Match 45 Poland v Portugal - Brych

Discussion in 'Euro 2016: Refereeing' started by akindc, Jun 30, 2016.

1. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    In the 30th minute, Brych ignores Ronaldo getting American Football tackled in the box while he was trying to get to a cross.
    Might be exaggerating a bit, but it was a stone cold penalty.

2. London_ref

London_ref Member

May 6, 2014
    London, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Agreed. Stonewall penalty.

YC missed for a reckless tackle in 35' too.

SCP_16 and akindc repped this.
  3. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought it was never a penalty. Ronaldo alters his run to ensure the contact. Is that really a charge from behind by the defender? A penalty? I don't think so.

I've noticed something else. Brych did it today. Skomina did it in Nice. Others are doing it. Referees are clearly being instructed to call players over and tell them to help their fouled opponent up in situations where they are giving talking-tos instead of (somewhat obvious) yellow cards. It's so choreographed and new that is has to come from Collina directly. On the 35' foul, which is a yellow card in every possible situation for me, Brych calls the player over, chews him out and essentially makes him help Ronaldo up. The kind of forced sportsmanship that never works in Copa or Latin American matches, but seems to be going a long way here. Skomina did the exact same thing in Nice--same timing, same cadence, same hand gestures.

4. bhooks

bhooks Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The language isn't super clear in the laws, but Brych flipped and allowed Poland to calls Heads/Tails (which they won) then picked the end to kick. Then he flipped and let Portugal call (which they lost) and Poland picked to kick second.

The instruction I was recently taught was the first flip should be "Heads this end, tails that end," then let the visiting team take the second flip for which team goes first.

5. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought this is how Clattenburg did it in the Switzerland-Poland match.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  6. chaoslord08

chaoslord08 Member

Dec 24, 2006
    Fayetteville AR
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought I heard one of the commentators say before the shootout that they were going to crack down on stuttering and pausing during the run up. I thought those were fine as long as they were not excessive since Law 14 says feinting in the run up is permitted? Am I missing something big or is this just a case of commentators being mistaken?

7. bhooks

bhooks Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Didn't watch the match myself, though I did figure there would be consistency across the tournament. Just annoying that with this great rewrite they still managed to to leave something unclear.

8. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Haven't got the pdf copy on me atm but IIRC the procedure is clear in the new laws.

9. bhooks

bhooks Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    "Unless there are other considerations (e.g. ground conditions, safety etc.), the referee tosses a coin to decide the goal at which the kicks will be taken which may only be changed for safety reasons or if the goal or playing surface becomes unusable"

For me, it is not specific in what this coin toss should be. Is it H/T for one end or the other? Or is it you ask a team to calls H/T, and if they win they pick, else other team picks?

"The referee tosses a coin again and the team that wins the toss decides whether to take the first or second kick"

Again, which team do we allow to take the second toss?

Technically, the coin toss before the match also doesn't specify which team it goes to as it says "the team that wins the toss of a coin.." however it seems customary to give it to the away team.

Personally, I don't care, one way or the other, but I feel there should be some sort of clarification as I have been taught something different than what is currently being done in competitions using these laws.

AremRed repped this.
  10. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I'm surprised that you don't think it's a PK. Almost everyone is in agreement on here and all the pundits around the world, for what it's worth, thought it was stonewall.

It's a blatant shove in the back by the Polish defender. No attempt to play the ball. Now if he uses his hands instead of just barging into the back of CR7 than you can make the case that the contact would be trifling or not enough.

The only reason Brych didn't give it, I think, is he just couldn't see the amount of force the defender went through CR7.

I think a clear PK as well and if Portugal didn't grab the equalizer right after there might have been problems for Brych.

Overall, another solid performance from Brych. Tomorrow's Italy Germany probably decides who will win the competition and who will referee the Final of the competition as well.

11. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm happy to be wrong and I know opinion seems to be against me overall. But I haven't seen the angle that shows a two-handed push. I really think Ronaldo put himself in a position where he knew there'd be contact and I don't think, on that type of cross, it should be rewarded with a penalty. But maybe I'm wrong.

Regardless, I find it interesting that you think Brych got it wrong yet still did well enough to get another game. I think he got it right but didn't perform well enough overall to earn another match.

AremRed and akindc repped this.
  12. but sir

but sir Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Minnesota
    FWIW, it appeared that in the Copa America final Lopes told the captains 'heads that goal, tails the other goal' and tossed the coin.

13. bhooks

bhooks Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yup, that's what I thought I saw. Looks like no one is really sure which is correct, so each federation has taken their idea of it and applied it.