Match 44: ENG : GER - MAKKELIE (NED)

Discussion in 'Euro 2020: Refereeing' started by code1390, Jun 27, 2021.

1. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he did very well. Nothing boiled over, and nobody except ref dweebs (and hangers-on like me) is talking about the ref at all.

2. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    It is great that there is really nothing about the reffing that will be part of any mainstream story. Nice to have a game that didn't require him to be amazing--though one always wonders the degree to which the R should get credit for setting a stage where he doesn't have to do anything amazing.

hmm . . . I can't think of another game where there hasn't been a PK or almost PK . . . we had no VAR recommendation and I don't even recall a delay for a check.

3. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    Updated considerations.

Was the tackle:
    Nasty?
    Brutal?
    Short?​

jayhonk, SccrDon and ColoradoRef repped this.
  4. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I realize I'm a referee and I'll always give the officials the benefit of the doubt. But I'd definitely say that if there are no major incidents or problems in an England-Germany major tournament knockout game at Wembley, that the officiating crew was a big part of the foundation of making sure the game never reached a potential flash point.

I'm looking forward to watching this game in its entirety tonight.

5. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I thought he did very well, and I'm not going to grade him on a curve because it was an easier match to referee - sometimes good refs help make the match easier to referee by the way they go about their business.

RefIADad repped this.
  6. RefGil

RefGil Member

Dec 10, 2010
    I tried to bring Calvinball into the other thread.

How about: Hobbes ball!!1!