Match 54 (R16) - Brazil v Chile - Post-Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Knockout Rounds' started by Caesar, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    ----------------------------------------------

Brasil 3 :: 0 Chile

This thread is neutral and strictly moderated.

Please take strongly partisan discussion to the
    team boards or to the World Rivalry board.

----------------------------------------------
    No Flames - No Trolls
    ----------------------------------------------​

2. dxclaudio

dxclaudio Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    This is bielsa's fault!!!!!!!!!!!

I didnt expect to win, but what i saw when valdivia came in i expected a lot more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Brazil didnt touch the ball again in the 2nd half except the goal they had!!!
    Why the ******** did you go without enganche!!! Mati valdivia dont matter should of used one you idiot!!! I wabnted you back but after showing you a rat just like nelson acosta go back home to rosario!!! Or go coach mexico! Leave bastard!!! You taught us how to play like men, and you put nelson acosta's line up in the 1st half wtfffffffffffffff

3. dxclaudio

dxclaudio Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    NEXT COACH FOR US BETTER USE THE 3-3-1-3 LINE UP LIKE BIELSA. AND GO OUT AND PLAY LIKE MEN!!! I NEVER WANT TO PLAY HOW WE USED TO WITH NELSON ACOSTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good job Brazil, but we dominated yall 2nd half!

4. Todorov

Todorov New Member

May 22, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Chile were a huge disappointment today.

Too slow, too soft, too weak. Brazil had a stroll in the park.

5. navijacica

navijacica Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Brasil advances as expected. They made the game almost look easy ... incredible

What I am a bit worried though is Kaka who either cannot keep his focus for whole match or is simply not fit yet to play 90 minutes. I think Kaka missing in 2nd half was quite a blow for BRA counter attack and attack.

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    This result can be deceiving. Chile's style plays right into the hands of Brazil. Chile leaves wide spaces and they attack using a "rhombus" formation.

Brazil benefits greatly from that. Since the individual players are so good, leaving open spaces means they can create their magic.

A team that forces Brazil to play in closed spaces and frustrates them with pressing and constant hustling can frustrate them.

I've seen Paraguay do just that.

7. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    LoL...you are a fool if you think Chile could have done much better with any formation, you can only do so much with what you have at your disposal. Los chaqueteros de siempre!

I seriously hope Bielsa stays with us but I doubt it. He is the best coach I have seen taking charge of Chile and there is no way we would even be in this world cup without him. Gracias Loco!

I predicted a 3-1 defeat...I was hoping for at least 1 goal for Suazo...shame about his injury. :(

8. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    This. It was a bad matchup...anyone who thought otherwise knows little of football.

9. navijacica

navijacica Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Agreed. Though Bra did crush Korea ...

As for Bielsa. I don't think he coached bad, but I agree it was weird, as I said before match, that Valdivia is not in first 11 since they had noone to make attacks

10. nfiniti

nfiniti Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Rutherford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    Bielsa should stay on.. he made 1 ..just 1 mistake, not starting an enganche, but they had their chances, just that Brasil under Dunga has found a perfect balance of defense and offense..

11. Ronaldinho_M

Ronaldinho_M New Member

Jul 15, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't know how you can call this a "huge" disappointment. Didn't Brazil win both legs of their qualifying matches, winning 3-0 in Santiago?

12. guedegba

guedegba New Member

Jun 6, 2006
    Uruguay with their steady defense, if they can get past Ghana will be the toughest test for Brazil, I have not been impressed by Holland so far, and I don't think that they will be too much of a problem for Brazil. Ghana is a question mark, anything can happen if they make it to the semis as the first african team.

13. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brazil pretty much did whatever they wanted, and Chile had no answer.

14. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    Yep...Paraguay could also have a shot but I can't see them in the final...

15. dxclaudio

dxclaudio Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

Se nota que soy de la U weon!

Look Bielsa has been the best coach we have ever had BY FAR! What I am pissed off about is that he taught us how to play with balls, he taught us to attack. He realized our defense is weak, so the more we attack the less we have to defend. Yet after 2-3 years of constant 3-3-1-3 and constant pressure and attack he decides to play 4-3-3 with no enganche!

Did you notice every ball Suazo touched in the 1st he received it with his back to the goal, because there's no enganche! Did you see the 2nd half. Brazil attacked 2 times, one was a goal and the other robinho kicked it out.

We dominated them in the 2nd half, look at the ball possession stat if you can find it. It would of been a whole lot closer if Bielsa didn't rescind to Nelson acosta and left our mentality of attack attack attack and 3-3-1-3!

If you don't have the game recorded let me know Ill send it to you so you can evaluate the 2nd half!

16. dxclaudio

dxclaudio Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    By the way, I am from Chile die hard fan and I am extremely happy in the heard we showed in the 2nd half! The only thing I'm a little bitter about is how we ********ed up by playing without enganche in the first!

Stay Bielsa, but always make us play our game, don't worry about the other team.

Anyone that says that Brazil danced laps around usdidnt watch the 2nd half! We did what we wanted with them!

Proud of Chile's 2nd half can't stress that enough. Thank you chile for playing like men on all games except 1st half vs Brazil! We showed heart, and Im proud.

17. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    I admire Chile they went down fighting and with alot of heart.

18. zant

zant Member

Sep 7, 2009
    trikala,greece
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So,how would the use of valdivia have prevented the fact that chile is the shortest team in this cup and cannot compete with the brazilian players in free kicks?:rolleyes: Chile lack physicality and their style is what teams like brazil want.However you should be proud of your team.You played exceptionally throughout the cup and i am sure the award of the most entertaining team of the cup will go to chile.

19. Tread

Tread New Member

Jul 1, 2009
  20. navijacica

navijacica Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Actually much worst 2nd half was a direct consequence to Kaka's play or better yet lack of play. It is extremely scary for Brasil that they have practically only one play on whole bench who can connect their game.

What I am wondering is if Kaka was that worst because of better defense (i did not see that). If he is unfit to play 90 minutes that will be a problem for BRA. BRA game looked a bit like against IC in 2nd half

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I hope Bielsa stays.

But you can only do so much with your players. See Hitzfeld, who is (IMO) a genius coaching: he couldn't take his mediocre Swiss side to the second round. Lack of material.

Same with Chile. A few excellent players, but overall a rather mediocre team. Enough to get to the second round, but at some level it bottoms out. Same with the USA (even though people are blaming Bradley with some reason).

You can only get as far as the players' ability will take you. Exceptions are rare, like Greece in the Euro '04. It can happen, and a team of mediocre hustlers with a great team spirit can make it to semis, if they got the right path there.

But that's pretty much it.

PS: I was missing the "barra" for Chile. In Copa America, they have this awesome chant that goes:

"Viiiiii...vaaaa.....Chi....leeeee
    Viiiiii...vaaaa.....Chi....leeeee
    Viiiiii...vaaaa.....Chi....leeeee
    VIVA CHILE!"

The last one is very fast and goes tum-tum-tum-tum.

The atmosphere in Brazil is going to be incredible. :)

22. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I thought the conservative game plan from the beginning was smart. Bielsa was not being as risky as in other games.

Our lack of height in defense was our death song. Had that Juan gol not happened, we could've gone scoreless into the second half. The second Brazil goal was a direct result of Chile opening up trying to tie the game up.

After that, the responsability was on us to look for a goal and Brazil did what Brazil does best. Game over.

I do wish we could shoot on target more often, but I understand that if a shot is deflected it could open us up for another counter.

The rest is history. Having Brazilians running at you on a counter just proved to deadly for us, really have no response against something like that. I really wish Bielsa could work on these points because physically superior teams prove to be too much for us.

23. Ezto

Ezto Member

Jun 27, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I am not sad about this. We played our style and played well. This has been a good world cup for Chile. Those of you who put "blames" are just talking out of your ass. It is no ones's fault that we lost today. Brazil just knew how to play against us and thats all. We fought to the end and played nice football.
    I pity those Chileans who wish to go back to the old "rat" teams we used to be. Defend against Argentina, Brazil, England, so on and so forth because they have more history than us. We go out to win and if we lose doing it, its fine with me. I NEVER WANT TO SEE A CHILE PLAYING LIKE SWITZERLAND, GREECE, OR ITALY.

24. dxclaudio

dxclaudio Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    It would of made the difference in the fact that we would have the ball in our feet like the 2nd half unlike the 1st where brazil danced around us. The whole attitude changed when Valdivia came in.

The way bielsa play's is like this: 3 defenders in a triangle. 1 stopper in carmona and two wings in the mid that attack and defend every play. Then you have your valdivia or Matiaz who facilitate through the middle to the front/wings to start the attack. then the 2 wing attackers and 1 center forward. If we don't have that "enganche" (valdivia or mati) then you have your center forward or your stopper trying to fill that role which neither of them did a good job at (Suazo or Carmona).

Since this is what happened we never were able to control the ball. We just kept loosing it and kept kicking from defense up like the US does. When Valdivia came in Brazil did NOT touch the ball again. They had 2 plays and one was a goal but besides that it was all chile in the 2nd.

And your rationale about shortest team has nothing to do with my argument. Only one of their goals had anything to do with height.

And I am very proud, I'm jut bitter at the fact that this could of been different if Bielsa played his game instead of fearing to get a goleada, which STILL happened!

Copa america 2011 here I come, please keep it up Chile. Vamos Chile!

Brazil vs argentina final baby!

25. dxclaudio

dxclaudio Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Dude please don't compare Chile's talent to USA.