Match 5 - SRB : ENG - ORSATO (ITA)

Discussion in 'Euro 2024 - Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Jun 14, 2024.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Match #5
    Serbia : England
    Sunday, June 16
    21:00 CET / 15:00 EDT
    Gelsenkirchen

Referee: Daniele Orsato (ITA)
    Assistant Referee 1: Ciro Carbone (ITA)
    Assistant Referee 2: Alessandro Giallatini (ITA)
    Fourth Official: Ivan Kružliak (SVK)
    Reserve Assistant Referee: Branislav Hancko (SVK)

VAR: Massimiliano Irrati (ITA)
    AVAR1: Paolo Valeri (ITA)
    AVAR2: Catlin Popa (ROU)

2. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

President of the Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz fan cub
    Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
    Since this will probably be one of the most viewed early matches so most regular contributors here will see it, please everyone be sure to add minutes to incidents (either calls or no-calls) that happen in games for this tournament, thanks.

StarTime repped this.
  3. weka

weka Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Watch the whole game or you may miss nuances or context of some decisions

frankieboylampard and StarTime repped this.
  4. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    20”. That’s the second time he has held up 2 fingers to a SRB defender. At some point PI will be a real thing.

5. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PO against Bellingham.

6. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    One down, two/three more to go for Orsato until the Final.

Mikael_Referee repped this.
  7. Orangebarista

Orangebarista Member

Feb 22, 2024
    Netherlands
    It is a bit odd that Rosetti’s favorite choice completely ignored the new guidelines.

This will indirectly sends a signal to other referees. “Stick to whatever works for you and you will be appointed again.”

But that wasn’t the purpose of the new guidelines.

8. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    This has been written extensively elsewhere but for my money, this is quite far off the mark.

What I've seen is referees with the freedom to apply their own styles, but no real requirement to be 'strict' or anything like that.

Turpin: usual laidback approach, first YC was really blatant and he had passed over other opportunities to issue warnings/sanctions before that; outstanding how he managed the mobbing for the (wrongly given) penalty as per 'captains', and he had consistent verbal dialogue with Robertson after that too, but besides this element I didn't notice anything different

Vincic: early booking yes, but he played on in a ninth-minute situation just to avoid giving another early YC, and generally it was usual fare from the Slovenian

Oliver: nothing happened in this game, typical discrete performance from this referee

Zwayer: the German carded freely and I liked his approach, but that is how he usually does it

Soares Dias: only YC given was botched (mistaken identity), fairly dubious performance tbh where he was unsure how to decide in a lot of incidents

Scharer: typical of the more 'management-orientated' refereeing we saw before his injury

Orsato: I don't see this as any different to Qatar-Ecuador, Argentina-Mexico, games which the Italian read perfectly how as referee he should act and I'm completely missing where he should have booked a player for dissent (Var gesture was not made towards him in that one replayed scene)

And honestly, the games have been very easy (and to me, a bit boring) thus far. Orsato's performance was actually the best of them all so far in my opinion!

The captains thing, at least to a certain extent, is real and a positive step by UEFA which deserves (big) praise. But I don't buy into the rest whatsoever. I was able to watch the Rosetti press conference and the examples of SFPs and VCs he gave were crystal clear ones.

Are we really expecting a head of refereeing who...
    1) told referees not to give clear fouls in order to liven the games up two years ago before eventually changing course,
    2) who brought a referee from Istanbul to London at the last Euro for a semifinal only to be told by his boss to send him back (and naturally complied),
    3) hugged Jose Mourinho before watching him abuse referees in the car park of the last Europa final and did nothing
    ... to suddenly and coherently be able to demand a genuinely strict approach in these games.

Come on, it's fantasy.

What has obviously happened is that, by the 'UEFA Football Board', Rosetti was told "can you cut down on the dissent in our games please it is beginning to look unedifying", and here we are. To be crystal clear - it is very good that they are doing something and they should be praised.

But let's be honest about what this is. The era of really brave refereeing operations is completely over. In EURO 1996, referees were criticised by everyone (teams, media, associations, etc) for showing too many yellow cards, but UEFA firmly stood behind the approach and the referees knew they were serious.

The idea that 2024 will be even remotely similar to this is, unfortunately, very far off the mark.

Exactly.

StarTime, RedStar91 and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  9. Orangebarista

Orangebarista Member

Feb 22, 2024
    Netherlands
    @mikael - your opinion about the dissenting behavior of Serbia’s coach? I thought it was worse than in Schärers game

10. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    The cards for (non-playing) technical area members is, in my opinion, a complete joke and if I were 'director of world refereeing' I would remove it immediately.

Pre-bench cards: Stojkovic is sent to stands for his conduct not meeting the required standard.

Nowadays: I agree with Orsato-Kruzliak, not quite enough for a red card, so a yellow given.

The only effect of the bench cards is to allow a 'freebie' without being sent off. Random example: the Peruvian referee immediately expelled Passarella in the 1995 Copa America QF Brazil-Argentina because he left the technical area, to instruct a substitute, once. I'm not advocating for that approach at all, but remember: what you permit, you promote.

StarTime, RedStar91 and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  11. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    This and this 100%.

The scene with Mourinho in the car park was so cowardly by Rosetti. Just stood there and watch Mourinho abuse a referee and didn't have the courage to stand up and yell Mourinho to get the ******** out of there.

Disgraceful.

Yet, he's suddenly gonna demand his referees to all turn into Gianluca Rocchi? Come on.

12. Orangebarista

Orangebarista Member

Feb 22, 2024
    Netherlands
    The same Rosetti watched the EURO 2024 opener in München with Mourinho at his side :)

It seems, they are friends… https://imgur.com/a/u8UxomE

Which of course doesn’t justify anything.

13. SouthRef

SouthRef Member+

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No idea if they are friends or not but this picture just seems to show a number of people in the VIP section at the Euros. He's between Mourinho and Ferguson there with a number of UEFA blazers around them. I'd imagine if you can't schmooze with famous coaches you don't advance very far in FIFA/UEFA.

14. SouthRef

SouthRef Member+

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was Rosetti present during the abuse and really did nothing?

Didn't know that - that's wild.