Match 52: CRO : DEN - PITANA (ARG)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018: Refereeing' started by code1390, Jun 30, 2018.

1. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    Pitana told the captains which goal would be used. So yes, either a coin flip occurred off camera or he made an executive decision.

2. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Meh. I don’t have a problem with where the line was drawn. (We’ll, I guess we don’t actually know where it was, but I’m ok with these as non calls at this level. No one is expecting that call here. These were less blatant than they used to be. I do wonder if there was any guidance about tolerance. As he talked to the GKs, you could see Pitana gesturing as if giving a caution, so he clearly told them something.).
    Completely agree. Absolutely nothing wrongat all. The only illegal feint is after reaching the ball.

3. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The players accepted the tolerance given to the GKs and no one went past Schmeichel's first save in ET. I do wonder if we will see GKs push it further in future shootouts.

4. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    As far as DOGSO , at minute 117 it has very little difference if it were a yellow or red. Obviously if Denmark progressed, it would have had a bearing.

5. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    And that is all?? With everything else we have been seeing!:rolleyes:

PH

6. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    If anyone is interested in watching the double coin toss procedure executed at this level, watch Kuipers from today’s early match.

Spencedawgmillionaire repped this.
  7. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Actually it wouldn't. He had a caution from earlier game so would have been suspended for the next game either way. :D

8. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Well that settles that

9. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    GK a little off the line seems like small potatoes vs all of the misconduct and violence that is being allowed during the run of play without being properly sanctioned (not necessarily in this match but in the tournament in general)

espola repped this.
  10. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    But goalkeepers' jobs easier!

11. soccerking1990

Aug 11, 2010
    Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I haven’t been a referee since 2013. Was there some rule change to DOGSO? I was in shock that the defender wasn’t sent off in extra time.

12. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes two years ago. If it's in the penalty area and the defender attempted to play the ball then it's only a yellow.

13. soccerking1990

Aug 11, 2010
    Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s crazy to me. Why would they make that change?

14. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To eliminate the so called "triple punishment". In many DOGSO cases, it's very harsh that the player gives up a PK, gets sent off, and gets suspended. The logic is that the obvious goal scoring opportunity is returned in the form of a PK.

This was an example that was pushing the "spirit" of the change, but the law is the law. The players have accepted the change and you didn't see a mass of players asking for a red card.

15. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d have to look up the language, but my recollection was that in fact it refers to accidental v intentional fouls. There are some kinds of fouls that are still red dogso in the box I beleive

And 2 years old is still new to me. Then again, so is this business of being even with the last defender being onside....

16. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those types of fouls are deliberate handling (see Colombia vs Japan) and fouls with no attempt to play the ball.

The judgement of if a foul is intentional is no where in the LOTG because that would require the referee to read a players mind.

17. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holding, pulling, pushing or not making an attempt to play the ball. Those are the exceptions.

The LOTG are free to download ;)

18. soccerking1990

Aug 11, 2010
    Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. I feel like there was a push for more scoring (favor the offense) when I left. This rule change seems to work opposite of that.

19. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I’ll just point out that “deliberate” and “attempt” include a reading of intent.

( pedantic as hell, I know)

espola repped this.
  20. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I like the new change to the DOGSO carding from an entertainment value. Say this had occured in the 10th minute and we had the old law. We would have had 110 minutes of teams passing the ball around the perimeter....oh, wait that was the Spain match.

Ironbound repped this.
  21. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Feel free to read them

22. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    and a penalty kick is awarded. If a foul resulting in an indirect kick denies an obvious goalscoring opportunity the player is still sent off. Not that I ever expect to see one in my lifetime, mind you.

Guinho repped this.
  23. RealMadridista

RealMadridista Member+

Aug 21, 2006
    Chicago Il
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    IMG_3815.JPG

What a wonderful day
    Croatia won and i get to meet Harrison Ford at Fado bar&grill

He left after many people recognized him.but i shook the hand of Han Solo and Indian Johns today.what an amaIng day

Orange14 repped this.
  24. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The part where the referee doesn’t have to read intent, when in fact we are talking about deliberate handling and attempt to play the ball, both of which require a read of the players intent. And you said there is no such thing as an accidental foul, even though in this case there is. If a player attempt to play the ball but accidentally fouls, that yellow. If he intentionally fouls without intending to play the ball, that’s red. As I initially said.

25. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe you've managed to say four to five incorrect things in that paragraph. There is nothing in the LOTG about judging the intent of a players action.

Deliberate handling and attempting to play the ball are both reading the players actions. A slide tackle where the player gets near the ball is an attempt to play it. That has nothing to do with reading their mind.