Match 35: POR : FRA - MATEU LAHOZ (ESP)

Discussion in 'Euro 2020: Refereeing' started by code1390, Jun 21, 2021.

1. allan_park

allan_park Member

May 15, 2000
    Just to add a bit of weight to this - although we all know, genuinely, that former Pros are not the best at giving LotG judgements - the "experts" on duty in the UK last night, Alan Shearer, Frank Lampard, Rio Ferdinand and Jurgen Klinnsman, said pretty much the same as it appears the ESPN guys did.

The only minor difference was they thought that PK #1 was the most blatant/obvious, and they unanimously supported Lahoz in giving it. Interestingly, though, while they thought #4 was a PK, they were not especially concerned at it not being given. That, of course, may have been influenced by the relative lack of impact it had, which shouldn't be a consideration for those of us on this board.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  2. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    And possibly permanent brain damage? Why are you fine with people being punched in the head?

3. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    WTF. I most certainly said nothing remotely like that.

4. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    You said you'd caution him when he's deserving of a red card and an extended ban. Seems like you approve if you don't red card the keeper in that instance.

5. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It’s the follow through with the elbow that does the damage

6. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    Yeah it's bad, if I was a keeper I'd do that if I wanted to scare a player off of headers for the rest of time.

7. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Have fun with your condescending straw men. I'm done here.

8. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    This was pretty much the unanimous perspective on a UK referee discussion board.

9. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    Not condescending, just convincing.

10. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    By chance is that what used to be the OSUK board? I used to hang there until it or I fell out of contact.

11. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I finally had a chance to watch the France-Portugal game on demand. Fun game overall.

I honestly don't know how anyone could seriously debate the penalty where Lloris connected with Danilo. Definitely a foul, and I fully support a caution. Lloris comes at Danilo with his arm much more at a perpendicular angle. If that play isn't a foul, we might as well just admit that keepers can do whatever they want. My son was watching with me, and he thought it should have been a send-off (he's an attacker - take that one with a grain of salt :) ). I'm not going that far, but on the spectrum of no-foul to send-off, that foul was definitely a lot closer to send-off than a no-foul.

The Mbappe penalty is absolutely soft and shouldn't have been given, but I can't call it a clear and obvious error. There is some contact. Probably shouldn't have been a foul, but also shouldn't be overturned via VAR.

Third penalty is a solid PK for me. I know there's a distance factor, but the arm is very high. I think even under the 21-22 interpretations that it's a penalty.

Mateu Lahoz is definitely expressive on the field. The only real concern/issue I had was I felt he appeared to be "running away" from the French players instead of standing his ground a bit more. I know he was trying to get away from surrounding players, but for me it looked too much like a show.

12. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    Totally agree! Because of his (brilliant!) manner on the pitch, I think there is a danger that everything he does is seen as an example of 'typical Mateu', and no more is read into it.

I genuinely think he was a bit flustered from the start of the match, which showed in both his self-presentation and calls IMO. The game wasn't challenging enough after the France penalty to give us enough data to prove it, but I thought he had 'lost it' a bit circa that decision too.