Match 30 - Portugal x Korea DPR, Post Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portuga' started by condor11, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Todorov

Todorov New Member

May 22, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I did say that he played well today. That involves more than just "jumping around."

Good for him. Since Quim is returning to Braga, Eduardo is likely to leave.

2. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    So be honest, did you really want Argentina to stop after they scored the 6th goal on Serbia at the last WC?

3. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    To be honest, Korea simply quit trying to defend after the second goal... they didnt quit against Brazil, they still trying to closing the gap inside their box later in the game but this time the Korean penalty box looks so huge...

all Portugal goals were scored in same pattern, it came from simple passing move which team like Brazil would have no trouble to deal with, that header goal is the proof, they simply quit defending.

but big scoreline is always awesome for neutral:D

4. Tavares

Tavares Member

Jun 18, 2005
    Montreal/Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I cant believe that people are complaining that Portugal scored too many goals. Lets say they stopped at 4, then the GD between them and IC would be 6, so IC would have to win 6-0! right?.. wrong. If Portugal lost to Brazil by, I dont know let's say 4 goals (6-2 for concreteness) then IC would need only to win 2-0, hardly impossible.

Now imagine you're the coach of Portugal and you showed "mercy". Everyone praises your fair play and sportsmanship. Then, the above scenario comes to pass. All of a sudden you through away your team's world cup in order to please some people... basically you didn't do your job! To make matters worse those same people who were praising you are now calling you an idiot.

If Portugal had clinched a spot in the final 16 with a win, then I'd agree with those saying they played unsportsmanlike.... but that isn't the case.

5. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Argentina stopped attacking as if their life depended on it after a while. They passed the ball around with Riquelme maintaining possesion. I dont understand how my point continues to be missed... See below:

6. PTMZ

PTMZ Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Maputo - Mozambique
    This is such a nonsense that I won’t loose anymore time over it. Accusing a team of “lack of mercy” in a World Cup game is just beyond my ability to understand.

7. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They stopped attacking against Serbia?

8. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    exactly, if I support Portugal I would have want them to score 10+
    Germany vs Saudi Arabia and Argentina vs Serbia was entertaning too

trust me, people who's not really into football and only watch it during world cup period, they love to see this kind of scoreline

9. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    What is wrong with your argument is saying that Portugal played for their lifes after 5-0. The NK gave us space and we took advantage. If i was a player, i would never give up, in normal circunstances. That kind of thought would never occur to me, specially when we still have to play against Brasil. This is the World Cup, the greatest football event in the world. Every team has to play for victory the entire game, or else that will be costly.

Imagine Germany playing against NK, with their super mentallity.

10. Ze Pereira

Ze Pereira Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Adelaide, SA
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Because it is a competition and both teams have fought hard for the right to compete, Korea have earned the right to be treated as genuine opponents for the full duration of a game not just part of it.

11. Simmer

Simmer Member

Feyenoord
    Netherlands
    Oct 23, 2009
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Portugal did well and should have scored more. No mercy... the whole world want to see goals and we got them today. North Korea can be proud vs their result against Brazil but it's clear from now on that they are definitely the worst team in this World Cup.

12. Tavares

Tavares Member

Jun 18, 2005
    Montreal/Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Read my whole post. I am not only referring to the number of goals scored but even to the intensity of play. Extra goals helps Portugal qualify therefore they should do their best to maximize this outcome. If they were in Brazil's position yesterday, and a win was enough to qualify, I would agree that playing that intense would be uncalled for.

13. LovingPortugal

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Because they could and obviously wanted to.
    I really fail to see why Portugal should have mercy on North Korea, especially when before the game hardly anyone believed Portugal could get past NK's defence. Portugal has been criticised a lot so good on them for enjoying every single goal they could score and for once silence the haters.

14. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Towards the end of that match Argentina just passed the ball in the midfield with Riquelme, a master of possesion, playing around. If I recall most players weren't attacking the Serbian defense looking for another goal with a minute left in the match.

15. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    oh I agree on that last few mins part but if you look at the match as a whole, they didnt stop... they already lead 3-0 before Messi & Tevez came in second half and another 3 were scored. Fielded 2 new forwards in second half was not a sign of defending.

16. samaiel

samaiel New Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I not getting my hopes up, at least not yet.... As far i'm concern, we're going to loose against Brazil and CIV is going to win NK by 10-0. Winning 7-0 against NK means nothing, although the goals diference will be a must in this group, NK doesnt have a team ready for a WC and that was very clear today. Will alone is not enough...

17. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Eduardo has been one of the best keepers this WC granted he has not done very much but he has not spilled one yet that I can remember, fast becoming our best keeper in ages like Julio is for Brazil (stop troll patrol not saying he is as good as Julio.)

18. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ivory will win, they play at home soil and they will try to get one win at the very least but 10-0? it's nonsense, not entirely impossible but its like France winning this tournament. Drogba wasnt fully fit in first match but he looks dangerous in last 15 mins against Brazil, I expect him to score a brace but 10 goals, I dont know how they will do that... Portugal did the right thing today.

19. PTMZ

PTMZ Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Maputo - Mozambique
    From a purely statically point of view, Eduardo is the best keeper of the tournament: 0 goals conceded.

20. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    So you think the 8-0 would have made a difference?

That's all that needs to be said instead of making all these other excuses. And you can't get mad if people see that with a different light.

I never mentioned defending. And I'm not saying Portugal should have stopped attacking after being up 3-0.

I'm stopping since a lot of people seem to be taking my point as a big insult on Portugal or something which isn't my intention.

21. LovingPortugal

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I doubt Ivory Coast will beat them by 10-0, if anything I think North Korea will go back to playing as they did against Brazil.
    Portugal has their toughest game on Friday vs Brazil, I don't know whether we will win or lose but I sure as hell hope we play as good as we did today.

22. PTMZ

PTMZ Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Maputo - Mozambique
    I’m sorry, but this seems to be the nonsense thread: badmouthing Portugal for lack or mercy and seriously considering that IC can pull a 10-0 over NK is just too much silliness for a single thread.

23. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    well, Brazil is Brazil and they dont play for a draw
    Ivory will not score 10, but if they could get 2 early goals then I could see Korea will falling apart once again. 6-0 is wishfull thinking, 10-0 ... I think it only happen once in the entire world cup history.

24. Pike

Pike Member

Arsenal | Hertha Berlin | Brest 29
    United States
    Jun 3, 2000
    New Orleans Born | Shanghai
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Match 30 - Portugal x Korea DPR, in game PBP thread.

10 ???

Portugal +7
    CIV -2

Portugal must lose, so they will have to have +6 (1-0)
    GD- 8
    CIV needs to score 8 (assuming Brazil- Portugal ends 1-0)
    This will give:
    GF- 9
    GA- 3
    GD- 6
    This will give CIV the adv. in Goals scored and 2nd place.

Of course, this is all after the fact isn't it. You are arguing it wasn't necessary to score 7. Let's say they won 4-0. After 1-0 loss GD- 3 (CIV would need to score 6.

Heck, this is giving me a headache.... Portugal should play it safe and score as often as possible. PERIOD

25. ajaxpsv

ajaxpsv New Member

Nov 8, 2004
    L.A.
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I asked my Portugal friend who would he prefer to play in 16.
    Spain, 'No because of history', Swiss, 'No,because they beat Portugal in WCQ group and they won the group'. Chile, 'No,they are playing well' I said that only leaves Honduras. He said, 'Yes them'! :D