Match 50: ENG : DEN - MAKKELIE (NED)

Discussion in 'Euro 2020: Refereeing' started by balu, Jul 5, 2021.

1. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Mostly agree with this and what @MassachusettsRef posted above. It feels soft--but we wouldn't be questioning the call if it happened at midfield or by the corner flag. A foul is a foul . . . but, not really . . . And besides, we all know that England was certain to win if it went to KFTM. :ROFLMAO:

2. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Don't go on Twitter.

JohnW, TyffaneeSue, JasonMa and 3 others repped this.
  3. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    That’s good advice under any circumstances.

Nimbus2000, AremRed, JasonMa and 5 others repped this.
  4. Thegreatwar

Thegreatwar Member

Seacoast United
    May 28, 2015
    New Hampshire
    I only go on Twitter for tactics stuff, never for refereeing stuff.

Beau Dure repped this.
  5. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    It wasn’t sensational. He made a poor call.
    That call ended the match.
    There was no way Denmark were coming back from that. I didn’t accuse him of anything unethical.

It was a call no one expected and no one would have had a serious objection if it wasn’t made.

But the truth is, he made a very poor call and it had a large detrimental effect on the game.

Monarch Bay Beachbum and Orange14 repped this.
  6. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    FWIW, can you imagine any other team in this tournament being as classy about the PK call as Denmark was, regardless of whether you liked the call or not?

In any other match, you'd have a mob scene around Makkelie.

kolabear and akindc repped this.
  7. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Several days ago, a NY Post TV critic posted on Twitter "how much he enjoys listening to Clattenburg". The responses were overwhelmingly in agreement with the post. Yes, non-referees enjoy listening to him (admittedly, it's not a large sample size).

Sometimes it's nice to see what other folks are saying and thinking.

8. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Sterling certainly isn’t selling it very well.

"I went into the box, he stuck his right leg out, and he touched my leg so it was a penalty," Sterling added.

9. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I’ve really liked Clattenburg except for this game.

I found an interesting take on Reddit — the play looked like a PK from the ref’s angle, and VAR couldn’t overturn it because, soft or not, the letter of the Laws would say “foul.”

I agree - VAR shouldn’t be used to determine how hard one player makes contact with another. That’s judgment.

Guinho and kolabear repped this.
  10. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gave the thumbs up, but not for liking Clattenburg :)

MetroFever repped this.
  11. Ghastly Officiating

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 12, 2017
    I made a wrong turn and wandered into the fan section. They are talking of wanting to do away with the “clear and obvious” standard for VAR. Hope IFAB isn’t reading any of the rule change threads on here...

kolabear and El Rayo Californiano repped this.
  12. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    Any talk of the two balls on the field?

Barc@4ever, GlennAA11 and Cosmin10 repped this.
  13. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I really enjoy having him or another referee there. Former players or whoever might be knowledgable, but they don't get refereeing right and don't have that perspective. It is a separate skillset obviously

14. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I believe the first defender did get the ball, but I also believe getting the ball is no defense, mostly. (Do I remember rightly a guidance that it isnt tripping if you get the ball cleanly and the opponent subsequently trips over you?)

15. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

For what it is worth, I think the PK law needs a review. While a foul in the box by definition removes a promising attack, a small proportion of attacks pinging around the box even result on shots of goals, much less goals. A PK converts a low probability play into a 90% one. That is disproportionate difference which is why players like Sterling drop like flies at contact. That is the tactically rational play. Move the spot back two yards or so, the proportion of PKs scored drops and the tactical calculus will shift to it being better to keep your feet and try to score the traditional way. Fouls would still be a stupid thing to give, but not instantly fatal. (And I wont even begin on the handling rule these days)

anyway, a topic for another time.

umop_apisdn repped this.
  16. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Derek Rae passed along a tweet which commented on it. (It is NOT from an account officially connected to Collina, unless I'm mistaken). Sounds a bit bunkum to me but what do I know?

17. USSF REF

USSF REF Guest

Was of no consequence.

18. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    So I thought this afternoon, but these evening I have learned much of VAR's various failures to intervene. (I failed to heed good advice and went and looked at the Twitter.)

Beau Dure and kolabear repped this.
  19. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    I can't help but think that this penalty gets overturned in the Premier League. I **think** - and admittedly may be wrong - I remember seeing pens that had some contact on them, like that, get overturned.

20. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #120 Rickdog, Jul 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    A restart where the penalty taker is actually in an off side position (with lots of meters of advantage in regards to almost all other players), as only the goalkeeper stands between him and the goal line, before the penalty kick is taken.

In the case of rebounds from penalty kicks, the penalty kick taker shouldn't be allowed to kick the rebound (just my humble opinion on the issue)

Beau Dure repped this.
  21. USSF REF

USSF REF Guest

They're behind the ball to start with, so it's not really offside position even in a technical sense.

22. colman1860

colman1860 Member

Nov 13, 2012
    London, England
    Collinas Erben is a German refereeing podcast, which has a fairly large twitter following in Germany because they have a regular slot on Bundesliga broadcasts, and also comment on decisions online. They're in no way affiliated to Collina, but I've found them to be quite good.

What they've said in this case is hardly controversial - of course Makkelie decided the second ball didn't impact anyone, or else he would have stopped play.

kolabear and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  23. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I vaguely remember a match where the PK came off the post and the match announcer commented that the penalty taker is not allowed to kick the rebound. Is this correct, or is my memory failing (a real possibility these days).

Also there is this:

Can the CR do anything about this if he notices it or the keeper tells him?

24. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Don't want to start "a storm in a teacup", but......

Almost all offside ofenders in regular play, actually touch the ball while being behind it. They only became offside, if at the moment the play started, there were less than two defending players in front of them. An issue that doesn't happen in a pk, where there is only 1 (the goalkeeper).

In a pk, the play starts with the pk.

25. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Yeah, Twitter is making a big deal of it, in part because ESPN FC posted the picture at least twice. And The Telegraph did a clickbait headline because the English media love to wear that hair shirt.

The laser incident is awful, but that’s one person. Not fair to say it reflects poorly on England.

JasonMa and El Rayo Californiano repped this.