Match 45: Portugal x Brazil

Discussion in 'GROUP G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portuga' started by Ombak, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doritos93

doritos93 Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Montreal - Europe
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If Brazil was held to two, and Portugal got 7, does that mean that Portugal will beat Brazil?

2. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    What about this question, if Portugal got a goaless draw against Ivory Coast and Brazil won by 3, does that mean that brazilians will kick our ass?

It's completely irrelevant.

3. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Brazil wins 2-0.

4. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX
    Sorry, I just had to quote this one.

Anywho. All I can say is that Queiroz will play this one conservatively, knowing that even a loss with little goals against puts Portugal through. I expect lots of defenders with the wingbacks being told not to pressure...basically the same garbage tactic we had against Ivory Coast.

My question is, what is Dunga's approach to this match? Does he want to rest some starters and see what happens or does he think he needs to go all out and win the match?

5. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX
    The Spain group is still fairly open and they play their last match vs. Chile after the Portugal/Brasil game. At this point it's anyone's guess as to who tops group H.

So I'm thinking that the whole positioning strategy to avoid Spain is out the window. I know this doesn't alter Portugal's plan because they are going to play as defensive as possible to avoid defeat of a large margin (and more than satisfied with a draw).

6. JoãozinhoFutebol

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    As good as Portugal are going forward. It will only help Brazil, since any team that tried to attack brazil head on has lost, with brazil dominating, Quiroz finally had some sense knocked into him when he realized that Deco was far too slow to be a starter, he offers nothing off the ball and doesn't release the ball quick enough for Ronaldo, thus his constant runs back into midfield whenever the 2 were playing together. JB will be the direct replacement for Kaka and will be a handful for Mendes believe it or not.:eek:

7. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    this game was a one-off.. we wont attack you without abandon. your the ones conceding goals to ivory coast, north korea, and tanzania so Id be worried. weve only conceded something like 3 goals in 15 matches.

8. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    oh 3 in 18 my bad.

f Tanzania , ivory coat and north korea score goal on Brasil im sure we can.

9. JoãozinhoFutebol

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'm not saying you can't. But it's going to be a little bit tougher now then in 08.:p

10. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think its going to be a fun game to watch, but its going to be rather subdued. I think it will end something like 2-1 Brasil or something on that line.

11. Vasco

Vasco New Member

Jun 8, 2003
    RIO
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    i am not afraid.

portugal shot it all over today.

they lose but advance.

brasil 3 portugal 0

12. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Portugal will get a goal somewhere, ours games always seem to be open. Especially if we are behind.

13. wolf6656

wolf6656 New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Canada
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ronaldo doesn't start, and only comes on if absolutely needed. They play for a draw. They may play a bit of the game open, but they don't give up a second goal if they give up one.
    Brazil rests starters as well, plays somewhat entertainingly until a goal is scored, by either team.
    Spain is UNLIKELY to finish second in group H. I think Swiss will beat Honduras. If Spain and Switzerland both win the next games then 3 teams with 6 and goal differential decides. Spain will be ahead of Chile by at least 1, and Switzerland and Chile fight for second place, but Chile gets it by head to head, unless Swiss fill the net (which is not their game) For Swiss to pull even with a winning Spain they will have to score 3 more margin than Spain. So Spain Chile advance.

If Spain draw or lose and Swiss win, then Swiss get second.

So Spain will likely be either first or third. Their chance for second is slim.

Therefore........Both Portugal and Brazil will want first place to avoid Spain, or Chile. Second place will likely get either Spain or Chile in rd of 16. First place will get Chile or Swiss. So who knows. It could be a good one. Both could go for the early goal then park the bus. The first half could be nice.

14. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    i think something along these lines is right. the game is pretty much irrelevant since neither of the teams can hope for the Group H result, not that there would have been much to hope anyways since all 3 of the teams that are likely to progress look to be beatable for both of us.

CQ may well be wise to rest Ronaldo or only play him a half so he doesnt pick up a suspension. i also think pepe may see some time in the 2nd half just to get into rhythm.

elano may be able to play, but im not sure if the doctors will risk it -- he should be ready by wednesday or so. dunga may also start either luisao or thiago silva.

game should be interesting too since it's at sea level and a much different climate than what brazil has been around -- they've been in jo'burg for 3 weeks already -- dealing with the cold and altitude.

15. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    could be 3-0 if Brasil is allowed to use their hands to control balls and score again:D

16. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Personally, I think both teams should just go out on the pitch, and have a barbecue picnic. Game ends 0-0, no cards, noone gets hurt, everyone has a good time.

17. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Too bad Kaka isn't there for portuguese players to run into :D

18. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This forum expects a better level of posting than we've seen over the last few posts.

Read through the thread first and only post if you're adding something to the discussion.

19. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Portugal to bring the Bifana's and Cereveja, the Brazilians to bring the sexy morena's and Rio festivals:D

20. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    To be honest, i don't think that Spain is beatable for Portugal. It may be for Brasil, but for us not really. And i don't remember Portugal using bunker's tactic, so it'll be an open game, with Portugal more concerned about defending, but trying to make fast atacks and have their luck.

It's not fair to compare Brasil's players with Portuguese ones, one by one, so i think our chances will depend on how we work as a team and how seriouslly Brasil will face this match.

21. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    If Spain finish 2nd; Brazil will not tank the game to avoid them. What kind of piss poor mentality is that and what is that telling the players that they are not good enough to beat Spain. Dunga Brazil does not fear anybody; we play whoever is in front of us.

22. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Brazil won't know anything about where Spain finish, since Group H games are played afterwards.

Spain could beat Chile and STILL finish second if Switzerland beats Honduras by 3 goals.

So, I agree, this is irrelevant since Brazil can't base its World Cup strategy on whether Noel Valladares is going to stop a few Swiss shots or not.

23. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Individually, Brasil has arguments to beat Spain, but i was talking about Portugal, that can only rely on team work. For us, it would be better to play against Chile, but i'm not afraid.

24. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    play the game and see what happens.

Brazil always gets lucky so im sure whatever happens theyll end up not playing spain, Portugal will play spain in an epic game we will be underdogs but that is a role we will relish, with our rivals having all the pressure on them:D

25. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Yeah, I think that we will inevitably play against Spain.

We still need to know if the goalfest performance - a new confidence - will continue against Brazil. If it does, even if it ends in a draw, I don't think we have any reasons to fear Spain. Their backline isn't better than ours and their defensive midfield can be a mess sometimes.

It all falls down to Queiroz. I hope he sticks with the changes from the 2nd game with some players still in check (like Miguel, Pedro Mendes and Simão).