Match #34 - Iran v. USA

Discussion in 'Group B - England, Iran, United States, Wales' started by soccernutter, Nov 1, 2022.

1. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 soccernutter, Nov 1, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
    Match #34

[​IMG]

Iran

v.

USA

[​IMG]

Doha (Al Thumama Stadium)
    Nov 29, 2022
    10 pm Qatar
    7 pm London (GMT)
    2 pm New York City
    10:30 pm Tehran

Please read the guidelines (your responsibility)​

edcalvi repped this.
  2. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    This game has all the ingredients to turn into a WC classic. Can't help but feel that everything will still be on the line at the 90+ minute mark of this game.

brasileiragem, Anti Santos, Hexa and 2 others repped this.
  3. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    5 out of Iran's 6 last goals at the WC have been after the 90th minute... and Iran has scored in the 90th+ minute in 4 of our last 5 matches...

btw, does anyone know which team will wear their home kits? I want it to be a repeat of 1998 with Iran in red, but it seems like this time Iran will wear white?

4. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC Iran's the home team; the US will wear the same blue kits as against England.

Agenbite and persianfootball repped this.
  5. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No injuries or suspensions on the US side... anything from Iran? Azmoun looked hurt but I'm sure he will be raring to go. Jahanbakhsh is out right?

6. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

persianfootball and Cosmin10 repped this.
  7. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Iran's Alireza Jahanbakhsh will miss the match due to suspension but based on what has been reported, Iran doesn't have anyone injured to the point they would be doubtful due to injury. Some have knocks but even our goalie, Beiranvand, seems cleared to start.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  8. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #8 Iranian Monitor, Nov 27, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
    Over their first two games, the following stats understood in context are revealing:

Overall (Game 1 & Game 2)

IRAN: 2GP 1-0-1 3P GF:4 GA: 6 GD: -2
    Shots For: 29 (8 + 21) Shots Against: 23 (13 + 10)
    Shots Difference: 29-23= +6
    Average # of Shots Taken per game: 29/2= 14.5
    Average # of Shots Allowed per game: 23/2= 11.5
    SOG For: 9 (3 + 6) SOG Against: 10 (7 + 3)
    SOG Difference: 9 -10= -1
    Average # of SOG Taken per game: 9/2= 4.5
    Average # of Shots Allowed per game: 10/2= 5

USA: 2GP 0-2-0 2P GF:1 GA: 1 GD: 0
    Shots For: 16 (6 + 10) Shots Against: 15 (7+ 8)
    Shots Difference: 16-15= +1
    Average # of Shots Taken per game: 16/2= 8
    Average # of Shots Allowed per game: 15/2= 7.5
    SOG For: 3 (2+1) SOG Against: 6 (3+3)
    SOG Difference: 3 - 6= -3
    Average # of SOG Taken per game: 9/2= 4.5
    Average # of Shots Allowed per game: 10/2= 5

9. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi everyone,

In light of the recent brouhaha online over social media posts related to this game, I wanted to proactively remind you of the below:

To be clear - and we're all aware that the circumstances were always going to be politically charged as soon as the draw happened - this thread is for the game only. Bring in non-football/soccer-related noise, even if adjacent to the match, and at minimum you can expect to get sent to timeout.

edcalvi and Gacm32 repped this.
  10. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    Not sure if Beiranvand starting would be good, he already struggles with crosses a bit, with his condition he might misjudge and allow in a goal.

11. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I'm undecided myself. I like Beiranvand mostly for his long throws and his experience/leadership qualities. Hosseni, however, has always impressed me at Esteghlal and, now that the stage fright should be gone, in some ways is a better keeper. But for such a big game, my guess is Queiroz will go with experience.

12. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    Yea despite not being able to be blamed for almost all the England goals, Hosseini looked like a statue on the pitch during the England match, but he seemed normal during the Wales match. However, he still has not been tested so I have no idea how he will react. Ultimately our goalkeeper situation is bad right now, which is rare as usually in the World Cup up to now our keepers have always risen to the occasion.

13. Iranianfootie

Iranianfootie Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    As an Iranian-American, this is an interesting game for me. US struggles against a low block and that's not exactly a secret. This is exactly the type of match that Quieroz likes. He just needs to play for a draw and will likely bunker down. BUT...we didn't bunker against Wales and we got a great result. We bunkered against England and had a very poor performance.

But US has speed that Wales doesn't have so if we try to play against US like we played against Wales, I feel that our lack of pace will eventually expose us.

edcalvi, Anti Santos and Paul Calixte repped this.
  14. Anti Santos

Anti Santos Member

Sporting
    Portugal
    Jun 29, 2021
    I hope Iran wins, nothing against USA citizens, everything against the Anglos foreign policy (even not liking the Iranian Regime) and even worse the arrogance of the Anglocentric dominated media who dictates who we have to like or not.

Nevertheless I didn't liked that type of Twitter thread Queiroz has done against Klinsmann the other day, first because I don't believe he was talking about Iranian culture, he wanted to mean football culture, and the other thing we know he likes to create a mentality siege, everyone is against us, but he must remember he isn't someone like Mourinho when he was on top (not now).

Everytime Queiroz goes ballistic the results and performances go against him, hopefully I am wrong on this one.

Iranian Monitor repped this.
  15. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Which is ironic, because Berhalter (the USA manager) can use this type of basic motivation tactic and it be more truthful. Everyone seems to be rooting against the USA in this match. I might be in the minority, but I think they are being underestimated. They have a lot of young talent, and will be hungry to make a statement.

Old Cosmos Fan and Anti Santos repped this.
  16. Anti Santos

Anti Santos Member

Sporting
    Portugal
    Jun 29, 2021
    Make no mistake, for me outside the top European and South American sides they have one of the most interesting combination of young quality players and agressive approach on the pitch, by no any means I would like Portugal to face them, we actually played them in 2002 and 2014 and it was a loss and draw on the last minute.

I actually think they thrive on the "Everyone is against us" mentality, don't think this game will be easier for Iran than the England one, but I would like Iran to win, nothing against the USMNT or the people who live there.

It's that I don't like some things on their foreign policy, only that, and with this don't mix that I am approving the Iranian Regime, not at all, just Iranians have to sort it by themselves and if they want.

Iranian Monitor repped this.
  17. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Forza USA!

Old Cosmos Fan repped this.
  18. KayC

KayC Member

Dec 19, 2013
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    One very important aspect is that the Iran team is capable of scoring goals. This is something I have not seen from USMNT even through qualifiers. Don’t forget USA came 3rd in concacaf tied on points with Costa Rca, so they should be the underdogs in this match but somehow most pundits and media here are favouring them…

19. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an American-Iranian, this is an extremely emotional game for me. US soccer men's national team has always been in my heart, and I always loved Iran soccer team so much. US is my love. I will be super happy for whoever advances to the next round out of those two teams.

edcalvi, Father Ted and Paul Calixte repped this.
  20. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    This will be fun.

edcalvi repped this.
  21. kidkicker

kidkicker Member

United States
    Aug 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besides the WC Final, the final matches of the group stage are my favorite thing about the tournament. Let's go US!

22. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Referee Assignments:

Referee: Antonio Mateu Lahoz (ESP)
    Assistant Referee 1: Pau Cebrian Devis (ESP)
    Assistant Referee 2: Roberto Diaz Perez del Palomar (ESP)
    Fourth Official: Kevin Ortega (PER)
    Reserve Assistant Referee: Jesus Sanchez (PER)
    Video Assistant Referee: Juan Martinez (ESP)
    Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Ricardo de Burgos (ESP)
    Offside Video Assistant Referee: Neuza Back (BRA)
    Support Video Assistant Referee: Alejandro Hernandez Hernandez (ESP)
    Standby Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Bruno Pires (BRA)

Mateu Lahoz did the QAT-SEN game earlier...3 yellow cards each no reds, 8 minutes added time in first half and 7 in the second...

23. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    Ecuador unlikely to beat Senegal at this point. Netherlands is going to get 3 points against Qatar for sure. This means England will go for the win against Wales in order to avoid Netherlands. It would therefore be unlikely for England to lose against Wales, less than 20% chance of this happening.

So our destiny is virtually in our own hands. We just need a draw or win today and we are through.

24. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    #24 vancity eagle, Nov 29, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
    This will be a very interesting match.

I still remember the 1998 version.

But this one has much higher stakes.

Like somebody said in another thread, matchday 3 is one of the most exciting parts of the WC.

25. brasileiragem

brasileiragem Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    May 21, 2018
    IMG_2901.JPG Fantastic atmosphere here at the stadium

Father Ted and edcalvi repped this.