Match 51 (R16) - Germany v England - Post-Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Knockout Rounds' started by Caesar, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Germany thankfully (from my point of view:) showed it's 'beautiful' face again (what parallels to the EC 2008) ... obviously the team really managed to bluff Capello & his guys when playing Ghana. ;)

Fully deserved victory with a bitter taste, though (how blind can a linesman be?) ... but well, now we're even with the English, aren't we (remember 1966)? :))

2. Tony M

Tony M Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Ohio
    Club:
    --other--
    England's performance against Germany reminded me of Man U's performance against Barcelona in last year's Champion's League final. Very surprising.

And in the interviews I heard on 606 after the game, the England players did not seem too upset about their loss. Strange.

3. 'appy Addick

'appy Addick New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Portsmouth
    Club:
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I was alive then. I remember seeing the incident quite well at the time.

There is no technology in the world that can accurately re-create the conditions of the third English goal in the 1966 final to prove conclusively whether Geoff Hurst's shot bounced down over the line or not. It will remain forever a mystery.

However, the linesman, who was well placed to see for sure, on that occasion, was certain the goal was legitimate, and called it thus. Back in 1966, the decisions of match officials were respected. Oh what a better game it would be if that attitude prevailed today.

Fast forward forty four years and technology has moved on and was able to prove quite conclusively that Frank Lampard's shot clearly went into the goal. No argument.

I do not feel this is an instance of "karma". It is only the opinion of the poster that the 1966 goal was not legitimate and his opinion is not proof. The two incidents do not bear comparison.

For what it's worth, I am not a fan of goal line technology. My country's team was disadvantaged on this occasion, but I am not complaining. Germany were the better side on the day and deserved to win. Fair play to them for that.

But the day will come when England do have an outrageous piece of good fortune go their way, that enables them to win an important match, and it will be left to others to bemoan their fate. When that happens, I will take the same attitude.

Some you win, and some you lose.

Congratulations to Germany for playing the better football on the day. We must now go away, think again, and try to come back stronger next time. Never quit..... never give in..... keep coming back fighting. And one day, we will get our bit of good luck.

THAT will be karma.

4. Loddar

Loddar Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Herzogenaurach
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It seems you are not up to date, because a study conducted by the Engineering Department at Oxford (that´s in England btw) University concluded that the ball did not cross the line entirely and that it was 6 cms away from being a goal.
    http://www.robots.ox.ac.uk/~vgg/publications/papers/reid96.pdf

5. Crisstti

Crisstti Member+

May 29, 2010
    Chile
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I remembered something about that study, yeah...

6. californiabloke

Jan 16, 2010
    Lampard played his best match of this WC vs Germany, but the defence obviously was much weaker than in 2006; one could easily see it during the recent qualifying campaign. It was a matter of time before a good side would exploit it.

I think James Lawton in the Independent made the most important point -- that the two best England players, Rooney and Gerrard, must play much closer to the goal for England to score more.

But who then shall provide service to them?