Match 30: Portugal x Korea DPR

Discussion in 'GROUP G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portuga' started by Ombak, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Portugal[​IMG] x [​IMG]Korea DPR
    Monday, June 21st 13:30
    Cape Town

Feel free to discuss the match in this pre-match thread. I will add more details to the first post if necessary and encourage everyone to start discussion now that the schedule is set.

Threads are usually closed at 500 posts - so expect new threads closer to the event. Moderators will try to close the thread at a logical transition point and will always provide a link to the most current thread.

2. Tleilaxu

Tleilaxu New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Brisbane
    Club:
    Queensland Roar
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I eagerly await this match.

3. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Portugal will easily kill North Korea 6-0 scoreline here, I guarantee it

4. soccerrule

soccerrule New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Hopefully they get in the field too confident,if that doesnt happen ,along side with the nerveaus we can easily beat Korea ,will say 3-0

5. Utd16

Utd16 Member

May 24, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Would be a interesting match. I can't wait to watch C. Ronaldo tear up the N. Korea defense. I wonder if they even seen that kind of footwork in their life time.

6. helloeveryonelll

helloeveryonelll New Member

May 19, 2010
    Am i the only one that thinks that north Korea won't lose by a margin of more than two goals???

7. pourmood

pourmood Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Nope, I share that thought as well. In fact, I'd be more surprised to see them get demolished 6-0 than to see them win a game 1-0.

8. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    If the Cape Verde match is anything to go by than a 6:0 result looks extremely unlikely, while a draw is much more feasible.

9. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Portugal played it like a training match, and cape verde played like it was their world cup final.

Besides, Portugal have been even worse before, they once tied liechenstein 2-2 in world cup 2006 qualification....then 4 days later smashed Russia 7-1.

Before Euro 2004 they looked in shambles, and ended up playing some great stuff.....

.....then again they dont have the jose mourinho champions league and uefa cup winning backbone to fall back on this time around...

in the end, friendly matches mean shit. We will know what all these teams are made of after the opening matches.

10. Slotback

Slotback Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Highly unlikely that it will be a thrilling repeat of the 5-3 quarterfinal game in 1966.

Portugal 2-1

11. LovingPortugal

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I very much doubt that will happen, North Korea's plans are probably to have all men defending.

12. LovingPortugal

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If Ronaldo scores in the North Korea match as often as he did in the latest matches for Portugal than I will say North Korea has nothing to worry about.

13. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Now since Portugal pretty much could not find a way past Ivory Coast, tying them 0-0, and since North Korea pretty much surprised me by losing to Brazil just barely 2-1, I can see the North Koreans attempting to play defensive game on the Portuguese shutting down Ronaldo, maybe just maybe North Korea can squeeze out a draw against Portugal

14. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Portugal lost against Greece in the similar way and they bounced back. It's just a matter of adjustments and tinkering the line-up. Portugal played out of position and you can tell.

N.Korea have a steady D but they only could contain Brazil for that long. Mistakes will happen.

15. Utd16

Utd16 Member

May 24, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    But I thought you guaranteed a 6-0 win for Portugal :rolleyes:

16. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    I think Portugal will win this on a similar fashion of Brazil if not better (attention: performance highly dependable of our moronic coach). This doesn't say much about our chances of qualifying to the Round of 16 though.

17. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I'm looking forward to watching the North play again. Hell of a performance vs la Selecao.

18. dudedudedude

dudedudedude Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I think the North koreans best chance of a win is against Portugal. You guys were very poor against IC. Also, Ronaldo always gets frustrated against teams that defend very well. The North koreans are going to mark Ronaldo out of the game. Draw is most likely though.

19. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If Queiroz grows a brain....

--------------Eduardo-------------
    -------Carvalho-----Alves----------
    MIGUEL-----------------------Coentrao
    --------PEPE------Deco-------------
    Ronaldo-------Danny----------Simao
    -------------ALMEIDA--------------

Deco controlling things from a deeplaying playmaker position where his lack of pace isnt a deterrent, Danny in his natural position where he thrives injecting pace in midfield, Pepe covering the back 4 and doing defensive duties.

Miguel's pace and skill on the wing pegging opposing players back creating more space for the wingers, strengthening Portugals lethargic wing play vs IC(which was nonexistent for the first time in eons).

Almeida's size and strength against the smaller defenders to tie up the 3 centrebacks NK possess....

Well, the entire portuguese public has their eyes on what sort of performance will be seen now and if Queiroz will make the proper changes.

Portugal has a habit of opening tournaments playing crap, then rebounding, or generally rebounding after dreadful games.

Lost to USA 3-2, beat Poland 4-0

2-2 tie with leichenstein, then thrashed Mostovois/Arshavins Russia 7-1 4 days later.

Opening loss to Greece, the neccesary changes made, and went on a big run(although that squad was infitinatly superior to this one in every single category)

That being said, I just dont see it happening with the coaching and players available imho.

20. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    0-0 written all over it.

21. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    This looks much better. We don't have a worthy playmaker, so it's best to let Danny roam free on Almeida's back. In a way, this would be a 4-4-2.

We have more than enough to win against North Korea. But whatever change is made in this match, will have to stick against Brazil too. We just can't afford too many changes in a short space of time.

22. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    i mean this could very well happen. queiroz definitely has to make some adjustments to the starting line-up for this game. i predict maybe 1-0 for portugal -- but who knows. brazil has shown that they were patient and calm enough to get the result. it took a while, but the result came. key will be whether portugal have similar patience. i'm not quite so sure though. i can easily see a player like ronaldo getting very frustrated as the game progresses.

23. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    The biggest mistake Queiroz could make is throwing too many men forward to try and break the North Korean defense. Their counters are very dangerous, so there has to be good protection against that.

24. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    ^^This. That is why CQ did not want the fullbacks to come forward. Coentrao usually pushes the ball but he was hesitant. It starts with at the wing, zone defense is hard to break but keep it wide and cross the ball. Brazil had a tough time with it as well but they found a way.

25. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    -------------Eduardo---------------
    Miguel--Carvalho--Alves--Coentrao
    ----------Meireles--Deco/Pepe------
    Ronaldo---------------Simao/Duda--
    ---Danny/Liedson---Almeida---------

i can see NK parking the bus and as we always have a hard time getting past, we should play a 4-4-2 and i think Playing Duda in his postion would be a good as he has a craking left foot and he has played well this season in spain.