Match 44: Cameroon v. Netherlands :: Pre-match discussion v2.0

Discussion in 'GROUP E: Netherlands, Denmark, Japan, Cameroon' started by DSC05, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Re: Match 44: Cameroon v. Netherlands :: Pre-match discussion (Take 2)

If its any consellation:

of all the teams in the world cup besides South Africa, i'd probably would want to see the Netherlands. To me the world cup and the netherlands just go well together....The orange kit and type of fans just has something i wanna see....all that orange.....

2. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana

This is the match of Group E that is so to die for, the match that everyone in this group wants to see, Cameroon taking on Netherlands as I think that this match will be so exciting because I get to see Eto'o and company go up against The Dutch who are also looking good in terms of team quality not only on their part but also on Cameroon's part too.

This match I see it as a draw for both teams, that it will be a tie 2-2 match as the scoreline here

3. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--

I just came to this thread to say what youve said above....This is fast becoming the most anticipated group match for me that does not involve my own country...

4. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

Is there a Dutch consensus on that? I know that technically "Holland" is just a couple of western provinces, but it seems to be used quite a bit by Dutch people as the name for the entire country. For example, at football matches I've often heard "HAUL-land" being chanted by the Dutch. I don't think I've ever heard a "NED-erland" chant.

5. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam

i think it's because it's so much easier to chant hup holland hup than anything with nederland in it. :D

6. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

nederland oh nederland jij bent de kampioen, wij houden van oranje om zijn daden en zijn doen etc.

there are songs with nederland in them but Holland is easyer to sing I guess

7. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven

Easier to sing

But no-way I use Holland in a different context, but that might be because I'm not born in Holland.

Hup Holland Hup, sounds better, almost as an alliteration.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBvLbFUN0MA"]YouTube- Jan de Cler - Hup Holland Hup 1954[/ame]

After we won against the Belgiums in 1954 for the first time in several years.
    :D

And indeed, this one is with The Netherlands

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaCJij0NysI"]YouTube- Sfeerbeeld EK1988[/ame]

8. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

Ha Ha. Cool videos, although the second one didn't have enough Dutch women. The male leader in the first one looks like Groucho Marx in "Duck Soup."

"Hup Holland Hup, sounds better, almost as an alliteration."

I agree, but to an outsider it still seems peculiar. If the US Nats were playing, a crowd chanting "Go Texas" would not only seem strange, but somewhat provocative.

Could it be partly because the name "Nederland" is kind of generic? The "Low Land". It's a bit boring and not very descriptive.

9. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven

Doubt that, you rarely use "neder" as a word in the Netherlands. Only as "nederig" (humbly/lowly).

The Holland area used to be dominant here. Holland was rich, other area's where poor. Since the Industrial Revolution Brabant got richer. Philips started, followed by ASML (former part of Philips) and the High Tech Campus Eindhoven.

But 200 years ago, it was all Holland. Brabant/Gelderland/Friesland where simply "dumb" farmers.

10. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004

If you wanted to be anal about it and wanted to use the official name you'd have to say Kingdom of the Netherlands. I can't see fans sing 'Go Kingdom of the Netherlands' though.

I'm not from Holland I'm from the Netherlands.

11. MrOranjeBal

MrOranjeBal Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Club:
    AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

I'm chanting Go! Republic of the Seven United Netherlands! this summer! :D

btw although I was born in Zuid-Holland, I'm still from Nederland too.

12. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven

Me like that name

Still, "Bataafse Republiek" (-> Batavian Republic) is still the greatest name we ever had imo. Even if it was only for a few decades

13. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--

Needdeerlaannnddd...Needdeerlaannnddd...Needdeerlaannnddd gaan hul agterend sien teen Kameroen ;) woohooo!

14. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Camaroon played 1-1 against Slovakia. Has anybody seen this game? Was it a subs game as Holland Mexico or was there first team action on the pitch. It took Camaroon 83 minutes to score against a Slovakia, not the strongest European country.

15. encorelui2

encorelui2 Member

Apr 12, 2009

Not sure i understand what your point is...but I will answer the first part of you post: I watched the entire game. Cameroon played a mix of substitutes and a couple of regulars. Interesting game, as Cameroon basically assaulted Slovakia after conceding early, but lacked finishing (Emana was ONCE AGAIN having a bad day), Eto'o not present, Choupo not present) Alex Song played good but seems to complicate things for himself by trying to dribble instead of making a simple pass. Starting lineup for Cameroon:
    [LINEUP-4-3-3]Aboubakar, Webo (c), Emana, Enoh, Song, Makoun, Assou, Nkoulou, Bassong, Chedjou, Souleymanou [/LINEUP-4-3-3]

Most influential players: Enoh Eyong (Ajax) and Assou-Ekoto. The teenager Aboubakar, is a bagatelle of talent, but lacks the temperance to play at this level...but will be an interesting striker in the next few years (I can bet money on that lol) Geremi came on & strange enough, his presence & absence of Makoun sort of calmed Cameroon and Enoh exploded after that (basically seeing a trend: Makoun ties up the mid field) Emana dribbles so much that he ends up dribbling his own team mates (and I am not trying to be funny! that guy is...oh well) Chedjou was catastrophic (but the guy is forced to play as RB though in reality he is an AM)

1 person likes this.
  16. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006

Slovakia scored early and then played the game they like to play: sitting back and counter attacking. Cameroon was a toothless lion. Basically apart from the two goals there were 2 other opportunites in the match: one for Slovakia, where the ball may or may not have passed the line and one for Cameroon, where a Slovakian player I believe handballed to prevent a one on one situation (my feed died right at the moment of the pass and went up only to see a yellow card being handed).

17. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Simple, I'm trying to get a picture of the current strength of Camaroon, as Holland will play them in the group stage. 1-1 against Slovakia, is not what I call impressive. But I get from you that they dominated the game after they conceded the goal. If they lacked finishing etoo will certainly do good, if he returns from his break.

As I watched Tottonham I was already quite impressed with assou ekotto. He is one dangerous player. Maybe one of the best left backs of the EPL at the moment

But is he a starter for camaroon? In that case we can put Robben on him and punish Camaroon on that weak spot.

18. encorelui2

encorelui2 Member

Apr 12, 2009

Good point but I doubt he will even make the 23...Considering his poor showinsg at the African cup & today...Most cameroonian blogs wrote him off even b4 today...I guess we wil find out when the list is published later 2day

19. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006

I can't guarantee it, but Chedjou is most likely NOT a starter. This is the first time Le Guen has ever played Chedjou in that position and after today's match I would guess its the last time. He is probably 4-7 choice at RB (behind Geremi, Abouna, Mbia and maybe Ndjeng, Mandjeck or Boukar).

In midfield he is far down the pecking order and probably even below youngster Matip. Would want to see him played in position for once... He played as CB during the African Nations Cup and made terrible errors.

RB is however the problem area. Geremi is great going forward and crossing, but can dissapoint defensively. Ndzana is a local player - I was personally impressed by him, but can he cope against Robben? Mbia is a great option as RB and may fit there. Mbia is a very flexible player.

Enough said that in the last 3 friendlies 7 players have been tested at RB.

20. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Well it's good to know Camaroon has a weak spot on the right back. It's most likely that Robben plays on the left wing as v Marwijk wants to play Kuyt on the right wing. We can also play vd Vaart on the left but that would be unwise knowing that you can punish Camaroon on the wing.

21. salamilover

salamilover New Member

May 29, 2010

It seems like Cameroon isn't that strong.
    Cameroon didn't show much impression from current friendly games.

22. turbogt redded

turbogt redded Red Card

May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Bristol City FC

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetherlaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaands!

Go Go Orange!

Beat Cameroon!

Beat Denmark!

Beat Japan!

23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY

What's the latest on Eto'o? Hasn't been much in the news about his threat to leave the Cameroon squad. Is he playing or not?

24. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

Stoked to see Enoh getting the attention he deserves.

25. Shanghai_Dutch

Shanghai_Dutch New Member

May 17, 2010
    Shanghai
    Club:
    SC Heerenveen
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Definitely Netherlands, I'm not from Holland... Live abroad, you have no Idea how often I need to correct people when they ask if I'm from Holland (or Germany for that matter).

As for the chanting, don't think it'll matter much this year...
    Chance on goal --> Toooooot
    Foul --> Tooooot
    Goal --> Tooooot
    Bad ref. --> Tooooot
    Maybe toooooooot holland toooooooooot toooooooooot de leeuw niet tooooooooot
    :)

Think Oranje will beat Cameroon though... 2-0

1 person likes this.