Match 56: Portugal (H1) vs. Switzerland (G2)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2022 - Knockout Stage' started by Paul Calixte, Dec 3, 2022.

1. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Most of the people saying it here aren't Portuguese fans.

2. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Well Portugal got a very balanced team they are class in every départements. Only thé gk seems debatable.

3. monster- exodia

May 23, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Morocco
    i know portugese fans , it was a fun B group back in 2018

4. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    GK has been excellent apart from that Ghana incident. The play yesterday when he let go of the ball, the cross was a bullet and he palmed it close to the end of the 6-yard box....it was going to a completely free Swiss striker. He saved an easy goal with a brilliant reaction.

Jon Stakes repped this.
  5. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The WC 2018 group stage encounter between Portugal and Morocco was really boring. 1-0 to Portugal; a CR7 goal.

But that was a boring Portugal side, which could grind out results like they did at EC16.
    This is a far more exciting Portugal side. Should make for a livelier game.

6. monster- exodia

May 23, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Morocco
    its not fact if you compare player by player , and yes you clearly underestimate morocco by saying they will score 3 goals on us , which has never ever happend in our world cup history against europeans teams.

7. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Maybe it will be payback for 1986. :D:D

Jon Stakes repped this.
  8. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    If it was the beginning of the tournament i wouldn't think the same.
    You have to take in consideration that few from your main players had to quit the game against Spain. Portugal is prepared physically to play 7 matchs.

Morocco never ran after a score till now in this compétition.
    I think that once Portugal scores and Morocco got to open the field Portugal will have the Spaces to score a second and a third nothing more.

9. monster- exodia

May 23, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Morocco
    2018 not enough for you ? :p

Jon Stakes repped this.
  10. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    But you don't concede the same thing about Croatia and Brazil ?

Jon Stakes repped this.
  11. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    I like Morocco but I do agree with Nico they will be very tired, may have one or two CBs lost for that match which will be a huge loss.

3 days rest, that is crazy.

Portugal has rested players, and have way more quality on the bench than Morocco does.

Yes if Morocco was fresh, they'd still be underdogs but I'd give them a much better chance.

Morocco left it all on the pitch with those 120 minutes.

I think both Morocco and Portugal are better than their 2018 teams (which played a very close match), but Portugal seems to be much more improved.

Anyways it will be an interesting match. Portugal doesn't tiki taka, they are way more purposeful in their possession, but it's football and ANYTHING can happen.

Anti Santos, soccernutter and Nico777 repped this.
  12. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    None of our players left the pitch falling on the ground having injury issues...
    And I am sure that our subs Vlasic Majer Orsic would have won against Japan if they came on the pitch sooner. They just needed few minutes more imo.

Borna Sosa is back for the 1/4 final WE missed him a lot..Barisic was our weakest player on the pitch in this round 16.

vancity eagle repped this.
  13. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Is it though? In top teams of most leagues you play 2 games a week regularly.

14. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    But I did notice your players seemed tired against Japan.

Anyways I have lots of respect for your team, I dont think ever before a non WC winning side has made back to back quarter finals, that is a massive achievement IMO. Even most of the WC winning sides don't usually have that kind of consistency.

Nico777 repped this.
  15. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Japan was a tough dynamic opponent but i think we finished the match better than them.
    Modric was the one exhausted we can't play him 120 minutes anymore but he will be fine for 90.

Yes reaching 1/4 final again is a confirmation and losing against this Brazil wouldn't be a shame, nobody expects us going further but i think we will bother them more than most think. We won't let them play the match they want.

16. Jon Stakes

Jon Stakes Member+

Egypt
    Nov 18, 2022
    Cry me a river.
    8 shots on goal Morocco to 5 Croatia... those are not "bunkering" stats. :rolleyes:

17. Jon Stakes

Jon Stakes Member+

Egypt
    Nov 18, 2022
    #142 Jon Stakes, Dec 7, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
    Opinions are not facts. And football is not exact science.

Facts are for example this: Morocco has played Portugal at the World Cup twice before and this is how it ended the first time (pretty sure people like you would be saying the same thing about Morocco back then):

18. Jon Stakes

Jon Stakes Member+

Egypt
    Nov 18, 2022
    Aguerd got injured, not that he "was out of breath". Apparently he could play on Saturday.

As for Saiss "being subbed" - you mean this Saiss?:

upload_2022-12-7_18-20-24.png

19. Jon Stakes

Jon Stakes Member+

Egypt
    Nov 18, 2022
    Literally two had to. Aguerd and Mazraoui. And I think you've already proven you didn't watch the game, given you had Saiss subbed out.

No team had proper prep team. All teams are equally physically prepared, as all the players are in season.

Portugal also has yet to run after a score. And who is to say Portugal will score first?

20. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Lmao 8 shots from another city don't mean shit. They finished with 2 on target couldn't even get a corner ffs

21. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I have seen, Morocco have looked structurally sound. Not having given up a goal is nothing to dismiss. Portugal are better, and should be able to get a goal or two past them, but I don't think it will similar to Switzerland.

If the match goes to extra time, though, I would not expect Morocco so survive a second consecutive match going to extra time.

22. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    I don't see Portugal destroying Morocco liké Switzerland either. But i think they will win this comfortably. Like 3-1.

23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of people would not exactly describe Pepe as "class." :coffee:

24. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I don't think anyone saw Portugal putting 6 past Switzerland

25. Jon Stakes

Jon Stakes Member+

Egypt
    Nov 18, 2022
    Alternate facts are not facts... You got outplayed and Morocco simply controlled the game, creating the better chances.