Match 45: Portugal x Brazil, post-match thread.

Discussion in 'GROUP G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portuga' started by Ombak, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    ----------------------------------------------

Portugal 0 :: 0 Brazil

This thread is neutral and strictly moderated.

Please take strongly partisan discussion to the
    team boards or to the World Rivalry board.

----------------------------------------------
    No Flames - No Trolls
    ----------------------------------------------​

2. F.L.I.P.

F.L.I.P. Member

Apr 26, 2005
    Boring match, Brasil doesnt look so dominant without Robinho, Kaka and Elano...some of the Brasilian players played really bad in the second half.

3. navijacica

navijacica Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Terrible game, Brazil substitutions demonstrated why they are sitting on a bench. Practically no idea in mid. Maicon and Lucio played the biggest part in attack. Terrible. Kaka, Elano and Robinho are a must for next matches or BRA can go home.

4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Not much different than I expected, actually. Though I was holding out hopes that it would be more open with a lot fewer cards in the first half.

5. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Fair result and it's most likely the worst World Cup match so far.

Anyone else expecting anything different from this was high.

Another solid game by Coentrão.

6. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In the words of COMIC BOOK GUY from The Simpsons.

WORST GAME EVER!

7. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not a very enjoyable match to watch, I was hoping for a bit of a more free flowing game. The constant fouls got old very fast though I'm astonished that nobody got sent off. It may have been me but I was actually able to hear fans boo over the vuvuzelas. It was obvious Robinho and Elano weren't on the pitch, Kaka not so much imho.

8. Martininho

Martininho Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [result]Pity that N. Korea chose to go on the attack only against Portugal (or so it seems). Would have preferred to see Ivory Coast advance and watch Portugal head home with Italy and France.[/result]

Portugal is extremely overrated, and dull. Good thing for them that they have a decent keeper, I anticipate that their remaining matches will mirror this one, and the hack fests from '06 with Netherlands and France.

Portugal, the cure for insomnia.

9. nonameisacat

nonameisacat New Member

May 29, 2010
    Commentartor just summed it up: "96 minutes of our lives that we'll never get back. Unfortunately people paid money for a ticket...an utter waste of time".

10. navijacica

navijacica Member

Jun 15, 2010
    I am not talking about shortage of goals. I am talking about the game itself. Same critics goes to Coentrao. Apart from Ronaldo noone really played. (and even Ronaldo played only on few occasions). If you are sattisfied with the result you are blinded by result

11. Marek Hamsik redded

Jun 25, 2010
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovakia
    Happy no one was injured.

12. OrlandoEngelaar

Jul 19, 2008
    CA
    Would Neymar have played in this match? Kaka and Robinho's replacements are unimpressive imo. Though i wonder if both teams were going for the draw.

13. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Need to remember that Brazil was playing just like us?

Portugal is going 19 matches undefeated and only 3 goals against. If anything this team will be constantly underrated throghout the tournament no matter who we face.

14. navijacica

navijacica Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Kaka even has some assissts. I agree he is not himself this year but is still MUCH better at playmaking than anything else Selecao has.

15. cordobes

cordobes New Member

Jun 21, 2010
    It wasn't the worst WC match by any stretch of the imagination. Just relatively to the expectations / quality of the teams. This reminds me of people praising NZ for their great play vs. the hated Italy. But both sides put their priority on not losing the match. Plus, both teams were missing like half of their top-10 players - a great game between Portugal vs. Brasil would demand having guys like Kaka, Bosingwa, Deco, Robinho, Nani and Elano on the pitch.

16. GoalUSA

GoalUSA New Member

Jun 24, 2010
    I have to agree with this. I'm not sold on Portugal at all (and please don't overrate them for running up the score on the worse team in the World Cup...North Korea). It doesn't look good that two of their group games were 0-0 ties and they basically advanced by default because there was no way Ivory Coast was going to pull off the biggest comeback in World Cup history unless North Korea just layed down and let them score at will.

17. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Again, you were expecting a different kind of performance which seems silly for me.

You know what happens when Brazil and Portugal play in counter-attack mode. It's cold, boring and damn ugly.
    Seriously, what's new here?

Both teams will display better football in the next match. This wasn't a knockout round ffs.

18. OrlandoEngelaar

Jul 19, 2008
    CA
    And both teams are in a situation where they would be happy with a draw, i saw this result coming.

19. LightFantastique

LightFantastique New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Headline should read "Uninspired Portugal draws nil-nil with Brazil's Second Team."

Snooze-worthy match. I would have rather watched a barbecue cookoff at midfield.

20. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That is true. I suppose Elano and Robinho are the next two best which with their absence it really showed this morning.

21. cordobes

cordobes New Member

Jun 21, 2010
    North Korea is completely irrelevant here. Portugal didn't qualify for running up the score on them. In any case, there'd be nothing wrong with that - they showed an ability to score on weaker teams that sides like Ivory Coast or Brazil apparently lack.

22. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Congratulations to both teams, as both played pretty well, and both teams accomplished what was expected.

:)

23. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    :confused::confused::confused:

Just because Kaká and Elano weren't on the field?

Need to remind you that we made changes as well?

24. navijacica

navijacica Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Look, the problems I saw and what I disliked about the game, was the total lack of any kind of idea at all. This is the problem for both teams imo - ok, BRA put 3 of best men in this element on the bench

25. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reminder: Folks, please use result tags when referring to other games, even indirectly.