Match 31: Chile-Switzerland 21 June (Pre-Match)

Discussion in 'GROUP H: Spain, Switzerland, Honduras, Chile' started by Pichi, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ----------------------------------------------
    Match 31

Chile-Switzerland

21 June-Nelson Mandela Bay/Port Elizabeth

LOCAL/CET 1600 hrs
    EST 1000 hrs
    PST 0700 hrs

This thread is neutral and strictly moderated.

Please take strongly partisan discussion to the
    team boards or to the World Rivalry board.

AIM Chat Information

coming soon...

No Flames - No Trolls

2. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Re: Match 31: Chile-Switzerland 21 June

Estadio de Port Elizabeth (al nivel del mar), estará lleno de camisetas rojas (chilenos y suizos)
    [​IMG]

3. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana

Switzerland will beat Chile I think, as this will be a very good match for both teams, but that the Swiss will outperform the Chileans and beat them 2-1, making it a very close game

4. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

:rolleyes:

5. Ohiginiano

Ohiginiano Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    El Teniente Stadium
    Club:
    O Higgins Rancagua

I think this game will depend on how both of these teams did on their first games. My prediction that Chile will arrive to this game with three points and Switzerland will arrive, because I predict they will loose against Spain. So, Switzerland will have to attack Chile from the beginning and Chile will have space for the counter with our 3-3-1-3 formation, especially using the speed and hability from players like Sanchez, Bouseajour and Gonzalez. I predict Chile wins 2-0.

6. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland

yes, playing Spain in the first match is not a gift for us...

The Swiss had been training hard in the altitude, will now fly to South Africa and recover to be match sharp against Spain. And the team should be at its best against Spain. But playing Spain in the first match means for us we need a draw against them otherwise it will get very difficult.

So, if Spain beats us, then Chile are the favorites and probably beats us. But if we reach at least a draw against Spain, than there is more pressure on Chile in this match and the advantage is for Switzerland.

So, yes, I also think it depends a lot on the first match and hope we can make the life for Spain very difficult :rolleyes:

7. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Pretty even match, this will be the key match to see who goes through with Spain.

I give a small edge to Chile but the Swiss are not exactly a walk in the park either.

8. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK

I agree 100%.

If the Swiss beat or draw Spain...then they can afford to play patiently on the counter...which would be deadly for Chile and I can easily see them beating us.

Hopefully you guys will get run over by the FURIA ROJA eager to make a statement in the opening match. :D

No hard feelings...I like the Swiss...one of my cousins is Swiss... :p

9. Ezto

Ezto Member

Jun 27, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

chocale my cuz is also swiss from lausanne

10. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland

hope Spain underestimates us a bit... Pedro for example said in an interview he doesn't know any swiss player... and Basle and Zurich did look quite bad against Barça and Real the last two seasons, so they surely will understimate us a bit without wanting it. But then their playing style doesn't really suit us. So, it will be tough.

Anyway, like to see Valdivia again ;-)

11. rubette

rubette New Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund

Match decider on who will go through to the next round.
    The Spaniards will definitely be first and second place i think it will be the Switz cause they play more organize greek football.

Anyway swiss will get knocked out eventually by the Brazilians. :rolleyes:

12. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    I hope they play like the Greeks...that way we will surely win... :D

13. eintracht.19

eintracht.19 New Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Toms River, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll take switzerland in a heartbeat. 2-1

14. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    May god hear you on Switzerland playing like Greece.

15. eintracht.19

eintracht.19 New Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Toms River, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh god, I can't have 2 of my teams playing like that (I'm Greek and Switzerland is my home at heart, I don't just like whatever teams cool at the time, had to make that clear)

16. zasal911

zasal911 Member

Sep 1, 2000
    I insist that it all depends on what happens the first game.

if Switzerland has to look for the win against Chile and look to open up a bit then i see Chile winning by a healthy margin as a result of their pace and skill going forward.

if Switzerland go without that pressure to win, without the need to win, then they could relatively easily hold Chile scoreless and create scoring opportunities on the counter attacks.

Chile goes in with a 3pt lead on Switzerland, or Chile go in tied or with less points than Switzerland...this will shape the match

17. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Chile, everyone is picking them to be a darkhorse in this tournament, so I am going to have to go with the opinions of all analysts saying that they are, so in this case this is going to be the match decider to determine who goes through, but I see Chile winning this match 3-2 at least

18. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland

so, here we go :)

do you see a draw possible or does your team play to offensive for that? with a draw, we both could qualify with another draw in the last match, but let's not speculate on that. Anyway, I think we both have good chances to go through now. If you get a draw against us, Spain will have to beat you and you can play them out on counter... and you're team is very fast

I guess the first few minutes will be very important and our swiss players will have to come down emotionally after the victory against Spain. I hope we'll have Behrami back next week. But Gelson is in good shape and so would be the 18y old Shaqiri on the right side. He is similar to Valdivia somehow :rolleyes: Frei is more important to be with the team, but he doesn't have to play necessarly. We could play with Yakin in his role. Hope tough Frei will be fit for Honduras.

Btw, I'm wondering about Beauséjour. I remember him and Valdivia from their time at Servette Geneva, but Beauséjour was much less visible than Valdivia at that time. How has Beauséjour been doing over the last few years since he left Servette?

19. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK

Here we go indeed! Complex scenario now...

We won, yes, but only by one goal.

And so did you guys...so our worst scenario has occurred. You guys will patiently wait for the counter and will be very dangerous to play against. I feel Chile will have to score in the first 45min or else it might get very nasty for us.

As for Beauséjour, he has evolved into quite a player...his work rate is amongst the best in the team and so is his aerial game. Does a lot of work both in offense and defense. He lacks the finishing touch though. His goal was more accidental than anything, still, I'm very happy for him.

We should have our strikers back against you guys though. We had to improvise Valdivia as a striker for the match against Honduras.

Ideally I would want to beat you guys by more than one goal...but your defense is tight, so I can only hope we score first so then you guys might risk a bit and leave some space for counters.

A draw would be useful for both...but I don't fancy our chances against Spain...our style plays to their strengths...

20. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland

normally yes, but if everybody reminds you of that, your players might keep this somewhere in their head... anyway, Spain will probably need a victory in the third match, so they will have to make the game. But they always do anyway. So, you have a good chance.

I don't think Hitzfeld will play for counter... We're not as strong on counter usually, so he will prefer to keep the game away from our area. Although, against Spain this was quite impossible. Tough, he won't play too much pressing, either. Anyway, the team needs to be very awake from the beginning, otherwise you might win it. The first half will show the way

21. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK

I agree...I think the first 45 minutes will tell us how the game will unfold.

I hope you are right and we might take something from Spain...I wish to avoid Brazil at all costs, we are their favorite client. I think the Switzerland defense could annoy them and maybe take them to penalties if they play like they did against Spain.

22. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US

Brazil would beat Switzerland, no question about it.

23. zasal911

zasal911 Member

Sep 1, 2000

in the 18 wcq games we only tied 3...

in Uruguay 2-2, against Uruguay 0-0 --> both these games had lots of scoring chances that could have tilted it either way (for Chile in Montevideo, for Uruguay in Santiago)

and against Venezuela we tied, where we didn't win primarily because of bad refereeing and the Venezuelan goal turning into the great wall of china

in Bielsa's system the plan is always to win....we take risks to win and if it doesn't work its common for us to lose as a result
    ==========

Beausejor for most people was a decent player that had a lot of potential he didn't live up to.

then he had a breakout season at O'higgins, and he became part of the B/C squad for the NT...Bielsa sort of demanded more physical commitment from him and turned him into a monster that eats up the left flank not only offensively but defensively

he then went on to AMERICA, one of the big 2 in Mexico, where he had a difficult time settling in...but is now a key player and a star in mexico

he has been important for us. his finishing and crossing is not where it should be most of the time, but he does go forward with danger often enough.

he's on the starting line up because of what he offers coming back...when he plays our left flank is always safe, the rival backs never come up freely....

Ask me about VALDIVIA

24. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland

I wouldn't mind Brazil vs Switzerland. We won twice against Brazil in friendlies in 1989 and 2006. Their style quite suits us. Both games ended 1-0... This year, our U-17 who was the first swiss football team to become world champions won 1-0 against Brazil (in Nigeria)

On the other hand, we always look bad against Portugal although they always struggle to score. In both cases, I would wish the winning team good luck as I have lots of relations in Portugal and Brazil.

But first things first. We first have to qualify. Two points would be sufficient for us, three points may be not in a 6-6-6 situation. We need at least a draw against you guys now to avoid that, although I think you could get a positive result against Spain. And Honduras will be quite tough for Switzerland as we struggle winning these matches...

25. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK

But it would be a lot harder for them than Chile or Spain.