Match 41: Slovakia - Italy :: Post - Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP F: Italy, Paraguay, New Zealand, Slovakia' started by sidspaceman, Jun 24, 2010.

1. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    ----------------------------------------------

Slovakia 3-2 Italy

This thread is neutral and strictly moderated.

Please take strongly partisan discussion to the
    team boards or to the World Rivalry board.

----------------------------------------------
    No Flames - No Trolls
    ----------------------------------------------​

2. M.O.T

M.O.T Member

May 9, 2008
    That is how it is done Slovakia.

3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    You've gotta root for Slovakia after that game!

4. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Slovakia played really well there. It was smart not to bunker when they were ahead. That's why it's a well deserved win.

5. CastleBravo

CastleBravo New Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Wow! What an entertaining game. As a big fan of underdogs, I'm glad to see Slovakia go through. Ciao, Italia! You just didn't bring it ... until the last 10 minutes. Not enough.

6. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, amazing stuff. Full credit to Slovakia!

7. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what happens when you sleep walk through your first two games and 80 minutes of the third.

8. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a game!!! Congrats to Slovakia! You guys played incredible! Way to send the reigning champs home in shame: bottom of the group!

Good luck in the knockouts.

9. The Natural

The Natural New Member

Jun 3, 2008
    It was offside, good thing that you're not a reffing at this world cup

10. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    2006 finalist are the first in line to going home!

11. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    that match was EPIC , longest game in the history of tennis till now lasting over 11 hours , reminded me of the nike add where sampras and aggasi kept playing till they grew beards hehe

still cant believe the champion and runner ups have gone out as the bottom of thier groups in the first round , wonder how the italians deal with the offside decision of thier disallowed goal

12. v00d00daddy

v00d00daddy Member

May 22, 2007
    Toronto
    Well that was frustrating.

Some of the Italians should be ashamed of themselves. First and foremost...LIPPI.

Iaquinta should never wear the jersey again and the same goes for Montolivo.

Too little too late. Italy looked terrible for the majority of the game.

The "offside" goal was questionable based on what I saw during the telecast.

Howard Webb is a coward. He should have booked Mucha on more than one occassion. The assistant referee saw a clear punch by Mucha and they still let him stay on the field.

That's what happens when you have an English officiating staff. They called that game like it was a rugby game. Poor.

I hope Rosetti refs against England and sends off Rooney for looking at him funny.

I can't believe Italy crapped the bed so badly. Ah well.....venting done. :D

13. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    clearly off sides. the ball may have crossed the line too, but who cares, italy was just terrible. antonio cassano, miccoli, and all the so called "cancers" that are actually talented are smiling im sure

14. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    The last 20 minutes was the best of this World Cup.

15. lunarv

lunarv New Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Hello, I am new here but I had to make a comment about this game. First off, I cannot believe that both finalists will not make it through and that Slovakia was amazing in that game. Overall excellent game and this WC is getting better and better each game

16. Tori Maximus

Tori Maximus Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Europe
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Congratulations to Slovakia on your earned spot into the next round! You played hard the entire time, clearly hungry to win and made mince meat of my team's defense. Now, I'm going to lick my wounds, then kick back with a glass of wine and enjoy the rest of the tournament.

Have a good time everyone and I can't wait to watch all the teams that have made it.

17. The Natural

The Natural New Member

Jun 3, 2008
    Lippi should have never went back to manage Italy he should have left on a high note

18. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Slovensko- blahprianie a gratulacia!

Great efforts all around!

19. ashindia

ashindia Member

Apr 14, 2009
    India,Hyderabad
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    what a match

20. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I asked this on the match thread and I'll ask again - does anybody know of a good tomato-packaging company in Italy? I think I want to make a pretty hefty investment.

:D

21. RobbyW

RobbyW New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Well more injury time because of the acting by the Slovak player - fake injuries, rivaling the Italian acting.

If Italy played like they did for the final 20 minutes throughout the tournament, I definitely would want to see them move on. The Paraguay match was exciting, Italy set up alot of plays, but rarely finished.

The better playing team moved on.

22. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    RIP with 4 stars its better than live forever with 1

23. TheGrimSweeper

Jul 16, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What pisses me off the most is this what the team everyone think best represents Italy when its far from it.

Leaving players like Cassano, Miccoli, Rossi at home is just inexcusable. Lippi never should of returned as coach.

24. ssri

ssri New Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Wow, Quagerellia(sp?) was excellent since coming on. He could have been the new Rossi/Squillachi(sp?) of the tournament. I mean, how hard would it have been for him to replace the other ineffective forwards?

25. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Italy didn't have enough talent on the roster to compensate for individual errors and key injuries. Buffon probably would have saved one of those goals, maybe two of them. Slovakia didn't give up easy chances and seized the chances they were given, and that was enough.

The third goal for Slovakia looked like their just-entered sub simply outran the exhausted Italian midfielder (De Rossi?). That's what can happen when one coach has to use all of his subs much earlier than the other.