Match 3 Argentina vs. Nigeria: Pre-match / In-match discussion

Discussion in 'GROUP B: Argentina, Nigeria, South Korea, Greece' started by Moishe, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Argentina vs. Nigeria

June 12th 2010 9:00am
    Venue: Ellis Park Stadium Johannesburg

Feel free to discuss the match in this pre-match thread. We will add more details to the first post if necessary and encourage everyone to start discussion now that the schedule is set.

Threads are usually closed at 500 posts - so expect new threads closer to the event. Moderators will try to close the thread at a logical transition point and will always provide a link to the most current thread.

2. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Re: Match 3 Argentina vs. Nigeria: Pre-match discussion

What an awesome opening match! Two talented teams that have been underachieving during qualifiers due to a large extent to coaching issues.

Whoever wins this match is probably in the second round and most likely will win the group. Whoever loses will probably have to win the other two matches in order to get through. It's going to be very tough, and I can see the local crowd getting behind Nigeria.

But hey, we had tough matches against Nigeria in the past and we won them, hopefully history will repeat itself.

Argentina 2 Nigeria 1.

3. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006

We seem to have a habit of meeting in international tournaments. Twice in WC's , twice in the olympics, and once in the u20. The recent U20 and olympic meetings will have a large number of players who will see each other in this match. The Nigerians will be out for revenge. These are the players who faced each other recently in the U20 and olympics who may probably be against each other again.

Mascherano, Aguero, Messi, Di Maria, Gago, Monzon, Garay, Lavezzi

Obasi, Mikel, Odemwingie, Adeleye, Apam, Taiwo, Obinna, Ajilore

Argentina has owned us, but we had the one olympic victory in 1996, our guys will be very motivated for this game, I can't wait.

4. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana

What an opening group match for this group, as I will stick around to watch this game as I am from Ghana and I support all African teams in this 2010 FIFA World Cup, and Nigeria is no exception because I love the way The Super Eagles handle themselves against the big teams, and lest we forget what happened in Korea/Japan 2002 the last time these 2 teams faced off in a group stage match. Argentina beat Nigeria 1-0, barely beating Nigeria I might add, but I think the score will be different this time around, and that The Super Eagles will either tie with Argentina or beat them since Nigeria will be playing on their own continent

5. SoccerMomof2

SoccerMomof2 Member

Chelsea
    Nigeria
    Feb 23, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria

Yes this is a great opener for the group! I agree that whoever wins this will probably win the group. I am rooting for Nigeria.. I was at Atlanta 96 for the Olympics game and it was one for the archives! Go green eagles!!

6. ronaldo99

ronaldo99 Member

Jul 21, 2008

I remember they played eachother in the first group game of 2002, Argentina was clearly superior in that one. Maradona's Argentina is completely different though, much more defensive. He's basically already announced his lineup.

7. Asalieri

Asalieri Member+

Jun 29, 2004
    Mesa, Arizona
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

This is pretty much the crunch game for this group. I do believe whoever wins this match will end up as the group's leader.

That said, both teams have been shaky up until now, and I think they're both going out there with something to prove. Should be a brawl, and fun to watch.

I'm hoping for that 2-1 for us, but nothing's written, of course, until it's over.

Good luck, Nigerians, This will be a good match!

8. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006

I don't expect Nigeria to win, but that Nigeria team in 2002 was a team in crisis and much worse than in 1994 or 1998. I also think it was worse than the current team. Basically in 2002 it was Okocha trying to win the game by himself, because he didn't seem to have anyone to work with.

9. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo

Posssible formation for Argentina in this match:

---------------Romero
    ------Demi---Samuel---Heinze
    -Jonas-Mascherano-Veron-DiMaria
    ----------------Messi
    --------Tevez---------Higuain

Maradona tried this out today. Its the first 11 player formation he's used since training began in SA.

10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Ole was reporting that Nigeria's coach is unhappy with Martins, and he probably lost his starting job. They were speculating about Yak and Victor Obinna (from Malaga) being the starting forwards.

So, if the news about Martins is true, and with Mikel out, what would Nigeria's starting eleven look like? Is this about right?

...............Enyeama
    ?????......Yobo....Nwaneri....Taiwo
    ............Etuhu.....?????
    Obasi...............................Odemwingie
    .............Obina...Yakubu

I'm not sure about the right back or about who'd replace Mikel.

11. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Offensively that looks like an exciting line-up but I'm still worrying about how we will respond to counters, especially with a dedicated back line of three. I can see this working if Mascherano has the discipline to really stay back and essentially play as a libero. Honestly I don't care what we play as long as we bring the Cup home!

12. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF

Odemwingie and Taiwo can play on the other wing also, and Taiwo is natural to the right IIRC (OM).

Individually, Nigeria defenders and dms are solid. How they will cope with one another is unknown, but it's pointless to bet money on our opponents' under-performances.

This is an easy draw, with 5 defenders plus Veron.
    With almost 5 players dedicated to attack, there's still a good chance to get 3 points. Personally I see no reason to risk it and going particularly offensively in this match.

13. Asalieri

Asalieri Member+

Jun 29, 2004
    Mesa, Arizona
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Somehow I see a tight, defensive match happening on both sides here.

I don't believe we've ever tied at championship stages, and I don't think that will happen this time, either.

14. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006

You are totally off.

First off: Nwaneri I believe didn't even make the final 23. I think the defensive duo will be 2 of the 3: Afolabi, Adeleye or Yobo.

Second: Nigeria will probably play with Kaita ahead of Etuhu.

Third: The key player in midfield under Lagerback will be Lukman Haruna of Monaco.

Fourth: I find it highly unlikely for Obinna, Odemwingie and Obasi to be on the field at once. There will probably be another defensive midfielder in the mix or possibly someone like Kalu Uche.

TO SUM IT UP: Afolabi and Haruna look to be definite starters and key players under Lagerback.

15. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF

If they play Kalu Uche, they probably won't play Lukman Haruna. The two are similar, maybe Kalu Uche positions a little more forward. Lukman Haruna is probably more useful overall, but he's still very young, and traditionally Nigeria doesn't play an enganche. They play mostly one or two waists and pivot around the fullbacks.
    If they do play the two together, they're not going to have two defensive midfielders. And between Kaita and Etuhu, later is bigger and has a larger coverage, and better alone.

16. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

These are the starters for their friendly against North Korea:

............Enyeama
    Shittu...Yobo...Odiah...Taiwo
    ......Etuhu........Kaita
    ............Haruna
    Odemwingie..Yakubu..Obinna

I might have the exact positioning wrong, but it seems like a an agressive 4-3-3 formation. I wonder if they'll play this way against Argentina.

Yak scored and it's 1-0 Nigeria so far, still in the first half.

17. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006

We do not look very good at all. Many players just seem so lazy, hopefully they are not trying.

18. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo

Well Jonas and DiMaria both have incredible stamina and both will run their asses off up and down those flanks so I'm not too worried about the defensive aspect. Plus as you say Mascherano covers plenty of grounf.

19. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006

Wow we look shockingly bad

Argentina 4 Nigeria 1

I still think we should be good enough to scrape through to the second round.

20. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006

I would be surprised if Shittu and Yobo start in defence (Odiah is the probable first choice RB) - Afolabi and Adeleye are much better defenders and would hope at least one of them to start. I would have to say that the lineup is probably very close to the starting XI for Argentina. Kaita and Haruna are two players Lagerback has been raving about. Possible changes would be Obasi instead of Obinna.

As to the Kalu Uche - Lukman Haruna issue: If Haruna is played closer to the defence line (as a box-to-box midfielder) Kalu Uche would be up-front.

Didn't watch the game, but well... the result is definitely good.

21. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

How big is the loss of Mikel?

I really like him as a player, such a shame it happened:(

22. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006

It is definitely a loss... that said Mikel is probably Nigeria's most known player, but not the best. Also his role for Nigeria is just so different to that in Chelsea that he has issues adjusting. Nigeria would probably be better with him, but it's not anywhere near the echelon of the Essien, Ballack or Robben loss.

23. ratheesh7k

ratheesh7k Member

Feb 18, 2010
    India
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Any line up with this dude in pitch doesn't inspire confidence in me.. This comes from a RM fan....

24. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I'd say most of us would agree but what's done is done and at least no questions exist about his commitment to the shirt.

25. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006

It is a HUGE loss, he is the one that holds our midfield together, he also has very good vision and an eye for defence splitting passes, He is very hard to disposess and his technique on the ball is excellent we don't really have a guy to replace him. Put it this way with the personell we have I'd say Mikel is the one guy I would not want to lose. I disagree Maruti Mikel is a bigger loss to Nigeria than Ballack to Germany.