Match 53: BRA : MEX - ROCCHI (ITA)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018: Refereeing' started by code1390, Jul 1, 2018.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I would like to see cards also reset at the end of group stage or make it 3 YCs instead of 2.

2. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
  3. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    They moved the reset from the end of group to avoid suspensions in the last two games.

4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yep ... after Ballack missed the Final in 2002. I wouldn't mind 3 being the number needed for a suspension.

5. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    Dog will hunt.

6. doctorwhodds

doctorwhodds Member

Sep 18, 2008
    central WI
    Wasn't the 4O standing right at Neymar's feet watching the entire incident? Sure looks that way from the Fox Soccer video posted above. Could he have relayed info to Rocchi??

7. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Was it ever 3 in the World Cup? I keep thinking it was in the 80s but can't find a source.

I think we need to see VAR expand where possible and allow it to help refs take more control of the game on the field. At the same time, increase post-match review of other incidents. Change how players play over the long term. After all this all evolved over decades and isn't going to be fixed overnight.

As for today's incident, I would've been happy with a yellow but I have a feeling any card for Layun would've resulted in a more explosive situation, much harder to control, even though it would have been the right decision.

8. seadondo

seadondo Member

Apr 8, 2008
    Redondo Beach
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about when Ronaldo was cautioned? Was VAR not being used properly then?

9. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    I agree that it was likely deliberate. But I watched your video and noticed a) he also stepped on a ref foot, who did not even flinch and b) it appears that Neymar did not react until he realized what had happened.

The spikes are on the ankle for a second or two and no reaction. Then they are removed (albeit with a push off) and then he flips/flops out.

I think it is also possible that Layun said something to him. Neymar removes his hands from his head, sees who it is, and bingo!

10. AngolaMaldives

AngolaMaldives New Member

Ajax
    France
    Jul 3, 2018
    I don't watch very much pro soccer to be honest so sorry if this is a very dumb question. I'm curious about this play:
    at 3:33 Neymar seems to get by the defender who uses his forearm to push Neymar off the ball. It seems like not that much contact for the pro level and the defender is close enough to the ball that it's almost like a shield, but on the other hand it looks like he got beat if he doesn't push.

At the pro level is this an easy no-call? lean towards no call? could go either way? lean towards call? easy call that the ref missed?
    Would it matter if Neymar went down (i.e. if he dives since clearly he was able to stay up)

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    #136 AndyMead, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    Why take 23 players then? Why not limit rosters to 17-18 players? Suspensions are part of soccer - a team sport. Neymar didn't qualify for Russia 2018, Brazil did.

EDIT: Yeah, Michael Ballack missing the 2002 final was what moved the reset back a game, but Ballack knew the situation and if I recall it was a 2 on none or 2 on 1 South Korea breakaway (I was at the game) and he decided that making the professional foul and ending the breakaway and taking the punishment was worth missing the final. Not giving up that kind of scoring chance was a measured decision. This wasn't one of the will/won't the ref call plays. I can't recall it clearly enough to remember whether a straight red might've been in play (it was pretty cynical), at which point accumulation would've been moot with regards to the final.

This world cup has probably seen the lowest amount of cynical fouling and simulation that I can remember in a very long time. Accumulation, and the threat of accumulation is part of that. Teams have 23 players for a reason. Players get injured, piss off the coach, or carded. Removing accumulation penalties would be an overreaction to a given situation. The unintended consequence of removing accumulation would be more cynical fouling.

12. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Cumulative cards are fundamentally unfair

oxwof and heynowref repped this.
  13. heynowref

heynowref Member

Aug 12, 2015
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    #138 heynowref, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    Ok - it looks like to me that Layun actually stepped on the officials foot as well. Trying to enhance the video a bit and get a closer look.
    Anyone else see this?

neymar foot.jpg

El Rayo Californiano repped this.
  14. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I saw it with the first replay. For some reason the ref didn't roll around on the ground... ;)

El Rayo Californiano repped this.
  15. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    Ha. If Mateu goes down, it’s because he’s actually hurt.

Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  16. grasskamper

grasskamper Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Anyone that believes Lauyon’s actions were not deliberate and likely pre-meditated, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I’d like to discuss with you.

Patrick167 repped this.
  17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I haven't read every single post in this thread, but has anyone suggested that Layun didn't deliberately step on Neymar?!?

18. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Someone did suggest he was just reaching for the ball. Stepping on Neymar does have some entertainment value! :oops:

[​IMG]

19. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    roby repped this.
  20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA