fall behind. Dunga did a solid job. Circus football was yesterday and isn't leading to success anymore. All the talk about the "tactical corset" is nonsense imo. Every team needs a tactical setting which players can operate in, and Dunga's was still giving the players plenty of freedom for their creativity. But you see in small tactical aspects of the game (e.g. Luis Fabiano's defensive positioning in several scenes) that some players haven't fully grasped it yet - or they think they don't need it. Especially the offensive players. Shame for all the hard and excellent work Lucio, Juan, Maicon etc. have done in this World Cup.

13. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brazil dominated the first half and should have been up by more. Felipe Melo sent a long pass down the middle of the Dutch defense, and Robinho ran onto it for the goal. The second half was a different story. Netherlands started pressing in the midfield and continuously attacked the weaker Brazilian left side with Bastos. Eventually they got their goal with the help of a Felipe Melo own goal and keeper miscue. Later, Felipe Melo left Sneijder unmarked on a corner kick, and scored from a flick-on from Kuyt. Then in the 73', Felipe Melo petulantly stamped on Robben for a rec card dismissal. Brazil tried again and again to equalize, but with only 10 men it was too much to ask.

The funny thing is that Felipe Melo was responsible for all the goals in this match. :) :eek:

14. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Melo and Gyan can embrace their roles as tragic hero's in this epic world cup.
    Goethe would be proud!

Nothing can beat Zidane's Oedipus tho

15. QueenRubine

QueenRubine New Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Groningen
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Sneijder credited with first goal in Dutch quarter-final victory!!!

Shots which are on target (i.e. goal bound) and come off a defender, or shots which rebound from the goal-frame and bounce-off a defender or goalkeeper may be considered as an own goal, but in the instance of the Netherlands opening goal against Brazil, the TSG have decided to credit the goal to the attacking player.
    Therefore, Netherlands midfielder Wesley Sneijder now has 4 goals so far in the 2010 FIFA World Cup™, taking him level with Gonzalo Higuain (Argentina), Robert Vittek (Slovakia) and David Villa (Spain) at the top of the goal scoring chart.

:D!!

16. Re: Match 59 (QF) - Netherlands v Brasil - Post-Match Thread [R]

And the Germans the new Dutch.....:eek: Oh my god ..the end of times has definitively come ... the signs are there:eek:

17. Awareness

Awareness New Member

Jun 3, 2006
    Leiden
    Club:
    AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Sneijder credited with first goal
    in Dutch quarter-final victory

[​IMG]

Who should get the credit for a goal? At times it is not 100 per
    cent clear, but in the case of a FIFA competition, it is the FIFA
    Technical Study Group who ultimately decide.

Shots which are on target (goal bound) and come off a defender,
    or shots which rebound from the goal-frame and bounce-off a
    defender or goalkeeper may be considered as an own goal, but in
    the instance of the Netherlands opening goal against Brazil, the
    TSG have decided to credit the goal to the attacking player.

Therefore, Netherlands midfielder Wesley Sneijder now has 4 goals
    so far in the 2010 FIFA World Cup™, taking him level with Gonzalo
    Higuain
    (Argentina), Robert Vittek (Slovakia) and David Villa (Spain)
    at the top of the goal scoring chart.

Source:
    http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1266860/?intcmp=tweets_voiceofthesite

18. ajaxpsv

ajaxpsv New Member

Nov 8, 2004
    L.A.
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This what I saw, and thought on replays. The ball thouched Melo's head but it's flight did not change. It was a Sneijder goal. Great. :)

19. fairwitness

fairwitness New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Great goals and a great game by Sneijder.

Robben, on the other hand, was an embarrassment. From the opening kick-off onward, the slightest bump would send him leaping dramatically into the air and flopping onto the ground, rolling and grimacing (and, of course, getting up immediately afterwords with zero ill affects). The slow-mo replays of the so-called fouls were especially revealing, with the English commentators repeatedly making comments along the lines of "nothing there". Guys like Robben and that other play actor on the Ivory Coast give the sport a bad name.

Having said that, the red on Melo was deserved. Dumb.

20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Sure :rolleyes:

I have no problems in saying when we were the worst team. In 2006 we deserved to lose to France. We were thoroughly dominated. I dare you to watch the 2nd half before the 1st goal and say that it was any different than most of the 1st half.

I don't mind the playing dirty part because we do it too. I can't be a hypocrite. We could have handled the situation better.

21. Dutch Treat

Dutch Treat Member

May 6, 2005
    Amsterdam|Alphen a/d Rijn
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Brazil was very much in control the first half and the start of the second. But the Dutch started to press more and look for errors. They found one.

All about a single moment and the momentum afterwards, and why I love this game. It was a pretty tense game with all the drama, flopping and hacking on both accounts. Someone posted the pic earlier where you see Robinho shouting in van Bommel's face, that picture says it all. The Dutch kept their cool, Brazil did not.

Shame to see Brazil go, I always love watching them.

1 person likes this.
  22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Repped. Good luck from now on.

23. Surinamese-man

Aug 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Surinam
    Heavy loss for Brasil,and i also feel the sadness with them.

But Brasil can be proud of all those world titles they had in the past.

The fact is,nothing is forever,if you lose,your done,that's football.And next time,try to be better like before.

Dunga has failed,and i hope there will be a better coach for Brasil the next time.

24. Conifeertje

Conifeertje Member

Apr 29, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Hard work and a good strategical approach in the 2nd half means the Dutch can now reap the fruits of their labor. Brazil looked like a waning candle in the 2nd half. Not to mention how easy they were provoked and overreacting once they were a goal behind. A rough match, not very pretty , but spectacular and intense nonetheless. Bastos and Van Bommel should've been redded too. Beforehand tactical analysis stated the most important Brazilian vulnerabilities were 1) Weak defense @ corners/free kicks. 2) Build-up of Brazil is weak behind, when they are pressured and forced to play compact.
    In the second half the Dutch did this well and the only weapon the Brazilians then had was the deep ball trying to reach their (very dangerous) trio offense.
    Overall a classic win, won solely on character, but no advert for beautiful soccer. It was to be expected beforehand.

Sayonara Brazil, 1994 i'll give you, but 1998... karma is a *@&#@. Hope to see you again in 2014 samba-style, nothing personal, we know how it feels to go out when you play well. :)

25. Surinamese-man

Aug 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Surinam
    I agree with you.Where was the "Samba" style,i've missed that.
    They shouldn't play in another way.I mean,Brasil is not Brasil without Samba,i always like the way they play their game.

But this time,jesus man,i didn't saw their own game.