Match 30: Portugal x Korea DPR

Discussion in 'GROUP G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portuga' started by Ombak, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yes, but this is a must-win so how conservative can we play? What CQ needs to do is instruct the midfield properly to cover the full-backs when they go forward. We need the extra man on the wing to create some space for Ronaldo and Simao.

2. Todorov

Todorov New Member

May 22, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Queiroz will screw up big time once again. I can't see us beating NK.

3. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Really?! You CAN'T see Portugal beating North Korea? Why must soccer fans be so melodramatic....?

4. Todorov

Todorov New Member

May 22, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'm not being melodramatic, just realistic.

We have a NT coached by an assistant manager, a man who never won and who never will win anything relevant in his life. A real coach could perhaps get us to play decently; Queiroz can't, not even in his wildest dreams.

5. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    portuga is right. Saying "I could see North Korea beating Portugal" and then describing what it might take is realistic (though arguably pessimistic). Saying you can't see Portugal beating North Korea is just melodramatic and probably not even true.

6. Todorov

Todorov New Member

May 22, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The reason why I can't see us beating the Koreans is because we don't have a decent coach. I've seen this movie before.

I could also add that there's some tension within the team that certainly doesn't help our cause but that tension exists simply because the coach is lousy and can't impose discipline and demand respect from his players (like Deco). All in all, it boils down to Queiroz.

7. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Do or die for Portugal. Time to put up or shut up!

8. Todorov

Todorov New Member

May 22, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    True.

9. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shouldn't there be a poll at the start of this thread?

How many of you realistically think North Korea can beat Portugal? I think that's only slightly unlikely BUT a tie is much more possible and probably what I would predict.

10. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We are now in 1966 mode, a win is inevitable:D

11. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And North Korea is in full upset mode so a win is inevitable. :p

12. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I bet queiroz will use his fabled 4-4-2 diamond midfield lineup with no strikers from now on:rolleyes:

-----------Eduardo------------
    -----Carvalho----Alves--------
    Miguel-----------------Coentrao
    ----------Pepe------------------
    ---Meireles-----Simao-----------
    ---------Deco-----------------
    ----Ronaldo---Danny----------

Man look at the substitutes bench, most of the players are so average or crap its not even funny.

Dark times now indeed.

13. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    They'll shit their pants after half time when Eusebio steps onto the field to save Portugal:cool:

14. hbl33

hbl33 Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    [​IMG]

15. Todorov

Todorov New Member

May 22, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Pepe isn't match fit. He shouldn't even be in this WC but I digress.

Our best chance is if Queiroz decides to pair Ronaldo with Danny or Liedson up front. I'd also field Rúben Amorim as right-back instead of Miguel or Paulo Ferreira.

16. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Oh, no! He brought THE TOWEL with him! Kim Jong-il, what must we do?!?

17. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I don't know what to expect from this game. I wasn't convinced that Portugal would win against CIV. But besides they didn't win, the team demonstrated serious flaws that i don't see how they'll be corrected on time to this world cup. Dark times, indeed, for portuguese football.

18. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We lost against Greece in our 2004 opening match. Not only we lost, we seemed to have no creativity and Scolari looked completely unable to change anything due to his stubbornness against not playing the Porto midfield. We went on to play beautifully and reached the final. Yes, it was disappointing to lose the final against Greece again, but this were far from being dark times.

I'm not saying we're going to rock this tournament, but it's a bit early to be so negative. How many teams played poorly in their first match?

19. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That european was different because we had a midfield prepared by Mourinho that was capable of playing automatically. Now, we have Deco in a bad shape, and he is crucial, we have Pepe recovering from an injury, and i don't see anyone capable of doing the number 10 position. Tiago is good but a litle slow. Meireles and Mendes have been doing their job but they are defensive players.

Our only hope is to adapt some players like Danny to that position, or change our tactic radically. And that, usually, don't work. Of course, CIV had a midfield that i don't believe that NK has.

20. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    I think we should forget the playmaker position and play with 2 dynamic midfielders instead. 2 That will bring flexibility in the offensive (supporting the striker and even appearing for crosses) and defensive (to not let the team get caught off guard).

At this point in time, one slow playmaker (Deco and at a lesser extent Tiago) to connect the wingers and striker is incredibly stupid. Leave the DM and 2 CBs behind. Our defense is one of the best in the WC and we can rely on the fast pace of Miguel and Coentrão.

21. blissapps

blissapps New Member

Jun 18, 2010
    After a slow start on the first game, the Portuguese team will certainly be motivated enough to give a great performance!

22. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I still have hope that we will improve our performance and manage to pass the group. But there are certain limitations that i don't believe that will be overcome, that won't allow us to go far.

23. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Portugal also had their best squad assembled since 1966, while on the bench scolari had Mourinhos legends to fall back on, which scolari did. He only started Deco, Carvalho, Maniche, Costinha, Valente together after the loss, even though the press called them to start.

Also no one on the bench currently can match that quality and even those that were on that bench...rui costa, simao, nuno gomes still good etc.

Who can match the quality of Maniche, Costinha, Deco in his prime, Miguel at fullback in his prime...Figo-Ronaldo on the wings.

Face it, this team is a shadow of its Euro 2004 counterpart...lets not forget the Cb of Carvalho-Andrade(preinjury, voted best central defender in Espanha)

I think Queiroz will revert to his 4-4-2 strikerless Diamond as I said before, if not, Danny will be on the bench for Liedson.

24. slb4life

slb4life New Member

May 26, 2004
    toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    --------------Eduardo-------------
    -------Carvalho-----Alves----------
    Amorim-----------------------Coentrao
    ------Mendes------Deco-------------
    Ronaldo-------Danny----------Simao
    -------------Almeida--------------

25. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I wouldn't replace Meireles for Pedro Mendes, and, instead Deco and Danny together, i would chose Tiago as number 8, and Deco or Danny as number 10. As for the right defender, Bruno Amorim seems the only player in a good physical condition, but i don't know how well he play on that position.

Changing to 4-4-2 is a possibility to consider.