Match 54 (R16) - Brazil v Chile - Post-Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Knockout Rounds' started by Caesar, Jun 28, 2010.

1. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    Yep...the plan for Chile was to take Group H and avoid Brazil...we were close but Suazo's injury prevented us from scoring more than our rivals and getting a superior goal difference.

I'll support Ghana and the other S.Americans now.

2. Ezto

Ezto Member

Jun 27, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Chile has way better players than USA.

3. dxclaudio

dxclaudio Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    The reason was he couldn't receive the ball. And the reason for that is that, that's how we play. We defend with our forwards before our mids, and our mids before our defense, and lastly our defense. It had more to do with Chile than Kaka!

4. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    You did notice that Brazil stopped pressuring as much in midfield in the second half to allow us to go forward more, then giving them more space for a counter, right?

Valdivia helped somewhat in the elaboration, but Brazil was giving more room for us to push forward.

5. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    amen.

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    At this point, both teams are in the Top 9 - Top 16 range.

I think they're quite close, actually. USA is a lot better than people in Europe and South America want to concede.

USA, Mexico, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Japan and South Korea are good teams, in spite of their confederations. It's a bit of snobbery that stops some people from recognizing that.

7. dxclaudio

dxclaudio Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

Nah, seriously I noticed our defense changed to
    Vidal, Fuentes, Jara
    -----Carmona
    Isla----------Tello
    ------Valdivia
    Sanchez, suazo, bose

When this happened we moved our lines up and started pressuring further forward (more back for brazil).

8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Man, I want to see this Chile playing in Copa America. But that means keeping El Loco, and maybe getting someone to help him with defending. He still lacks there.

IMHO, Chile is the team that has played the most innovative football I've seen in this cup.

9. dxclaudio

dxclaudio Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    The USA had an easy group. Did you see them play against England? There's no mid field. Againts Ghana there was no pressure.

They don't know how to pass a ball and push forward. When their in trouble they give it to the keeper and he just kicks it passed mid field. Chile comes out playing, making plays.

I'm not dogging the US, I was cheering for them. I live in Miami, so c'mon. Mexico plays a little better, Ghana and Ivory coast are both pretty good teams. But USA individuality vs Chile's individuality there's no comparison man.

this might be the only advantage, even though Bravo is a good keeper howard > Bravo.

10. dxclaudio

dxclaudio Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Let's go I'm saving money for next year!

Bielsa does need to stay I was talking shit mad because he turned into nelson acosta for the 1st half which pissed me off. Either way Im proud and good luck Brazil we love y'all.

And thanks for Bielsa I love argentina too.

Vamos Argentina, Brazil, urugay and paraguay dammit!

11. zant

zant Member

Sep 7, 2009
    trikala,greece
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You forget that it was the first one and most crucial imo,which pretty match opened your defence and resulted in this defeat.Until the first brazil goal, chile was not bad.Ok,sure their play was not so fluid because of the lack of an enganche,but brazil wasn't much of a threat either.My point is that this defeat is not a flaw of chile's system.It is more like an indication that you have problem facing physical teams.This sounds more like biology to me,but it is true.The game was pretty much a replay of the copa america 2007 final.Chile had the possession and brazil the goals.I wanted so much chile to advance ,but....

12. Chocolate Bunny

Jun 13, 2006

Paraguay has Brazil's number because they are not delusional like Bielsa and the Chileans, they don't pretend to be Brazil.... they know that the way to defeat Brazil is: control the ball, press relentessly, slowdonw the flow of the game, don't give up space ... force Brazil to risk and make mistakes

Unfortunately, Bielsa is obsessed with the idea that his teams must defeat Brazil in its own game: open spaces, fast passes, full out attack .... suicidal, if you ask me :rolleyes:

13. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Good match by Chile. They have been a joy to watch this cup. Too bad they had to come up against us so early in the tournament, due to the draw. Playing like they did, I have little doubt that they would have beat Ghana, and, arguably, they're also better team than either Paraguay or Japan. They deserved to be in the last 8.

That said, they were simply outclassed today.

Great defending and clinical countering by Brasil.

Juan should be MOTM. Perfect on defense, and scored the opener with that rocket of a header off the corner.

14. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    You are so wrong. Chile does not play offensive football because of delusions of grandeur, we play offensive football with pressure high up the pitch because in this way we 'disguise' our shortcoming in defence (mainly hight related).

The last time Chile tried to bunker against Brazil with Nelson Acosta as coach? 6-1!

Playing high pressure up the pitch we get 3-0 and 4-2 which is a lot better imo. Shame is we lacked a finisher of quality...if only Bielsa had Zamorano and Salas at his disposal... :rolleyes:

15. reckless_mf

reckless_mf Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    From tonight's match I have concluded that Kaka is physically past it at the grand old age of 28! He was constantly getting outpaced by the Chilean defenders. Sure he set up the first goal but the bursting runs are gone forever.

He's just like Ronaldinho, both lost their pace by their mid to late 20s. When really it should go in your early 30s.

16. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    YES. Also apparent in the game against Ecuador, in Quito, and both games against Uruguay. You're right on the money.

There are things that could be done to improve on that respect, but I'm not entirely sure Bielsa wants to address them if it means playing more conservately against these teams.

17. vhatever

vhatever Red Card

Jun 16, 2010
    USA
    Grats Brazil. As I predicted in the pre match thread, this would end up a 3-0 score. chile played a lot better than I expected until they let the game get away from them. They looked like the better team for most of the first half and Brazil's first two goals were the result of completely busted defenses. The third goalwas just Brazil showng they were the better team, and so they go on, like every other R16 match thus far.

18. Chocolate Bunny

Jun 13, 2006
    Instead than just "disguise" Chile's defence shortcoming, why not to improve Chile's defence for real?. But it seems like Bielsa feel always more confortable attacking than defending under any circunstance.

Talking about bunkering is kind of deceiving, because nobody is saying that Chile should do so against Brazil. Aggressive defense is not "bunkering". I can't imagine Paraguay or Uruguay bunkering against Brazil :confused:

And Nelson Acosta and his 6-1 is out of this discussion.... even with all his shortcomings Bielsa is way above el raton :D

19. DanFla

DanFla Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Ok Chile team has a offensive style but against Brasil they must recognize they dont have the same talent and should try a defensive style. More than ever this brasilian team love to play against offensive teams using the counter-atack

20. ridv34

ridv34 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    We would but like my compatriot said, last time we played defensive soccer like that the score was 6-1, not 3-0. I'll take today's game over that. And if Chile could improve its defensive game, it would, unfortunately, our best players usually are very short, which means we get beat a lot in the air (like what happened to day).

To the other poster: It almost has to do with genetics as to why Chile can't have a great defense, but you're right, we should over come that in one way or another.

21. peruano_stoner

peruano_stoner New Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Lima
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    buena chile jugaron con garra ca********** asi se juega, se van con la frente en alto, a huevo.
    saludos desde lima

congrats chile. played with a lot of heart
    made us southamericans proud

22. DanFla

DanFla Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Brasil 6-1 was in 2007 the team changed alot, nowadays Brasil team has many difficulties against very defensive teams. Dunga teams is not very creative against this style, even with Kaka and Robinho because both are not in their better shape.

23. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    .... or Suazo at 100 %,

....and as for what was in the past, I`d say if Elías Figueroa and Alberto Quintano were in this team, playing at their best, this same Brazil with luck and with at least 2 or 3 more players of advantage, would have been able to score only one goal. The glory from the past is already in the past, leave it there, and live only the present...... ;)

24. Rivelino87

Rivelino87 Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Atletico Belo Horizonte
    Maybe you're right. He didn't have a good game today. I hope you're wrong. He took alot of punishment in Serie A, and delayed operation at Madrid this season (which he barely played in) for his pubalgia, so he would be [semi] fit for the WC. We'll know for sure within the next couple seasons.

25. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Ghana etc etc are not Brazil.