Match 38 | United States vs Algeria | June 23 | Post-Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP C: England, USA, Algeria, Slovenia' started by JaredSS07, Jun 23, 2010.

1. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it didn't really impact the result, but you do have to feel bad for the guy. He, in particular, just seemed to run and run and run for Algeria, on both sides of the ball, which really kept them in the game against the speed and urgency of the US.

2. WOODSYUK

WOODSYUK New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Hello, I'm English and I registered especially to tell you boys just how pleased I am for u. I took a half day off work today just for this afternoon games and am amazed we won. More than that i'm amazed and pleased the us reached the knockout stage. No better way than smashing one in at 93 min. Congrats on winning the group, the game and progressing in the comp. I love America, only been to Hawaii, Vegas and San fran but that's enough to know. Smash Ghana in the second round then who knows hey!?

3. alocksley

alocksley Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Good luck vs. the Germans. You have nothing to fear but fear itself.

4. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Must spread rep...

5. Garrison

Garrison New Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well, that, and the game coming down to penalty kicks ;)

6. KennyDalglish

KennyDalglish Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Group toppers - as expected.

And the good news is we dont face Germany.

7. Garrison

Garrison New Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Oh come on, there's no way you expected to still win the group when that clock hit 90:00. My heart jumped about 50 feet out from my chest when we scored.

8. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    If that's the instruction its given with a big wink. The reality is that often the flag goes up in "even" situations. Calling an "even" situation offside is forgotten in a day. When failing to raise the flag for an offside that leads to a goal it's never forgotten. And this was a very close play. Watching it at full speed it looked to be offside. While replays show it was not, I thought Harkes and esp his partner were a bit harsh on the AR. The call in the Sovenia game was much more reprehensible.

Fortunately we eventually put one on the net, and now we party on through Saturday.

9. KennyDalglish

KennyDalglish Member

Feb 2, 2007
    I was not that optimistic today during the second half today- I dont deny that. But I did believe that we were the best team in the group (before the world cup even started) and the way the team applied itself through the past 10 days, we were indeed the best team in this group.

10. toll_booth

toll_booth New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Wow what a game. I, too, thought it was going to end 0-0. But when Donovan scored...wow. And thank god it counted!

11. dehrbinsk

dehrbinsk New Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Lafayette Hill, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    told y'all, 2-0. kiss the ring, batches
    [​IMG]

12. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, good game.

Feel sorry for the Algerian fans, seems the team was willing to settle for a draw or possibly a 1-0 win and the hopes of a late Slovenia equalizer. They were willing to risk the 0-0 and knocking the USA out (which would no doubt still give them a nice reception back home).

For me, they didn't really come out to play in the 2nd half. Some decent counters.

Still, the team did perform well, especially against England, and their fans can be proud of the team's effort.

Really, two teams go out, but everyone can be proud of the effort of their teams and everyone could have their heads held high.

13. zhe fulano

zhe fulano Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    Jan 31, 2010
    Florida Keys, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is far more excitment on this side of the pond than Europe realizes, and their is healthy optimism that our run is far from over.

Your comments = class act. Cheers.

14. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love how everyone can find the few remaining posts referencing the English language, but somehow miss me warning everyone to stay on topic.

So this is the last warning... please make sure your posts are discussing the United States vs Algeria match.

15. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    :D

but but, its more fun to stay off topic! :eek:

i actually have to give it to Algeria too, they fought well... i think they just need a good striker who can do some finishes...also, they need to calm down and stop arguing with the referee.. i just dont get it.. why African players have a hot blood? just relax and enjoy the game!

16. Adam Alberts

Adam Alberts Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought US was supposed to dominate Slovenia and Algeria. Is it really super great that they won this, 1-0?

17. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Algeria plays with a five-man back line, and we still created a ton of chances. We even put one away, but it was called back because of a questionable offside.

But we did dominate Algeria. Heck, England couldn't score against them, couldn't really even put together good chances against them.

Slovenia is not the type of team that loses by big margins. We are fortunate to have come back in that game.

18. Iforgotwhat8wasfor

Jun 28, 2007
    Beats what Germany did to Serbia. Or Spain to Switzerland. Or France.

19. urko

urko New Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Slovenia
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Congrats to team usa. A well deserved goal, sadly it took us out of the 16, but this is life...Should be usa and slo, but we didnt manage to score a goal..
    Anyway, hope u guys make it far, u have shown a great spirit and with some luck u can make it to the semi final for sure.

20. Harrisand11

Harrisand11 New Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Bellingham, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure . . . is this on topic?

[​IMG]
    ;)

21. sVVo

sVVo New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Oporto
    Club:
    Vitoria Guimaraes
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    congratulations to usa supporter. Footbal is the best game of world.

Força Portugal!

22. Alexnova

Alexnova Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Somebody was a little pissed at today's loss and took his anger off the pitch as reported by Yahoo Sports

PRETORIA, South Africa – Algeria soccer player Rafik Saifi slapped a female journalist across the face as the aftermath of the United States’ dramatic World Cup victory turned ugly at Loftus Versfeld Stadium on Wednesday night.

While walking through the interview zone, Saifi spotted writer Asma Halimi, who works for Algerian newspaper Competition, and struck her with his open hand in front of dozens of witnesses. Halimi responded by striking the player in the mouth.

Saifi then threw a sports drink bottle at a wall in the interview area, as Halimi was ushered away by security staff.

Saifi came on as substitute for the last five minutes of the USA’s 1-0 victory.

“I said nothing to him and he reached over and hit me,” Halimi said to Yahoo! Sports. “So I hit him back. I said nothing to him first.”

It is understood that Saifi and Halimi had previously had a difference of opinion over an article she wrote for her newspaper.

“She was standing there and the guy came here and he hit her,” said Francisco Aguilar Chang, a reporter from Guatemala who witnessed the incident. “Then she hit him back and her nail caught his lip.”

Saifi and Algerian football association officials refused to comment when quizzed by Yahoo! Sports.

The Algerian team has come under heavy criticism in its homeland after a disappointing World Cup in which it finished at the bottom of Group C and was knocked out of the tournament.

When asked if she would launch an official complaint with governing body FIFA and the Algerian F.A., Halimi replied: “Of course.”

23. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Props to Halimi for not taking any sh*# from that idiot. That's a woman who isn't cowed easily.

24. M.O.T

M.O.T Member

May 9, 2008
    lol

25. Jorgen

Jorgen New Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Hi, guys. I'm from Russia and I have to say you've got a great national team of yours. It plays with heart and nerve and it cannot be unnoticed. Personally, I feel a bit envious :) and I'd like to say your team's obtained a lot more supporters from my country due to its sincere play :)

Congratulations and thanx for almost beating Slovenia ;)