Match 29: Brazil x Cote d'Ivoire

Discussion in 'GROUP G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portuga' started by Ombak, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    A draw here would put the 3 main contenders (assuming Portugal wins against North Korea) in a funny situation.

2. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    agreed. despite brazil carelessly giving up the goal at the end, the advantage over the other two favorites here is that they scored 2 goals, whereas both ivory coast and portugal managed a scoreless draw.

3. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    I wonder if there isn't a little more hope in Ivory Coast after today's results. If the Swiss or Chileans top that group and Brazil wins this group, then the path is clear of what one would call very difficult teams until at least the semifinal and possibly beyond for whoever finishes second in Group G.

4. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Yes, but the x-factor in the equation is how much Portugal or CIV has figured out by watching Brazil open against N. Korea. Remember that noone knew much about them. Now they do. If it comes to it will N. Korea be able to give the other two as much of a fight? Or has their element of surprise been broken?

5. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Carlos Queiroz would not learn anything even if you drew him a detailed flow chart about what he needs to do against N.Korea. :(

6. Brazilian Lover

Brazilian Lover New Member

May 11, 2010
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo

ahahhahha I had to laugh...

7. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    To be fair, if someone could do that, then he wouldn't need to. :D

8. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    I will say this, going into the game I like Erikkson, but someone made a point that no team has won a World Cup with a foriegn manager. Perhaps African teams must go away from the European and South Americans and give African coaches a try. Play to our strengths. Granted, CIV has better defenders in Eboue and Toure than most African countries have in the past, we are still not comfortable in a defensive posture. CIV seems to have adapted to it the best of all of them and that's a credit to the calibre of player that they have, and they've been playing in Europe all of their lives. Who knows what's right. CIV and Ghana look to be our Obi Wans in this tourny.

9. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006
    If Ivory Coast ever lead Brazil in this match, expect the Rivaldo moments.

10. Sranang

Sranang Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Suriname
    This is going to be Brazil's toughest match in the group. I expect CIV to go for a draw so that they can take their chances with KOR.

If Brazil score first it will be open and more goals will come. If CIV score first it will be a long drawn out "chess match"

Personally I don't have a good read on this Brazilian team yet. They trounced Portugal 6 - 2, struggled against USA & Egypt.

One thing is for sure, they do have the fighting spirit unlike the 2006, big name edition.

11. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The best result I think for Portugal is a Brazil win but would love Portugal/IC going through. 'Realistically' the odds on for a IC win is lower than a draw or loss. IC would before the game I think will be happy with a draw (looking to beat N.K. just) and hope that Portugal lose against Brazil even if they beat N.K. which would mean Brazil/IC go through. Portugal/Brazil is going to be intense either way.

12. GhanaFan

GhanaFan Red Card

Jun 19, 2010
    I agree Cote d'Ivoire would be happy with a draw. But if they get a draw in the Brazil match than they have almost no interest in the Portugal/Brazil match. Everything is in their own hands - if they win by two goals over North Korea they are through irrespective of what happens in the other game. Of course a Brazil or Portugal win would make life easier for Cote d'Ivoire, but all in all a draw means that Cote d'Ivoire's fate is in their own hands...

13. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I am all for African teams to go through (South Africa are only mathematically in and Cameroon out with Nigeria not looking good, Ghana facing Germany and Algeria not in a good position.) A IC win with a POR win on Monday and IC/POR results on the last day would make my group.:D

14. chuckkf

chuckkf New Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Fort Worth TX USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without Drogba health I can not see Ivory Coast winning or drawing in this match. While I have nothing against Brazil players or their team and Kaka is one of my favorite players I hope Brazil loses do to all of the front runners I see in the States with Brazil shirts. I can understand if you like a certain player who you have lived in Brazil or had realtives in Brazil or ancestors from Brazil or Portugal but most of the people I see with Brazil shirts on if you asked them about Brazil they probably would not know how large the country, some probably would not know who Pele is and probably think the main language is Spanish.

15. GhanaFan

GhanaFan Red Card

Jun 19, 2010
    Not sure how the other African teams fit in to this thread. Am very drunk and haven't slept all night, so I'll keep it short: Nigeria are actually looking PRETTY good to advance. Most likely all they need is a win over South Korea. I would say they are actually in a better position than every African team except for Ghana.

16. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    You kind of remind me of Holland fans yesterday who thought they would run over Japan...SK will definitely put up a fight (I actually think they are favorites in the matchup.)

Can't wait for the CIV-Brasil match. I expect a draw and some entertaining football.

17. ajaxpsv

ajaxpsv New Member

Nov 8, 2004
    L.A.
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This should be a good game to watch. CIV to me, has been the best Africian team in this WC.

18. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    dont think there's really any player on this team who remotely has the same attitude as rivaldo.

19. Sranang

Sranang Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Suriname
    Some nightmare scenario to consider:

Both CIV & Por will benefit if they respectively tie with Barzil and try to beat KOR with a clean sheet. This could see Brazil out of the cup. Mathematically possible. And I suspect both countries would consider a tie with Brazil a good accomplishment.

20. Vasco

Vasco New Member

Jun 8, 2003
    RIO
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Brasil show today they came to play, 3-0

21. nido33

nido33 New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Clear win for Brasil if Cote d'Ivore go full attacking pressing like they did against Portugal .

22. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What do you mean?

A moment like this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzZUoRQ9CFQ"]YouTube- Rivaldo-vs-Belgium-FirstGoal.mpg[/ame]

?

Please do explain.

23. david1023

david1023 New Member

May 28, 2010
    My #2 favorite player ever after R9. Rivaldo was such a joy to watch.

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Considering the records so far for African teams and South American teams, CdI must be feeling some pressure to represent big time for Africa.

They're going to come out firing on all cylinders. A half-asleep Brazil could lose this one.

25. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What does Brazil need to do, besides of course beat everyone 5x0, for people to drop this nonsense idea that they aren't trying or that they don't respect other teams?