Match 41: Slovakia - Italy :: Post - Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP F: Italy, Paraguay, New Zealand, Slovakia' started by sidspaceman, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    So Slovakia are set to meet the Netherlands.

Interesting game. I have a feeling they have what it takes to give the Netherlands a good scare.

2. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    guys this the Slovakia - Italy post match thread.

Please keep it on topic.

3. DaniGuarna

DaniGuarna New Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Montreal
    Club:
    Reggina Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    True but I think if Lippi actually went and seen some games in the serie A the Italian squad would have been way better. Miccoli eve says:

"L'attaccante del Palermo, come fa notare 'Il Giornale', è andato anche oltre, con dichiarazioni piene di veleno: "Ditemi voi perché in questa squadra azzurra non ci sia nemmeno uno del Palermo. Sapete perché? Perché Lippi non è mai venuto a vederci, non è mai sceso a Palermo. Gli stranieri del Palermo fanno il Mondiale, noi italiani del Palermo no, siamo arrivati quinti e siamo a casa mentre gli juventini sono in gruppo".
    Goal

4. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Hmmmmmm

5. ajaxpsv

ajaxpsv New Member

Nov 8, 2004
    L.A.
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yes they do... but I hope not! :D

6. DiablesRouges

DiablesRouges Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Campbell, California
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Italians were brutal in the first half.

The game didn't really get going until Slovakia socred that second goal.

The disgraceful behavior by both sides nearly ruined what was a fantasic game.

FIFA if you are listening (I know you're not) you'd better clean-up this mess.

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Maybe as a Toscano Lippi had some prejudices about Sicilia and her teams?

His selection was poor, everybody noticed that --but him.

8. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

So were Italy

9. ssri

ssri New Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Wow, what a game:

Lippi's stubborness in sticking with his Juve boys eventually did the team in:

Cannavaro - poor and beaten off pace far too many times. I hope there are no fast players in Dubai.
    Iaquinta - Offered nothing throughout the entire tournament until his cheeky backheel found Quags whose shot and rebound found Di Natale.
    Camoranesi - Poor, but was injured
    Chiellini - Solid until his lapse led to the 2nd Slovakian goal
    Marchisio - Shorn of confidence when played in every midfield position but his own

Other notable failures:

Gilardino - Players in cement boots ran faster. Did not have the brains to pick out open spaces
    De Rossi - Came in with a big reputation, rightfully so given his club form, but had severe mental lapses throughout the tournament that cost Italy dearly. None more evident than the first and third goals scored by Slovakia with a culpable partner in shame in Cannavaro. For some, his cockups during the Slovakia game is karma for his dive against NZ even though the NZ defender definitely had a fistful of De Rossi's shirt.
    Montolivo - Okay for the most part until the match against Slovakia, as if the bright lights of such a monumental match was just too much for him to take, reminiscent of Aquilani's deer-in-the-headlights look and demeanor during his match against Spain in Euro2006.

It seems that Italy is still overly dependent on an aging Pirlo. His introduction in today's match resulted in Italy finally stringing more than one pass out of the midfield. His vision, one of the things Montolivo is lacking comparatively at this stage of development, breathed new life into the match for the Italian side. Furthermore, it seemed that Quags was the only forward truly giving it his all, whose efforts was rewarded with that sublime chip over the gk. With no true replacement for Pirlo coming through the Italian ranks, I am afraid of the return to the mid-to-late 90s Italy where the midfield mostly consisted of a bunch of watercarriers.

10. RobbyW

RobbyW New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Italy had awful results. Their matches have been exciting despite the fact that they could not finish (until the last 15 minutes)

11. RobbyW

RobbyW New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Thanks, great post. :cool:

12. guedegba

guedegba New Member

Jun 6, 2006
    Could Mario Balotelli have helped Italy as a sub in the second half?

13. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ya don't say!!!

"the Siamese guy arrived fifth and he has a house, while the young guys are in a group home"...

14. laasan

laasan Member

Apr 12, 2010
    they've had awful results because they've been awful. Scottish league games are exciting, doesn't mean the football is any good though...

15. dsirias

dsirias Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Slovakia has one or two guys who can finish but everything else is mediocre or dreadful including the coach. One sub unused, one sub too late, the other barely in time. They are slow, have no fast counter, don't really bunker well or smart. They go through because Italy was even more dreadful. All the time wasting almost backfired on them to boot. Not pretty. Slovakia is likely to be slaughted in RO16.

16. DIECI

DIECI Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Yes for sure, his pace and finishing ability would have been nice.

Replace Iaquinta/Gilardino and Camoranesi or Gattuso for G.Rossi/Balotelli/Cassano and even Miccoli and this team would have won the group. But excuses wont change the fact we are out so let it be.

17. Ben Sahar redded

Ben Sahar redded Red Card

Jun 8, 2010
    Club:
    Espanyol Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Quagliarella should have played more, the only Italian with heart and hunger for goal.

18. freaky194

freaky194 New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It was a brilliant ending a lot of potencial and Quagliarella scored a beautiful goal!!

Slovakia 3-2 Italy Video Highlights 24-06-2010

bb take care

freaky194 :D

19. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Congrats to Paraguay and Slovakia for making it through. You earned it. And, a big contrats to NZ for leaving the world cup without a loss. 3 points deserve a big applause.

20. soccerdaddy

soccerdaddy New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Back in the late 80's I saw Italy beat the USA in some random international game. The score was 1-0 at the final and the Americans had put a scare to the Italians at the end with a trick free kick that almost went in the goal. The game was in Italy and the Italians booed their team off of the field. It was one of the harshest things I ever saw in soccer. I do not think it will be very nice to be a member of the Italian team going back to Italy after this performence.

21. TheGrimSweeper

Jul 16, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Last time Italy crashed out of the group stage at a World cup they got pelted by Tomatoes on their arrival back home.

22. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think your talking about the 1990 WC first round - we just lost 5-1 to Czechoslovakia and basically sent a bunch of college kids. Italy were expecting a cricket score but it ended 1-0 only so that was a great result for the US back then.

23. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no. mebbe Mario Batali

24. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking he could have maybe eaten an Italian sub in the 2nd half and it would have been as effective...

25. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    not sure if others have seen the questionable call from a different angle. i had thought it was onside considering the perspective they used on the broadcast. barely onside. but alas, that's how it goes. :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]