Match 41: FRA : SUI - RAPALLINI (ARG)

Discussion in 'Euro 2020: Refereeing' started by code1390, Jun 27, 2021.

1. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Not at all. But make fixing has happened and FIFA is corrupt (that’s been proven multiple times).

My only point is that when every league/tournament reviews and shows the review but all of a sudden, a major tournament reviews, but doesn’t show it, it not only sucks for fans, but it opens the tournament to questioning. (They haven’t shown the review many times this tournament)

Even with reviews, many he still argue the call. When they all of a sudden stop showing reviews that you know they have, you have to wonder why?

2. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    That was a horrible advantage call back.

3. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over/under 0.5 VAR retakes

rh89 repped this.
  4. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    I'll take the over.

5. vinDeezul

vinDeezul New Member

Jun 30, 2017
    At this level, refereeing is also about player management, and the camera views do not show this. The bookings are all correct, however, there was no effort seen that would modify player behaviour.

And what is with bending downward on set plays. This is not the only referee doing it, so unless the mechanics have been updated!

Were there two coin tosses prior to shoot-out (I was composing this so missed it)? I heard the Swiss say we start first.

6. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    The VOR is a smoke-filled room where deals are made.

7. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the number of pens saved at this tournament, it’s astounding we haven’t had one yet. Says something about how keepers have adjusted and trained.

SccrDon and jarbitro repped this.
  8. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Theyve gotten the back foot on the line thing down well.

jarbitro, Thegreatwar and rh89 repped this.
  9. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Sommer waiting for the VAR check was something. Players really have learned how this all works haven't they?

JasonMa, MetroFever and rh89 repped this.
  10. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I would have thought the save was coming back.

11. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Chosing the goal.

12. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had about an inch of the heel on the line. Like Massref mentioned, keepers have really gotten that thing down.

13. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That can't be right. We hear all the time how we really can't crack down on dissent from players and coaches because players can't adjust to changes in officiating and we'll just be sending a bunch of people off in our games.

(Turning sarcasm meter off now . . .)

superdave, SccrDon, Thegreatwar and 3 others repped this.
  14. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, training to avoid a technical offence that would overturn your biggest possible individual accomplishment in a match (pen save) is a little/lot different than changing some of the culture of the game and fighting human nature.

Thegreatwar repped this.
  15. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    In his pre-kicks conference with the goalkeepers, Rapallini can be seen showing them a minimal distance with his thumb and forefinger and then doing the pleading gesture with two hands.

16. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Lloris was completely off on one, but it didn't matter. That was the only one I noticed.

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Evergreen post

SccrDon, djmtxref, Rufusabc and 2 others repped this.
  18. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Why do you always seem to go for these weird angles in your posts?

You have this weird crusade against diving where you think it is some disease that is ruining the game, when there may have been one or two dives this entire tournament.

Now you're on about some nefarious conspiracy of matching fixing. Matching fixing has never been proven or come close to being proven at these tournaments in the modern era. It's been a wonderful tournament that has been well officiated for the most part and you go in and pollute the thread by saying "maybe there is match fixing involved" because there haven't been enough replays shown of the VAR checks for your liking.

Match fixing is simply not an issue or threat at this level of the game. Everyone involved simply has too much money or too much to lose to take part in this.

Before I started refereeing, I genuinely thought the 2002 World Cup was fixed in favor of Korea. Then, I took a step back and just realized it was a combination of grossly incompetent refereeing and terrible practices/training that finally caught up with the officials.

For years, officials were terrified of keeping the flag down on a close offside call for fear of the player offside (better a dodgy offside than a dodgy goal). They also had this horrible habit of calling phantom free kicks against the attackers coming out on any set piece.

In the 2002 World Cup it just so happened that decisions that were constantly made before all happen to go in favor of Korea and go against Spain and Italy (two countries with a notorious football media).

Whenever stories do come out about matching fixing, they are never at these tournaments or in the major European leagues. It's either in Vietnam or the Balkans where the people involved simply don't make enough from the domestic leagues. That's why it happens. Who would try to rig France vs. Switzerland at the European Championship with the whole world watching?

Why would you even imply this? The corruption that has occurred in FIFA has been corruption that occurs in every political organization or government (i.e. people lining their pockets with funds that should go elsewhere). There has never been any credible or serious evidence or accusation of match fixing at the highest levels.

19. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Not certain where you are coming from.
    But you are being very dishonest here.

First there are numerous simulation incidents every single game - from diving to pretending to be hurt to grabbing the face when the hand hit the chest. Each one are attempts to cheat.

However, I never said that there was match fixing. What I said was that when you do something all year - immediately show VAR replays and then all of a sudden stop, it raises speculation. Everything is done for a reason. Maybe it's corrupt maybe it isn't. It could be ineptitude, technology, etc.

However, when you stop with no explanation, it opens the door for speculation.

But that is really beside the point.

The sport is suffering right now for one reason - officiating. Whether that is those who draft the laws or those who enforce them - officiating is killing the sport.

Offside is a joke. No one knows what a handball is anymore. Players being red carded for clearing the ball and making contact after the ball was long gone. It's become a farce.

I don't understand why officials do not use the tools they were given.
    Caution players for deception and dissent. They are destroying the game.
    There is no valid reason these thing go unpunished. As we see with the KFTM and goalkeepers, if you state a change in enforcement, show the players you are serious and follow through, they will adapt an adapt quickly.

As to your complete lack of knowledge of match fixing, I don't know if you are being deliberately dishonest, simply clueless, or are just young.
    Italy has had two major match fixing scandals in the last 15 years - many, including players, went to jail or were fined/suspended.
    France had one in the 90's resulting of stripping the title from the winners.
    We even had match fixing in the World Cup - as a result, they changed the format. So don't tell me it doesn't happen at the upper levels. Hell, we even had a World Cup awarded to a country based upon corruption. The corruption was uncovered, people punished yet the Cup stays in that country. FFS.

20. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    Just asking questions—which the VMOs refuse to answer!

21. incognitoind

incognitoind Member

Apr 8, 2015
    but them not showing replays has nothing to do with the referees and everything to do with the broadcast. Is the referee supposed to check in with fox and ask if they showed the var footage?

As for the rest of your post, it seems completely out of touch with reality. Euro viewership up 33% since 2016. Copa America, where embellishing is even more rampant, is outperforming euros. So keep telling us how the sport is suffering.

22. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #47 PuckVanHeel, Jun 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
    Europol and Interpol know. But FIFA and UEFA do their three wise monkeys act, and it is political sensitive stuff to act. It takes something like the FBI and political muscle to really unravel.

Just one example;

"Champions League tie in England" = highest level.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/21319807

By the way, 'fixing' is the strongest level of bending matches. Technically, the Calciopoli scandal was (mostly) not about literal fixing of matches. It was about influencing the referee assignments.

When you hear the clueless Mark Clattenburg commentary, one gets an idea why that is important and how referees bring their own weaknesses into the game.

(One other potential weakness is referees being part of the same association and organization as their national teams; the more so when there is a clear hierarchical culture)

23. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know what? This might be the single dumbest thing I've read on our referee forums. You really believe the sport is "suffering" and the only reason is officiating. That's unbelievable.

When you pair something like this with your advocacy against a harsh punishment in the Sweden-Ukraine thread, it absolutely just boggles the mind. You are on here arguing for non-intervention or bizarre counter-intervention in a case where there is widespread agreement over protecting player safety... at the same time that you assert the sport is suffering for "one reason"... that being officiating. I can't even wrap my mind around it.

You don't need to be here. If you want to talk about West Germany and Austria colluding in 1982, you can go elsewhere--it has nothing to do with officiating at this tournament. The act you are putting on is tired. You bring up the VAR lines to imply something nefarious, then when people call you out on that implication, you say "no, that's not what I was saying... but now let's talk about the subject that I absolutely guarantee I didn't want to talk about." And it opens the door now to another poster talking about what Interpol and Europol "know." Great work.

Before you jump into your conspiracy theories, yes, I know there have been scandals in high-level domestic competitions and corruption at FIFA (and so does @RedStar91 , I'm sure, despite your attack on him over it). I also don't care, as it's not relevant to this UEFA tournament. The rules here are pretty simple and, thus far, literally everyone has followed them except for you. I would remind you:

It's a shame that someone who is a moderator elsewhere on this site can't follow the example that every other poster on this forum had helped set until the last 24 hours. And it's particularly so since many people have the wrong impression that you do moderate here.

This is not about differences of opinion on an incident, such as in the other thread. This is about following the rules and not giving license to others to launch conspiracy theories and attack the integrity of the officials (note the other thread with the accusations against Oliver now). Do better or stop posting. And if you have issues, take it up with @Ismitje .

24. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    @Ismitje.
    The moderator label should only be shown for a poster when posting in the forum they moderate, not in others. The exchanges on these subjects currently is a perfect example of why.

PH

25. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a function of the software provided by Xenforo, and unlikely to change. Many moderators would also like the option to ignore specific users outside the forum they moderate, but this is also not possible given the software. I sympathize with both perspectives.