Match 31: CRO : SCO - RAPALLINI (ARG)

Discussion in 'Euro 2020: Refereeing' started by code1390, Jun 21, 2021.

1. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Match #31
    Croatia : Scotland
    Tuesday, 22 June 2021
    20:00 local time (15:00 EDT)
    Glasgow

Referee: Fernando Andres Rapallini (ARG)
    AR1: Juan Pablo Belatti (ARG)
    AR2: Diego Yamil Bonfa (ARG)
    Fourth Official: Bartosz Frankowski (POL)

Video Assistant Referee: Alejandro Hernández (ESP)
    AVAR 1: José María Sánchez (ESP)
    AVAR 2: Iñigo Prieto (ESP)
    AVAR 3: Juan Martínez Munuera (ESP)

2. allan_park

allan_park Member

May 15, 2000
    Well, Rapallini's next match just got very interesting - he has himself an "all or nothing" game.

After today's games confirmed at least two 3rd-place sides with only 3 points, this game takes on huge significance.

A draw eliminates both sides, but a win for either of them guarantees at least a last-16 slot.

Could be fun for him. I wish him well!

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  3. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Does a draw necessarily eliminate Croatia? They would be in third and tied with Ukraine on goal differential. They are behind in goals, so would need a 3-3 tie to get to the next tie breaker or a 4-4 tie to pass Croatia, right? (Not that those are plausible, but aren't they possible? Or am I missing something?)

EDIT: Oh, never mind. 1 + 1 = 2 not 3 . . . .

4. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First caution at 26' for Lovren was weird. I think it's one everyone expects and definitely gets given by a CONMEBOL referee, but the actual contact wasn't terrible and the action was the clear the ball--not kick an opponent--he just got surprised at the last second. Worth watching if anyone has the time. In the end, I think you create more problems for yourself if you don't give it, but I could also argue it was only technically careless.

5. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Was it for reckless or SPA?

6. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reckless. Defender A is out on the right wing and was trying to clear a ball played back to him by Defender B. But the attacker who was coming back from having challenged the goalkeer (who had previously played the ball to Defender B), surprised him from the blind side, nicking the ball first toward the touch line. Ball was likely going out of play before the attacker got it but, even if not, his back would have been to goal with no support.

I'm making more of this than I should. Lovren immediately accepted the yellow. It really was the only rational decision. But the theoretical argument for "actually, that's not misconduct" is pretty sound.

7. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This becomes very fun second half because a draw is useless to both teams.

8. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I went back and found it and have no idea what play I was thinking about when I asked about SPA, as it sure wasn't that one . . . .

9. USSF REF

USSF REF Guest

So much for that theory. Zzzzzz

EDIT: nope. I thought I was on the England Gabe page. Nvm.

10. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    This is the referee from the referee exchange with CONMEBOL, yes? I'm curious to know more about these exchanges. This is a relatively consequential game - is that somewhat guaranteed for the visiting referee to make their travel worthwhile? Is CONMEBOL the only confederation participating at the EUROs?