Match 4 - GER : POR - LANNOY (FRA)

Discussion in 'Euro 2012: Refereeing' started by MassachusettsRef, Jun 6, 2012.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point is that if ARs can get a call wrong by being a yard off (like we saw in Serie A this year), then so can the AARs. I'm glad they got this right, but he was out of position at the moment of truth. This ball cleanly hit the goal line and bounced away. If it had been, let's say, 3/4 over the line, we probably would have had a very big problem.

The AAR knew he was out of position, too, as he then scoots up to straddle the goal line a split second after the ball is cleared away.

2. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure that's a standard announcement in situations like that. Yes, the game could be abandoned for stuff being thrown on the field. Will it? No. But you've got to make a quasi-serious threat to try to reign in the fools.

3. footyref1

footyref1 Member

Nov 2, 2010
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. The players on the field wouldn't have known where he was positioned so they wouldn't have questioned it. After the game, however, had the ball gone in it may have proved to be a large talking point. Even then, I think everyone would have said he was in a good enough position to make a solid call.

4. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fear that ship has sailed. Remember, they started on the other side and then they got moved to this side. So UEFA--with the input of the referees that use the system, let's remember--found a reason to move them to where they are now. You don't get it. I don't get it. But apparently those that use the system felt there was a benefit to this orientation. I can't see UEFA switching back, because switching to this method for continuation of the experiments implicitly meant there was a problem with the other..

5. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    That's a good point. Though I think that having a referee who wasn't moving at all, just calm and still makes more of a difference than being exactly on the line or a foot or two off. If I was an AAR I would've backed up towards the 18 after the corner had come in and then straddled the line. I'm sure though he would get a talking to for doing not exactly what the instructors want.

They should get some NFL refs to give some instructions, that would be interesting. Maybe the AARs could throw up a flag for a goal, how festive woud that be?

6. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you've hit right on why the AAR is not a solution IMO. The AAR cannot stand for the entire match straddling the line to assure a perfect view. Just as complaints can be made as to an AR not being able to get to the line on time to see if the whole ball crossed the whole line, there will be situations where the AAR cannot get there either.

7. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    I expect the AARs to go away once technology proves itself to call goals in these big tournaments.

8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think so. I think 5 on-field officials are here to stay in some capacity. But we're both just guessing. What FIFA does (and when it does it) will be the big test. For it to be used in Brazil, it's going to have to be a system known and tested by the non-UEFA referees, too. If we see it as an experiment at the FIFA tournaments next year (WYC, U17 and Confed), then I think there will be no turning back.

9. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Jeez Pody, Low must've got you fired up.

10. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Well that would be fine if the AARs show'd that they actually did something to help call fouls in the box or something important. We just don't know because we're not privy to those headset conversations. If they prove to be more than just human sensors for goal line decisions then that's fine.

Also I wanna see the ARs get whistles...I just think it'll be fun!

11. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO any post that shows support for a type of double dual system should lead to a permanent ban.

;)

SimpleGame6 repped this.
  12. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Oh come on...at this level that's nothing.

MrPerfectNot repped this.
  13. Sian

Sian Member

Dec 4, 2011
    I seem to remember some chatter about different technology (HawkEye, known from Tennis, and the Danish/German GoalRef) being tested at the end of last and start of next season.

14. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Instead of backing up along the line so he could make that call the AAR runs backwards out of the way of the AR who might be out of position.

15. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Hard one for the ref to see on the other side of his body.

16. footyref1

footyref1 Member

Nov 2, 2010
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "But it's only my first one..."

17. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good thing it wasn't for PI then... lol

18. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was strange. Looked like he started running with play then called the foul (correctly).

19. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um...was that slap VC?

On the replay it really looked like an intentional slap.

20. footyref1

footyref1 Member

Nov 2, 2010
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shoulder to shoulder only applies when players come together with similar force. Nani clearly played the man and not the ball with far too much force. Easy call.

21. Sian

Sian Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Its telling for the match that the Ref thread is longer than the match thread :p

22. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoops wrong thread

23. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    what slap .. he punched him in the face infront of the fifth official and his only reaction was to run to seperate them and not tell the referee what happened ...

i really dont understand whats the use of those officials who dont do anything , never once i saw them influence the referee with a decision unlike the linesmen , they are only there to observe nothing more , maybe give them a flag or something :rolleyes:

24. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    I didn't see the play you're talking about. The 4th official does have an effect on the game, at the top level they usually have headsets and they talk to the referee all the time about what's going on. They also keep track of the time.

25. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was right around the 65th minute. Open fist punch/slap where he immediately did the "oh so sorry it was an accident routine".