Match 30 - Portugal x Korea DPR, Post Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portuga' started by condor11, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Nexuus9

Nexuus9 New Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Usually teams hold back on destroying opposition not so much because of mercy but self-interest. It can minimize injuries, rest players, provide less fotage/insight on tactics to opposition and gives the defense/midfield safe practice at killing off a game. I wouldn't say Portugal had malicious intent in not holding back after 4 goals. After the goal drought they had, I'm sure they wanted to keep going to get everyone a little taste of blood. I just feel (as others have noted) that a little mercy might have been in order. Especially if the coaching staff/players get harmed over this result, even if that is none of Portugal's concern.

2. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Portugal usually take the pedal off the gas quite easily, its excellent that they played in the German spirit of ruthless professionalism.

3. PTMZ

PTMZ Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Maputo - Mozambique
    Let me say this again: a country that harasses its citizens (who also happened to be football players) for a poor performance has no place in a World Cup. They should be banned from all competitions. I guess the point then is that NK shouldn’t even be in the World Cup to begin with.

4. beghanbeible

beghanbeible New Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Club:
    FC Porto
    lol it's really entertaining to see people complaining about portugal's players attitude.. u're the kind of the annoying people that always has something to complain about. What are u frustrated about?

i don't really know where u're from, but if u knew the game well, u would know that respecting a team is to play serioulsy and always at 100% ALL the 90min. If u at some point of the game, lay back with pitty, that's disrespectful.

Portugal needed the biggest difference possible, in case it ties with IC, is that so hard to understand?

We're not the best cause of this win and we're certainly not the worst, just playing our game and trying to go as far as possible.

5. LovingPortugal

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If North Korea players lives are in danger over playing badly or losing a game then they shouldn't be in this competition at all. It is not fair for the the other teams having to worry about North Korea's players safety.
    So what happens if in the next World Cup we are told that North Korea's players lives will be in danger if they let in any goals at all?

6. LovingPortugal

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well said, why can't we enjoy scoring this many goals? It's not like it happens that often for us, especially not in the World Cup! :p

7. samaiel

samaiel New Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    10-0 is a way of expressing my feelings regarding our national team. The problem is always the same as we always come very close but never make it. Remember Euro 2004 ??? and WC 2002, when we only needed to get a draw against South Korea to move forward the group stage and we lost the game. I always very skeptical about Portugal... I tired of getting my hopes up and then having my heart crush.

8. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Why is anyone even questioning Portugal's 7-0? Pathetic.

9. Todorov

Todorov New Member

May 22, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

10. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Apparently, Ronaldo gave away his nomination as the best player to Tiago. Well deserved, indeed, and a pretty move by Ronaldo.

11. Nexuus9

Nexuus9 New Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Not criticizing or questioning the result. You are right that if something happens N.K. should not have taken part in the World Cup. But here they are. Their players played great imo and have shown great spirit and sportsmanship. Just hoping nothing happens to them, thats all. If something does happen, it would negatively impact the competition and possibly Portuguese players (even though it was not their fault at all.)

12. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do find it extremely disturbing that DPRK has been allowed into the World Cup. However, since FIFA has made the decision to let them compete, they are ones who will have blood on their hands, not the players on the teams they play.

Teams should come to the World Cup to play to win -- and score as many goals as possible, since goals figure so prominently into the tiebreaker scheme.

My .02

13. LovingPortugal

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Totally agree. It is extremely unfair on the other teams, they should only have to worry about winning the World Cup not about what happens to other players once they go back home. If North Korean players are really in danger than I seriously hope, for their own sake, that they are not allowed to compete any more.

14. nw

nw Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Re: Match 30 - Portugal x Korea DPR, in game PBP thread.

I got an idea, let's start giving out participation ribbons. Also, teams are required to score own goals when leading by more than one goal.

Seriously, I can see your point if this were single match knockout; but in group play where goal difference is the first tie breaker? You bet your a** Portugal should try to score as many as they can (and IC should do the same)

15. xyz1000

xyz1000 Member

Jan 8, 2003
    When I posted in the Brazil v. NK post match thread that after Brazil scored 2 they eased off the scoring machine out of a sense of respect, not because they wanted to score more, everybody disagreed. There was the good NK defense, blah, blah blah. My point was that Brazil was just toying with NK. Now here is a game where scoring as many goals as possible matters to advancement and Portugal does it. It kinda feels good to say.....

I told you so!

Looking back perhaps I should've chosen my words differently. I should have said Brazil eased off from scoring more out of diplomacy. For Portugal and IC, diplomacy has to go out the window. It happened with Portugal. It's also going to happen with IC.

16. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Granted, goal difference is irrelevant to Brazil but that's only because we beat the Ivory Coast. In our first game, even though we were favored against IC and Portugal, goal difference mattered.

If anything we laid off out of a sense of finally being in control of a match that we had controlled tactically all night but where goals were difficult to come by. Yes, Portugal and Ivory Coast need to beat up on NK (and it's likely now IC won't be able to catch up) but Brazil probably needed to as well.

17. Kebbie Gazauzkas

FC Krasnodar
    Bulgaria
    Mar 29, 2007
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Bulgaria
    Wow, very surprising result, but congratulations to Portugal and kudos to the North Koreans for the clean game.

I wouldn't blame Portugal for trying to score as many as possible; in addition to ensuring their progression, individual players like Ronaldo may have wanted to hit the net in order to boost their chances of winning the golden boot.

I sincerely hope that the North Koreans are not treated badly by the authorities, but unfortunately there is not much that other teams could do in order to help them out - e.g. even a 4:0 scoreline may be considered as the equivalent of a "national disgrace" by the dictator.

Btw, if I am not mistaken, Zaire were given an ultimatum by Mobutu Sese Seko not to lose by more than three goals against Brazil (World Cup 1972).

18. GILSAN

GILSAN New Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Madeira
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Because your point is ridiculous, pathetic, makes no sense and shows a massive lack of Knowledge and pure stuborness :confused: from your part to admit that what you are defending goes against everything that the "beautiful game" is all about, which has one main objective .... SCORE GOALS!!!!

Damn, is that so dificult to understand? :( Actually I was hoping for another one or two goals, not the other way round.

Nobody in his right mind feels sorry for his opponent in a major competition. You obviously won't admit you're wrong, but the more you fight it, the more ridiculous you look.

19. fairplay1

fairplay1 Member

May 3, 2005

Wasn't that bold player in the middle Britney?

20. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although I always thought it would be great to be a professional footballer and play in a world cup - I don't think I'd want to be in the shoes of the North Korean goalkeeper right now... :eek:

I just hope they can salvage some pride against Ivory Coast as it's been a magical trip for them to even make the world cup in the first place. With that said, I can't really fault Portugal for running up the scoreline as should they lose to Brazil in their last game, Ivory Coast could leapfrog over them so not really much they could do but score, score and score as much as they could.... great for the neutral fan but I really do feel for the North Korean team right now.

21. OrlandoEngelaar

Jul 19, 2008
    CA
    This is the Portugal expected on paper, complete exhibition by them and huge dose of reality for North Korea after their fine performance against Brazil.

22. Naykd

Naykd New Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand

You don't really know much about their country do you?

23. sumo 100 per cent

sumo 100 per cent New Member

Jul 2, 2004
    brooklyn, ny

That's exactly what I was thinking! North Korean would have felt even more depressed if they were treated like bunch of amateurs. In fact, Portuguese side may have felt a bit worried prior to this match when they saw K DPR's play vs Brazil. So, Portuguese played their best, and also made their motivation and team's mood better to prep for Fri's group final vs Brazil. Portugal team (& Portuguese fans too) is known to be almost always pessimistic, and worried. They definitely needed bunch of players to score (esp. Ronaldo who created so many opportunities for others but couldn't score himself for so long!) It wasn't by a few star players doing hattricks, but many different players scored goals. (6 players for 7 goals.) It was not unnecessary & excessive play, but definitely needed pre-vs. Brazil game.

24. PTMZ

PTMZ Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Maputo - Mozambique

Not more than you. But then again, not less either. Being probably the most secretive country in the World, can anyone really know what’s going on in North Korea?

My opinion is based on a very simple fact: these same players have lost before and they’re still here. They haven’t been killed or sent to spend life in prison, have they?

25. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Biggest defeat in
    history of The Democratic People's Republic of Korea national football team