Match 4 Korea Republic vs. Greece: Pre-match / In-match discussion

Discussion in 'GROUP B: Argentina, Nigeria, South Korea, Greece' started by Moishe, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Korea Republic vs. Greece

June 12th 6:30am
    Venue: Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium

Feel free to discuss the match in this pre-match thread. We will add more details to the first post if necessary and encourage everyone to start discussion now that the schedule is set.

Threads are usually closed at 500 posts - so expect new threads closer to the event. Moderators will try to close the thread at a logical transition point and will always provide a link to the most current thread.

2. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Re: Match 4 Korea Republic vs. Greece: Pre-match discussion

Our defense should have their hands full for Christeas and co. We have been vulnerable on set-pieces. This is where the Greeks can expose us. On offense, we need to utilize Lee Chung-yong, Park Chu-young, and Park Ji-sung for quick transition.

3. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA

I see this as a single elimination game on the second day of the World Cup--certainly if anybody loses, they're done.

What will be really interesting is if this is still 0-0 at 60 mins. Especially to see what Greece does, if they come out of their shell, since hypothetically they're the favorites here.

And honestly, I can't believe that in both teams' figuring on how they're going to get to the Round of 16, that this isn't a must win.

4. Mustapha_Al_Jadji

Mustapha_Al_Jadji New Member

Nov 14, 2009

I do not see Greece playing only defense in this game like is stereotype of Grecian team. Greece will see Korea as their best chance and a game to win so they will attack of course. We will see how they can adapt to playing more attack style than usual against Koreans.

5. Covert

Covert Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec,
    Club:
    AEK Athens
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece

There seems to be a lot of misconceptions about the Greek NT here.

In qualifying for the world cup we played a 5-2-3/3-4-3 depending on how you look at it. It may appear as a defensive formation however the wingbacks are given free rein to overlap into the midfield whenever we have possession. The reasoning behind this setup is that Greece has several very good CBs and WBs, and Rehagle wishes to utilize them all to the best of their potential. We used this formation against everyone, be it Moldova or Switzerland, thus I can’t see it changing against Korea.

That said don’t expect us to play very nice football. Rehagle insists on playing big and tall players out of their natural positions, with Salpigidis being the exception, as it gives us both a significant advantage defensively against crosses and offensively off set pieces. Thus expect to see some very strange player placements, with Charisteas and Samaras potentially playing on the right and left wings respectively negating their strengths. Consequently, we rarely score during the run of play.

The team should look something like this (If all players are fit):

----------------Tzorvas/Chalkias/Sifakis
    ----------------------Kyrgiakos
    ----------Papastathopoulos-------Moras
    Seitaridis---------------------------------Torosidis
    ------------------Katsouranis
    --------------------------Karagounis
    Charisteas/Salpigidis---------------Amanatidis/Samaras
    -------------Gekas/Charisteas/Salpigidis/Samaras

The only positions difficult to guess are who will start in nets, and which strikers Rehagle will choose to play. I can only guarantee that Charisteas will start as Rehagle is in love with him.

6. tantagloria

tantagloria New Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

is there any chance that Nikopolidis will return to the Greek team for the World CUp? I know he is currently not in contention, but before every world cup we see people rethink their decisions to retire. Van Der Sar is probably coming back for the dutch, is there any talk of Nikopolidis? He looked epic the one game i saw him this season against Arsenal

7. Covert

Covert Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec,
    Club:
    AEK Athens
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece

Nope, not that i know of.

8. OrlandoEngelaar

Jul 19, 2008
    CA

Key for the Koreans will be if they can break through the tough Greek match and limit the set piece situations for the bigger Greek forwards.
    Key for Greece is how they are going to get their goal and if they can contain the passing game of the Koreans.

9. itaman-redded

itaman-redded Red Card

Dec 17, 2009

Korea Republic can easily beat Greence.

I think Korea can beat Greece 1-0. Or may be 2-0.

10. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan

This will be the best opp for Korea to pick up points as well.
    If Greece push forward Korea will hope to catch them on the break utilizing their speed.

Set plays: Greece > Korea

11. panteraman redded

Mar 9, 2010

Greece is too slow, so I think Korea can beat Greece really easily.

12. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA

They were slow in 2004, as well, and look how that turned out.

The more I think about this game, the better it gets.

There's going to be so much caution in the opening two games in Group A, and this is actually the 3rd game to be played, so I think this will be the first frenzied, blood-in-the-water game we see at the Cup.

You have evenly matched teams with wildly varying styles and strengths.

A draw does neither of them any good.

Both fanbases expect nothing less than a victory in this game because they see their opponent as inferior.

This will be a good one.

13. YCashMoney42

YCashMoney42 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Seoul

Speed vs Power

we shall see. I really think whoever comes up with a victory in this game will most likely advance to next round along with Argies

14. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006

Well... given that Nigeria are the favourites to advance I'm surprised you think this game will be decisive... the Nigeria-Korea game will be decisive. Greece will just supply points to he other teams.

15. YCashMoney42

YCashMoney42 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Seoul

well you never know

to me as a Korean fan, this group seems a lot like one in 2002

where Korea was in the group with Portugal, Poland and USA
    and Portugal/Poland were the favorites to go to second around and both didn't make it.

I dont think Greece will lose all 3 games and Greece will be the team who will supply points but at the same time screw some up

16. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

You should be permanently banned. Stop embarrassing our country.

17. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo

He was banned. That redcard is there for a reason. Please don't quote him anymore.

18. YCashMoney42

YCashMoney42 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Seoul

yes both are under estimated but NK still has no chance in that group in my opinion.

19. korea fan

korea fan New Member

May 9, 2010
    USA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

Well, looking at the past Korea Vs Greece games, Korea has won once, and draw with Greece once.

And, the scorer that made Korea win, was Lee Chun Soo. This year some great players like Park Ji sung, Chu-young Park, and Keun-ho Lee could probably do the same thing like Lee Chun Soo.

From the FSC that I was watching last night, they had a preview of Group B and SKorea vs Greece, and seems like South Korea had most of the advantage.
    I'm hoping that South Korea would win this one, so we can have hope too finish second and go on to elimination round.

20. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

But also we do have a crucial weakness where the Greek can definitely take advantage of-Set Piece.

We better not give up any set-piece to them around the 18-yard box.

21. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana

Odds on favorites to win this game Greece, because Greece are good at set-pieces, which is something that they can definitely take advantage of, and Greece they play a defensive game, more than South Korea does, and Greece they can score goals off the counter-attack

22. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006

I still think Greece has no chance. They will be overrun by the sheer pace of play of Korea. And their defensive play is highly overrated. They have been unable to replicate it at any event since Euro 2004.

23. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

HUGE game for Korea...must get three points IMO and, with the speed & fitness level of Korea's, I feel it will only be a matter of when, not if, they break down the Greeks' defense. Not that it will be easy...the Greeks know how to defend & should not be underestimated!

Also, want to see what kind of chemistry Park Ji-sung & Park Chu-young have & how it translates to Korea's creativity & goal-scoring.

The start time is a bit early for me, on the west coast of the US, but I'll be sure to set my DVR & will be cheering for the Taeguk Warriors!!

TAE HAN MIN GUK!!

24. dudedudedude

dudedudedude Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

I think the player to watch for the Korean team is either Park Chu Young or Lee Chung young. They both bring a lot to our team.

25. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I "know" Korea can beat Greece...but "easily"? Greece is very defensive & that style can be very frustrating to play against & Korea must show patience. The goal(s) will come...but, perhaps, not until the latter stages of the match, when Korea's pace & fitness will tire out the Greek defense & should offer a few clear chances.