Match 40 | Australia vs Serbia | 23.06.10 | Pre/During/Post Match discussion [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP D: Germany, Australia, Serbia, Ghana' started by el-capitano, Jun 21, 2010.

1. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    [​IMG] v [​IMG]

8.30pm / 23.06.2010 local
    4.30am / 24.06.2010 AEST
    Mbombela Stadium, Nelspruit

2. SerbianInFlorida

SerbianInFlorida New Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I think it's going to be a tough game, but Serbia should have a slight advantage in this game, but with Serbia you never know. Our problem is our mentality, we can beat anyone but we can loose from anyone.

3. WhiteEagles

WhiteEagles New Member

May 11, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    Yes, I agree Serbia should win this game. We have better players and we are on an emotional high from the game against Germany. I just hope we arent too proud about that last win and come out with our best effort.

4. Sarmao's

Sarmao's New Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Serbia will win if they don't self destruct and beat themselves.

5. Loyalty

Loyalty Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Australia
    If all wins came down to "one team having better players" then New Zealand would have been beaten 8-0 by Italy.

Aussie heart will carry the Socceroos a long way in this game and if we ever get 50/50 calls then i don't see why we can't win this game and hope for a favourable result in the Ghana-Germany game.

6. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Surely the FIFA soccer gods have to even out some calls in this game! ;)

7. Sarmao's

Sarmao's New Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Evening out some calls would be a good thing for Serbia, they've already gotten a man sent off and 2 penalties called against them;) both teams have been pretty unfortunate in that department.

8. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well at least the two penalties were a must given. Even Vidic himself laughed after the penalty call, because he knew that was a ridiculous action, like playing Volleyball.
    :D

9. jus2nang

jus2nang Member

Dec 12, 2005
    North London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Any chance of a 1-0 Aussie win here?

10. kibernaut

kibernaut New Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Belgrade
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    Sure. World cup is interesting and because of a fact that anyone can win anyone. Australia have to play fast, aggressive, with lots of pressure on Serbian midfield, with lots of running. They have to force Serbia to make some stupid mistake.

Another half of the job is to isolate Serbian wingers like Ghana did.

Problems are: Does Australia have good left and right backs? Serbian coach saw that gap in his midfield in Ghana game so he started to play 451 in next game. Big problem is absence of Moore.

We will see. 1-0 is not enough for Australia, i think that they will play open game with lots of risk. It will be interesting game to watch.

11. tbnext

tbnext New Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I admit I'm an Aussie and we are eternal optimists but I truly believe we can kick Serbia, whether or not we do depends what Aussie team turns up and whether we actually have anyone with a "back of net" mentality.

Progressing-no chance-Germany will shut down with a boring 1-0 lead and we are never going to get enough.

Next time.

12. Neutral2

Neutral2 Member

Apr 30, 2006
    Germany
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I wonder why you think Germany would shut down with a boring 1-0 lead. If germany scores one, they won´t stop, they are always goal-hungry.

13. motty

motty New Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Funny really. Coming into this WC I was realistic enough to know that this was not a team as good as in 2006, and that getting through this group would be extremely tough. So my main fear wasn't getting eliminated. My main fear was that we would play boring, defensive football and still be eliminated. And playing boring football would turn away droves of potential future football converts in Australia. Australian sports fans, of whatever sport, will not condone boring.

Well, Australia's games have been anything but boring. That's a good thing. It's hard to imagine this last game being boring, with both teams needing a victory.

Key to Australia's chances will be coping with speedy attacks, especially down the flanks, since our defence is old and quite slow. Ghana should have hit us hard in that regard, but for some reason did not. I hope Bresciano starts - he adds another attacking element in mid field that we will need to put some pressure on Serbia.

This one could go either way.

14. Sarmao's

Sarmao's New Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I agree, if Australia's fullbacks can contain Jovanovic and Krasic than they have a chance of winning but I just can't see them scoring 3 goals.

15. Loyalty

Loyalty Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Australia
    Word is Aust's line up will be:

-------------------Schwarzer----------------
    --Wilkshire--- Neill---- Beauchamp--- Carney --
    -------------Culina ---Valeri -----------
    ------Emerton -------Cahill ------Bresciano -----
    -----------------Kennedy-----------------

Holman misses out.........

For Serbia Lukovic back from suspension ... word is Lazovic may start alongside Zigic up front .....

16. jimbregas

jimbregas Member

May 20, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    No suprises there. My bet is Chipperfield will come on at half time for Bresciano.

17. marakana11

marakana11 Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Cali
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    The biggest weakness I see in the Australian line up for me are Wilkshire and Carney. Both solid full backs, but can be exposed by our wingers who have shown they are hungry and in good form after the game versus Germany.

The way I see Australia winning this game is that they become very scrappy in midfield, and condense and force Serbia to play down the middle.

If Krasic and Jovanovic begin to have their way, then its only a matter of time.

Should be very interesting that's for sure.

18. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Wilkshire should be fine. He is very good, his main problem recently has been having to cover for Moore et al in the centre. Also he and Emmo work very well together.

Carney definately has the pace to cover, but not the experience or positional strength at fullback. The left side is our weakness. Bresc is better than Culina in the LM spot but still not as good as Emerton at supporting the fullback. If we can last until Chippers comesonto the left we should be OK IMO.

Both Carney and Wilkshireare young enough and have OK pace at least - it is in the centre where we are old and slow (even without Moore - Beauchamp isn't exactly quick)

19. JimboJim redded

JimboJim redded Red Card

Jun 22, 2006
    Dublin
    I predict that Australia will either win by a small margin or lose by a massive margin. I reckon they will play a dangerous game. They need to be aiming for a big win. It's no good winning 1-0 if Germany beats Gahna by 1 or 2 goals.

20. Sarmao's

Sarmao's New Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Joe Simunic is predicting a 4-0 victory for Serbia, what a proud Aussie.

21. tbnext

tbnext New Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It's all going to be for nothing. I understand.

I love a statistic but we should HAVE SCORED. 10, 9, or 6 on the grass.

But please Aussies, play hot, and dear deity, deliver us some sort of latino mgr next time.

Go USA

22. nfiniti

nfiniti Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Rutherford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    australia saved by serbian's imprecision...

23. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    16' 0-0 Serbia connect on a 1-2 at box top right, #20 Kuzmanovic bursts through to 10m 6-right, but shoots too flat, and it curls out and over.

24. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    22' 0-0 Serbia hold for longer stretches of possession, and more methodical entries into the box. Australia are defending doggedly.

23' 0-0 Serbia play up the right, cross to 6-top right post -- header whiff by the LB (#21 David Carney?), #6 Branislav Ivanović chests it to 6-top right, spins and shoots hard to the far post -- #1 Mark Schwarzer makes himself wide, and blocks it with his right wrist/forearm, and then pounces on the rebound.

25. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    25' 0-0 Serbia go up their right sideline again. #17 Miloš Krasić lofts a poor cross from 25m right sideline onto the roof of the net. Troublesome -- Australia can't keep the ball, and can't close down the highway on the right.