Match 43 : ITALY V SPAIN - CAKIR (TUR)

Discussion in 'Euro 2016: Refereeing' started by Thezzaruz, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Monday June , 2016 - :600 (EDT) - Saint-Etienne
    Referee: Cüneyt Çakır (TUR)

Assistant Referee 1: Bahattin Duran
    Assistant Referee 2: Tarik Ongun
    Additional Assistant Referee 1: Hüseyin Göçek
    Additional Assistant Referee 2: Barış Şimşek

This thread is for all pre-match, play-by-play and post-match discussion and analysis of the refereeing team. Per the forum guidelines (http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/welcome-forum-guidelines.2032253), this thread will be heavily moderated. For more general or partisan discussions of the match, please go to the general Group thread or the individual team forums.

2. London_ref

London_ref Member

May 6, 2014
    London, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Thought he had a great first half, but lost his way a bit after the interval.

A few baffling calls.

Pierre Head repped this.
  3. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cakir reminded me of Aguilar in about 2009. That isn't good. Two missed VCs given as yellow. No consistency on cards. No dismissal of Conte. Seemed to ref scared. I really like the guy from what I've seen previously. But I didn't like tonight. I think he has to be done.

Pierre Head repped this.
  4. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Agreed, he lost the plot in the second half.

5. NW Referee

NW Referee Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Washington
    Was not impressed with Cakir, his foul/misconduct selection seemed to be all over the place.

Plus I was surprised by the number of the times he either got in the way of play or the passing lanes.

6. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Worried about Collina.
    Dismiss the Italian coach, red card for Italian player? No way.
    I know some will say this should not apply, but people are human.
    Yes, this was a strange and poor performance.

PH

7. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    You really believe some of the stuff you say. You really think that Collina will "punish" Cakir for calls against Italy?

UEFA doesn't work like that. There is too much transparency and too much at stake for everyone involved for that. At CONMEBOL, CONCACAF and other backwards federations it might work.

A more logical explanation is one I've said before. Cakir has clearly changed his approach to big decisions after that Nani red card and all the furor and controversy over that. He is not as trigger happy.

Whether by instruction from UEFA or just the natural human reaction of not wanting more controversy he has become a more lenient official. Just watch the games before and after the Nani red card.

No one is talking about the referee except us after the game today when he didn't give two correct red cards.

Everyone is talking about the referee from the Copa America match last night today when he gave two debatable red card decisions, yet no one is mentioning that he probably missed two or three more red cards in the second half and extra time.

akindc repped this.
  8. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Hmmmm....time to bring up the Yellow submarines and the retirement match again, PH?

9. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    I said some people would deny this, and I was right!
    You missed the point (again.) Let me explain. It's not that Collina might/could/would punish Cakir. It is that Cakir would subconsciously (or perhaps consciously) think that way, hence go easy on Italy. It used to happen all the time with Brazil games in FIFA.
    Of course the press is not talking about him, the major point was Spain going out, and he had no KMIs relating to the score.

And yes, I really believe all the stuff I say, that's why I say it. I have been around long enough to have seen it all.
    Believe it or not, I have actually refereed games in Yugoslavia, have you?

PH