Match 45: Portugal x Brazil

Discussion in 'GROUP G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portuga' started by Ombak, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Don't hold your breath, Queiroz already reverted back to his usual moronic self and promised some changes to Portugals lineeup against Brazil.

Pepe, Deco, and amorim didnt practice today:rolleyes:......

......Pedro Mendes is going to be ripped open, he does a horrible job of protecting the back 4

If Pfail plays in place of Miguel again he should be hanged.

2. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    well if villa gets suspended for his slap on the honduran (which is being reviewed), that could play in our favor.

3. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Chile are a bit naive they will try to outscore you which fits both Brazil and Portugal's counter attacking play. Both teams could struggle against the Swiss defense which is top notch with Spain being the hardest to give a one line commentary.

4. doritos93

doritos93 Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Montreal - Europe
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    In place of Mendes? Veloso pehaps?

5. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    JoseEmidio, my friend, Brazil for us is maybe an impossible match, cause we`ve played against them regularly throughout the whole year, every year in tournaments and friendly games, so they know exactly as how we are going to play against them, and therefore we have little possibilities of success. On the other hand, Portugal, appears to us as totally accesible, and since there are no friendly matches among us, all I can say is that during the qualifies in europe, you lost twice against Denmark (as local and visitors), while we recently visited them for a friendly match, which by no way is comparable to a World Cup, and there in their own home, we beat them easy, and also mentioning our victory over you in the sub-20 World cup held in Canada in 2007 (3 years ago). Don`t subestimate us, calling us as naive. Your defence is by no way comparable to the Swiss, who are masters in that area, and we had a hard time but at the end we beat them. Portugal is a great team and as in the paper looks way much better than we do. If we manage to win against Spain, who are lots better than you are, and you don`t beat Brazil, we will see ourselves in the next round and there Imho, we are going to repeat our performance against you.;)

6. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Actually we didn't lose against Denmark twice. We lost against them once. Go rewatch the game where we lost in Lisboa and it was anything but an-nominally. Now while I think the Swiss do have a good team, please do not compare their defense to ours, because ours is BETTER. They line up with 6 CB almost, and let Gelson Fernandes clean up. We on the other hand have 2 of the best CB in the world, and 2 attacking wingback in Miguel and Fabio Coentrao...oh and by the way, we still have a clean sheet....

I would happily play Chile, while I don't think your team is weak, far from it, playing on open style against us, would be playing in the hands of Ronaldo, Simao, Miguel, Coentrao, Meireles and Tiago. Remember, every team that has faced us lineup defensively, including Ivory Coast, there is a reason for that.

Chile? Bring it on.

P.S: Spain lots better? Maybe in the forward position and in Xavi, our defense is much stronger, and we have better wingers as well.

7. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    You got me wrong about Denmark, you actually tied with them in one of the games, as visitors. I looked at a bad link before, anyhow we did beat them there.:eek:

Don`t think that I`m saying that Portugal will be easy for us, it will be hard indeed, as any other team in the next round, which could still be Ivory Coast as well if they manage to pull out your result against Korea and you loose by 2 (not probable, though), but I still think that Spain has a better team than you, so if we manage to come out victorious against them, you will not be harder as a quest.

If other teams play defensively against you, well good for them, we are not them and we are going to attack, be certain about it. Our Brazilian friends can certify what I`m saying, we don`t know how to play defensive, and if we do, we`ll probably loose.

:)

8. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I hope Brazil win this
    South American FTW:cool:

9. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Under 20 world cup is different from the Real World Cup....

I would love to play Chile in a open game but i could care less who we play assuming we make it to the next round.

10. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Rickdog is right - Chile will not play a defensive game. The most they'll do is change from a 3 man to a 4 man backline depending on the opponent, but they'll keep their basic 3-3-1-3 formation, in particular the 1-3 up front.

11. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Portugal hasn't yet qualified to the R16, but i think that NK won't colapse agains CIV like they did against us.

In this world cup, the Southern American teams have been the most impressive, talking about Argentina, Brasil, Chile, Uruguai and Paraguai. Their natural style is an offensive one, and, like someone said before, Spain is allmost an impossible mission for us, while Chile isn't so strong when atacking. So, we have better chances by defending and making fast counter-atacks than against Spain.

Portugal objectives are qualifying to the R16, and asking more than that is unreallistic because there are other teams much better than us. But in a knock out stage, anything can happen.

12. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We were incredibly unlucky against Denmark in both games, just ask any Danish fan. They took their chances well, and fair play to them, but the final results means little with respect to ability sometimes (look at Switzerland - Spain).

I think both Chileans and Portuguese would be happy to meet each other. Not because they think it's easy, but because Brazil and Spain are two of the strongest teams out there...

13. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    80 % correct statement, in our case the other 20 % represents our certainty that invariably we`d loose against Brazil, and for what I care, means a feeling of true panic and fear that Brazil, will eliminate us once more, as they are used too and as World cup history is written, by big scores. While against Portugal our history is short and therefore not conclussive. I don`t really know how your records against Spain are, but I don`t think that in any zone in the world there is such a harsh history as the one we have with Brazil in particular, refering only to Football, because in the rest of the things, we consider them our "buddies" in the continent.
    For us (Chileans), facing Brazil is like entering in a tunnel where you don`t see the end of it, while facing the rest of the world is like entering a long tunnel where you can bearly see the light at the end of it, and in your particular case, a very, very long one ;). As for the rest of the teams, in case of Spain, we`re doomed, they are in our group and we aren`t in any position to avoid them, confronting them is a must. The same goes to you in reference to Brazil. Anyhow, I would still consider it an honor to be able to confront anyone in the next phase of any World cup and this in particular. Luck, put us in the position where we are, and therefore we must face you, Brazil or Ivory Coast if we pass, which I think we will. I would have prefered maybe other teams, but the "rules of engagement" were already settled when luck established the constitution of the diferent groups of this World cup, and now we must face our destiny. Let the best team, win (I only hope it is us, :cool:).

14. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    I'm only going to say this (even if it somewhat bites me in the ass later) but Portugal and Brazil have the best defense out of the 2 groups.
    If Portugal ever faces Chile they're heavily favourites to win it considering both strenghts and weaknesses. The only positive point for the chileans is that we've never faced in recent history but we're far from being "totally acessible" at this point in time. Even struggling we've only suffered 3 out of 18 games...what makes you think Chile can contradict that?

15. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Maybe it's time to slay the dragon. :)

16. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I have confidence in our defense, but a game is a game. Anything can happen. Lets just see how we perform against Brasil and only latter make predictions about this. I hate to underestimate and to be underestimated.

17. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Hey, my friend, I`m going to repeat what I said before. I didn`t say that you were going to be easy, but if it is against Brazil, its almost impossible. I hate to underestimate any rival, since in our history in Football, we always have to deal with the fact that they underestimate our own potentials, which as a feeling, it is sorrow, and I don`t want others to feel or deal with it the same way.

Now to answer your direct question, Chile as a team has already shown everybody in this World cup and during the qualification zone in Conmebol, that now we are playing a slightly diferent way all our games (in a great part thanks to Bielsa). We still use the same tactics as ever, that is attacking in every game, but our past weakness, was defending, where we were very weak, so every team that faced us before exploited this issue and most of the times achieved good results for them. Bielsa has managed to strenghthen precisely this weakness we had, without renouncing to attacking, where other coaches failed by doing this. And now, despite being an attacking playing team, our defence is working awsome, prove to what I`m saying is that FIFA has some of our players in the top position among the performance of individual players and specially in defending positions, during this worldcup, as you can see in this link.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/statistics/castrolindex/ranking.html

I`m not saying that we are the best team around here, but we are working very fine as one, so any rival is at our reach (excepting Brazil, imho, cause they know us too well). Of course there is no guarantee, that we`ll win and games must be played before we can say that we are better than them, but our chances in achieving this are higher than what it was before. And most important to the most of the Chileans, is that we are proud of what our team is achieving and we trust them blindfolded that this team has the potential to reach the highest standards in our history, as they are doing it, in this World cup. They are allowing us to dream with the possibility of reaching that final goal, with their effort. :cool:

18. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Me too, we only showed confidence against a very mediocre team, I am aware of that. However, Queiroz finnaly saw the light and made the changes that most portuguese were demanding. This means that he is the only person that can set us back again.

19. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    I have put Chile as the nr1 surprise in this World Cup, so I am not underrating you. But so far you played against Honduras and 10 swiss men...even if you guys provide a positive result against Spain it won't prove much in my eyes (depending how the result and performance goes, obviously).

Having said this, I actually hope you guys at least draw against the spanish. I have a couple of chilean friends who would be nice to celebrate with.

20. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Let the best team win.....(although a very used slogan, a very wise one too).

At the end Football is simply a game, and games shouldn`t be more important than what they really are. Its not a matter of life or death, and as every sport, should always used as a matter of uniting people from diferent latitudes. We all have to deal with diferent sorrow matters through life, and Football has the potential to minimize our daily problems by giving us a joy or two, once every few moments, but for all, wining or loosing, isn`t going to change much our regular life, only give it a pleasant sensation for a while if things turn out as how we expect them, but if otherwise it will not change much, there are other things very much important for our lifes.

:)

21. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I did not mean any offense but you do say that Chile cannot play defensively (or not very well) all I was saying is that a out and out attacking team suits Brazil/Portugal the 'a bit naive' bit is that Chile play one way all out attack. I really like the way Chile play and if Chile had put away most of their chances they would have a impressive GD. Don't you think Chile should be more tactical at least some of the time? I don't underestimate Chile and with Portugal they can belt it out against N.K. even though it is N.K. and then have horrible games against opposition that are not as good as N.K. Good Luck against Spain.

22. plyka

plyka Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The Portugal coach would be an idiot if he changed anything from the PKR match. Playing the way they played against Ivory Coast may get you into the round of 16, but then what? Playing the way they played against PKR may get you out of the tournament 1 out of a 100 times, but then again, that's how you're going to win it all!

Portugal are a very underrated team. I think the most underrated team in the entire world cup. While Brazil may be the most overrated team in the world cup. This isn't to say that portugal is better than brazil. But i think that the two teams are very equal.

Portugal has a stout defense, and the attack is coming together nicely. If Ronaldo brings the same mentality that he brought in the second half of the PKR game, then Portugal's attack will be potent. He needs to be their focal point. He occupies 2-3 defenders anywhere on the pitch. He needs to remember that sometimes it is not important to score 10 goals in the tournament, if you can get 10 assists then it is even better. If they play you 1 on 1, then yes, take them head on. But no one will play Ronaldo 1 on 1. They will send 2 or 3 people at him. In this situation, it only increases the space everyone of his teammates have on the pitch. And with Ronaldo's pin point passing, he can create many opportunities.

Let's hope that the Portugal coach does the right thing. Come out to WIN IT. Play beautiful football and let that potent attack loose. This is the way you might win the entire world cup.

Use Ronaldo has the focal point of the attack, and have the players move off of him. That is their best bet. I can feel the chemistry growing between the Portugal players, and it is wonderful to see.

I think Portugal takes out Brazil on Friday. Either way, it is the most exciting match of the group stages no doubt.

23. plyka

plyka Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid

haha, let's not talk sh*t before you even play Portugal! I'm American, but don't like the USA team much because in my opinion they play ugly ugly ugly football. My favorite teams are as follows:

Portugal, Brazil, Chile, Mexico, Spain. I would put Portugal 1st, Brazil/Mexico 2nd, Chile/Spain 3rd. So i'll attempt to be unbiased in my opinion of Chile.

They are a very fun team to watch. My favorite club team is Real Madrid (fav player is Ronaldo, one reason i'm on Portugal's side in this WC), and I am hoping that we find a way to sign that Sanchez kid. I think he is unbelievable! Will be a truly great player in the future. But all in all, Chile simply cannot compete with Portugal. Portugal has one of the best defenses in the entire WC. And with Pepe coming back, it will only get better. They have looked off form, especially in the qualifying. That's why you are underestimating them. But the truth is that qualifying rounds don't count for much. Remember that Argentina had to play a playoffs just to get to the world cup. A playoff they could have lost. Portugal is not even close to the team that was in the qualifying rounds.

They are absolutely loaded with talent. I think Portugal is a favorite to win the entire tournament. They have the talent to do so. Brazil/Portugal/Spain, i would put these countries on the same plain talent wise, with a slight favorite being Spain. They are far better than Chile.

Like i said, even though i'm rooting for Chile. They are very fun to watch. Almost as fun as Mexico. But they are not on Portugal's level. Chile will need some major luck to beat Portugal, if they play them that is.

24. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    For me, A tie would suffice. Portugal will rest their star player, Ronaldo. Not sure if I like that.

Chemistry is important and playing all games will help the team build confidence.

25. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    plyka, my friend, I also think that Spain, Brazil and Portugal are almost at the same technical level, with a little edge in favour of Spain. In the case of pure individual talent, well in this case Brazil is two or three levels above of both of you. Their problem (Brazil), that has to be solved, is to manage on how to use that talent in their favour.

In almost every situation, Spain would beat us, but for this World cup in particular, the odds have changed. We are the only ones with 6 points in our pocket in the group H, and we are the ones who were capable of wining against the ones who Spain was incapable of beating and more on, lost against them (Switzerland). So as things have been presented, we have a great opportunity to put things in our behalf, and if we are capable of getting ourselves a favourable result against Spain, who is slightly above Portugal, then its not so crazy to think that we can do the same to portugal too, in the next round. In the case of Brazil, they are not in the same situation that Portugal is, they are in a better one, since as what I`ve repeated more than once, they know us too well, even better than ourselves. This gives them an advantage in relation to us, but if we are to confront them anyhow, be certain that we`ll give them our best shot. Our victories against them are counted by the fingers of one hand, while theirs by multitudes, but, who knows ?, maybe it could be now our moment for that ocassional victory.:cool: