Match 41: Slovakia - Italy :: Pre-match Discussion

Discussion in 'GROUP F: Italy, Paraguay, New Zealand, Slovakia' started by CIA, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CIA

CIA Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    Hijos de Acosvinchos
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    [​IMG] vs. [​IMG]

This is the pre-match thread. Please discuss the forthcoming event in this thread. The other mods and I will edit this post/thread and as more match details are revealed.

Also let's remember that threads close at #500 posts.

Date and Time:
    June 24, 2010
    16:00 (UTC+2)

Venue:
    Ellis Park Stadium, Johannesburg

2. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    This is the match-up of Group F that I really want to see because I want to see the Slovaks beat the Italians, or better yet for the Slovaks to tie with Italy because Italy has never faced off against Slovakia in a FIFA World Cup, or that these countries have never faced off period, so to see them go toe-to-toe for the first time ever will make it all the worthwhile.

This match prediction here, the scoreline I am calling it now,
    Italy 1-1 Slovakia= Draw

3. richnyc

richnyc New Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovakia
    Dude, I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up 1:1 but I'm waiting with my prediction until after the first two games...

4. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    A draw or a close win for Italy. Slovakia will be too dependant on Hamsik offensively and the Italian defenders will know about him because he is at Napoli. Skrtel isn't 100 per cent fit so the Italian forwards can make the most of their opportunities.

For some trivia, the current Slovak coach was one of the guys Roberto Baggio dribbled past when he scored Italy's second goal against Czechoslovakia at Italia 90.

5. Tori Maximus

Tori Maximus Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Europe
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Same here. Also, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Slovakia win.

6. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I really hope and pray for Slovakia to beat the Italians and for Slovakia to finish 2nd in this group, seeing as how I like how Slovaks play their football, they play with an exciting flair about them, playing defensive game but allow themselves to push up offensively on that counter-attack giving New Zealand quite a match, and even though losing to Paraguay, they still performed well, Slovakia will win 1-0

7. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Lippi needs to take a good look at himself here. Italy haven't been knocked-out in the group stage of a World Cup since 1974 but there is a likely chance that it will happen here. His team needs to play every game like a final. Italy must go out and attack and show the world that they can play. There is no such thing as "doing enough". You can only stop if the final whistle blows. You must not underestimate anyone yet you must believe in yourselves. Most important of all, grow some coglioni! What sort of men are you?

End rant.

8. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Slovakia haven't been that impressive. They struggle to create chances and Hamsik has been a disappointment. When they use the wings, they can cause a threat and that's how they scored against the Kiwis.

This would be my Italy line-up:

------------------- Marchetti

Zambrotta --- Bonucci --- Chiellini --- Criscito

------ Gattuso --- De Rossi --- Montolivo
    -------------------- Pirlo

------------ Iaquinta --- Di Natale

I can't see Lippi dropping Canna because of his blind faith in him but his lack of height has caused us to concede goals. The man who was our hero in 2006 is now looking like a potential scapegoat. Montolivo hasn't made any through-balls but his short dribbles and passes have been good. Gattuso will give more harder running and more grinta. Pirlo should link-up with the forwards better and make better long passes and through-balls. Iaquinta is technically enept but he works more than Gila and Pazzo hadly touched the ball. I hope Pazzo gets another chance though off the bench. Di Natale needs to start. How can you possibly keep leaving out a man who has scored 29 goals in the Serie A? Camo and Pepe are options for a standard 4-4-2 but Zambrotta and Criscito seem to do a good enough job of covering the wings, especially Zambrotta.

9. Ben Sahar redded

Ben Sahar redded Red Card

Jun 8, 2010
    Club:
    Espanyol Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Hopefully Italy loses so we don't have to watch the Juve garbage team anymore.

10. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    We have attacked against both our opponents. We're just not that good.

11. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Yeah, because the non-Juve NT players have been so great. :rolleyes:

12. Ben Sahar redded

Jun 8, 2010
    Club:
    Espanyol Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    You take out all the JUVE players and replace them with players that deserve to be there, excluding Chiellini, and I wouldn't be surprised if they actually won a game this year up until this point, which hasn't happened by the way.

13. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Sure, dude, the Italy squad is SO full of quality.

14. Ben Sahar redded

Jun 8, 2010
    Club:
    Espanyol Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    The quality was left at home. The obvious problem is creativity and someone who can score goals = Cassano and Balotelli. Simple. Even G. Rossi would have helped. Instead Lippi insists with a turtle and Mr. two left feet. Gilardino and Jaquinta. Not to mention playing everyone out of their natural position. Lippi is like that kid trying to force a square piece in a circle hole.

15. Wolfie65

Wolfie65 Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    Not sure: does Italy actually have to win in order to advance?
    If not, my money's on a very low-scoring draw.......

16. Ben Sahar redded

Jun 8, 2010
    Club:
    Espanyol Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Italy have to lose, to avoid further embarrassment. Hopefully a box of tomatoes is waiting for them at the airport, and not as food.

17. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No. Italy def advance with a win (possibly even in first place, but that's unlikely).
    Italy advance with a draw if Paraguay win or also if Paraguay and NZ tie and Italy beat NZ in the goals scored tiebreaker.

18. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think this will be the game Italy wake up in.

But a draw wouldn't surprise me either.

19. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They lacked invention and they didn't dribble or play through-balls. Italy needs to be switch on from the start and attack from the start. IMO, the goals Italy conceded forced the players to attack or at least put in more effort.

20. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Yeah, I agree. We pressed but we lacked the creativity and "invention," as you put it, to break down the defense. Same with the Paraguay match. At the very least we can expect that Slovakia will be a bit more open then our other opponents because they need to win to have hope of qualifying.

21. Ben Sahar redded

Jun 8, 2010
    Club:
    Espanyol Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Hamsik is going to have a big game.

22. Wotan

Wotan New Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Philadelphia (& CAL)
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Who will the referee be in the Italy/Slovakia game?

23. llewelyn

llewelyn New Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Howard Webb (ENG)

24. Wotan

Wotan New Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Philadelphia (& CAL)
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    UH OH---The "Paisani" are in trouble!:(

Those Brits are onto the "Italian diving"-!;)

Like the British commentator on ESPN said, "In Italy, they call it clever. In England, they call it cheating!" :D

Wouldn't be surprised if one or more "Azzuri"...are carded...for their theatrics!

Just you wait...!

25. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    he is certainly due for one