Match #48, 2018 World Cup: Colombia vs. Senegal - 6/28/18

Discussion in 'GROUP H: Poland, Colombia, Senegal, Japan' started by Furnaccio, Jun 14, 2018.

1. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    No CAF should adopt a system like AFC, where you end up with 2 groups of 6 after cutting down the fat. Top 2 in each group qualify and then the 3rd place teams play each other for the final spot.

This would gaurantee the best go through. What you have suggested is pretty much what we already have. You are hoping that the top 5 seeds according to FIFA are accurate, and more likely than not they will not be.

Under the AFC format, the FIFA rankings will literally play no part.

Tom Collingsworth and Philip J. Fry repped this.
  2. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Definitely. I like that. Good system. On the positive side, any future dependence on the idiotic Fifa Rankings to determine group seeds and pots won't be as much of a curse to CAF qualifying as in the past as apparently they're going to incorporate E.L.O. in concept rankings (at least it sounded like that) so teams like Poland and Switzerland can't game the system like they have over the past two cycles for seeds that weren't remotely deserved.

Future dependence on seeding via Fifa would insure that the rankings were reasonably sane, as opposed to the grand Mal idiocy that marked Fifa's previous ranking system.

The last Fifa Rankings and how they related to performance as of now:
    #1: Germany: Out in the group stage
    #2: Brazil: In the round of 16
    #3 Belgium: In the round of 16
    #4 Portugal: In the round of 16
    #5 Argentina: Out in the Round of 16

#6 Switzerland: In the round of 16
    #7 France: Advanced to Quarterfinals
    #8 Poland: Out in the Group Stage
    #9 Chile: DNQ
    #10 Spain: In the Round of 16
    #11 Peru: Out in the group Stage
    #12 Denmark: In the round of 16
    #13 England: In the Round of 16
    #14 Uruguay: In the round of 16
    #15 Mexico: In the round of 16
    #16: Colombia: In the round of 16
    ------
    #17: Netherlands: DNQ
    #18: Wales: DNQ
    #19: Italy: DNQ
    #20: Croatia: in the round of 16
    #21: Tunisia: Out in the group stage

#22 Iceland: Out in the Group Stage
    #23 Costa Rica: Out in the Group Stage
    #24 Sweden: In the Round of 16
    #25 USA: DNQ
    #26 Austria: DNQ

#27 Senegal: Out in the Group Stage
    #28 Slovakia: DNQ
    #29 Northern Ireland: DNQ
    #30 Romania: DNQ

#31: Ireland: DNQ
    #32 Paraguay: DNQ

1/3 of their top 32 Did not qualify for the World Cup.

I count 15 teams as by several orders of magnitude, idiotically ranked (I've highlighted those, and put them in italics).

I haven't even mentioned teams ranked outside the top 32 that belong there, and are instead incredibly far down the list:

#37: Iran: I may not like how they play in terms of generating chances, but they are expert at utilizing their approach to create chances to win in matches where nobody but their own fans think they actually have a chance.

#45: Egypt: Yes, they sucked at the Cup, but their accomplishments with a healthy, and match fit Salah clearly had them a top 30 side. But no. Not according to FIFA>

#47: Ghana: Really? The US and Ghana miss the World Cup, Ghana has clearly trended a bit downward over the past eight years, the US totally imploded, so you have my US side in the top 25 because of a couple of great friendlies, and Ghana nearly below the top fifty? Please.

#48: Nigeria: Okay, now you're just <word I can't say> with us.

#49: Cameroon. Really?

#52: Burkina Faso: Missed the World Cup because of a bad final 15 minutes in a home match in qualifying (otherwise were excellent) so instead of somewhere between say, 30 and 40, they're below fiftieth? Really?

#57: South Korea: Hey, I didn't rate them, but they just beat your #1 side, by TWO GOALS. Granted it's just one result, but a little credit for a team that hasn't missed the Cup in decades, and hasn't embarrassed themselves since Clinton was president. Can't say the same about Germany now.

#61: Japan: Come on. Like South Korea, they may not dominate anyone, but they've also proven they belonged for nearly 20 years, and as per usual, qualified without much of any stress whatsoever.

I could go on, but you get it.

Thank God they're getting rid of these idiotic rankings for once and for all, that should only help everyone in terms of providing justice in qualifying and in group selection for the tournament in four years time.

vancity eagle repped this.