Match 29: Brazil x Cote d'Ivoire

Discussion in 'GROUP G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portuga' started by Ombak, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Brazil[​IMG] x [​IMG]Cote d'Ivoire
    Sunday, June 20th 20:30
    Johanessburg

Feel free to discuss the match in this pre-match thread. I will add more details to the first post if necessary and encourage everyone to start discussion now that the schedule is set.

Threads are usually closed at 500 posts - so expect new threads closer to the event. Moderators will try to close the thread at a logical transition point and will always provide a link to the most current thread.

2. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I'm so excited for this game. Kaka, Robinho, Fabiano vs Drogba, Kalou, Keita, Gervinho! Does either team's defense have a chance in this one?

3. zasal911

zasal911 Member

Sep 1, 2000
    yes, Brazil's defense will have more than a chance. They will play a boring ass anti jogo-bonito counterattacking style and will probably be able to shut down CI's attack. the real question is whether Brazil will be able to effectively counterattack and whether CI can catch them off guard on a counter counterattack.

Brazil never let in more than 2 goals during WCQ, a 0.6 goals per game average, and had the best defensive record in conmebol.

4. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Yeah... CI defence is more likely to crumble... they have the capacity up front to cause damage and given a bit of luck they can even win, but Brasil is just too sound a team for the erratic Ivorians, so 4 out of 5 games would be a Brasil win.

5. C.Ronaldo9

C.Ronaldo9 Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Am I the only that thinks Ivory Coast have been screwed here? They play Brazil and Portugal in the first two games which means that they could easily be knocked out. Am I the only that is of the opinion that FIFA have purposely done this so that the "big teams" will go thru?

6. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Well... it seems that Brasil seem favourites, but on the Portugal-Cote d'Ivoire front a lot of people seem to be betting to the Africans... That said Cote d'Ivoire has had bad luck so far... Yeah they have North Korea in the last game, but after the terrible draw in 2006 they get another unlucky draw in 2010... There was basically a 75% for Cote d'Ivoire to get a good draw from pot B, but they just had to get either Portugal or France. Had it been any of the other teams the Ivorians would have been clear favourites (Slovakia, Slovenia, Greece, Denmark, Serbia or Switzerland).

That said I would have to say that chances in the Portugal-Cote d'Ivoire games are 50-50.

7. zasal911

zasal911 Member

Sep 1, 2000
    - i think what FIFA wants most is to see African teams do well

- if anything playing the weakest team last is favorable to playing them second, as there's a good chance that they will go into that game knowing they need a victory and maybe even having an idea as to what goal difference might suffice.

8. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Brazil had a nice defensive record in WCQ but that doesn't always mean it will carry over - remember Serbia had only allowed one goal in their ENTIRE qualifying campaign for 2006 and then they conceded 10 goals in three group matches!

I could see this game playing out like Brazil vs Egypt in the Confederations Cup. An early goal and then both teams just attacking, attacking, attacking the whole time with it finally ending in either a high scoring draw or 1-goal victory for whoever scores last.

9. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I think Cote d'Ivoire could cause the upset of the century by beating Brazil, as Brazil's team has gotten younger, as Brazil are kind of in a rebuilding phase as most of their 2006 squad is no longer there, and replaced with new players coming into the team, while Cote d'Ivoire are a team on the rise, and I think Drogba & co. can beat Brazil, so I see Ivory Coast beating Brazil 3-2

10. FredGavioes

FredGavioes Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Boston/MA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Another easy one, 4-1, counter attack from Brazil will kill Ivory Coast

11. Vasco

Vasco New Member

Jun 8, 2003
    RIO
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    i think this game will set the tone.

brasil 3 ivory coast 1

12. AuriVerde

AuriVerde Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Fortaleza-CE,Brasil
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Brasil 3x0 Ivory Coast

13. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Cote d'Ivoire - Brasil 3:1

14. Tiao_do_Verdao

Tiao_do_Verdao New Member

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Big match at the Venue of the Final (Soccer City)

BRA 2 x 1 ICO

15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I thought you said in another thread here that you thought Brasil were too strong and CIV has serious problems in defense. Is this wishful thinking ???

Brasil 1 x 0 CIV

16. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Just providing counterbalance :)
    I can see Cote d'Ivoire pulling a result (although I don't think it the likeliest outcome), so my prediction was more about showing disregard for disregarding Cote d;Ivoire. I find the likelihood of Cote dIvoire winning much higher than a 3:0 win by Brazil...

17. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    remains to be seen. i can't see ivory coast winning here, but a draw wouldn't shock me. this brazil team is very different from the team that struggled against ghana in 2006. i would think that that old brazil team would struggle against today's ivory coast (or the 2006 team)>

if ivory coast is going to get a draw, honestly, i anticipate it being a high scoring game like 2-2 or 3-3. i just don't see this brazil team suffering from many defensive lapses -- we havent had many in the past year (and if ivory coast opens it up, brazil will react). i also think the way that brazil scores, whether from a counter or set pieces, is largely a result of defensive lapses, and ivory coast with it's poor goalie and average defense is particularly vulnerable.

18. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    leonidas: Since when is Barry a poor goalie? He has been the best goalie in the Belgian league for 3 years running. I'm not saying he is world class or anywhere as good as Cesar, but for some reason there is this myth that Copa is a poor goalie, when he clearly isn't... Where do you get that from? Just out of curiosity?

I agree that there is something about him that makes you assume he isn't too good, but I have yet to see him make any meaninful mistake in the last 2-3 years. He is the most reliable thing in the Cote d'Ivoire's defenisive formations.

19. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Barry is average at best, I too used to think he sucked balls, but the more I watch CIV I realize that its usually the defences fault and not his.

20. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    C'mon - he is AT LEAST AVERAGE. You don't win three Best GK of the League awards in a row being AT BEST AVERAGE (given Belgium isn't the strongest league). He does look cumbersome, but in fact he isn't and rarely fails whenever it matters...

He has some great reflexes, good control of the area, doesn't come out flailing to miss balls and doesn't make glaring errors. Behind Kameni and Gouauauaui (whats his name :)) he is probably the best African keeper at the World Cup.

21. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    im just referring to national team play. he appears to be lethargic and out of position in the games i've seen. maybe poor wasn't the best word. i do admit that i havent seen any belgian league stuff, but he plays for one of the worst teams in the belgian first division and only was not relegated...because of goal differential! (so maybe he was the reason why they werent dropped from an otherwise terrible season) i mean, that in it and of itself means that he's at least average. if he was better, a bigger belgian or dutch team would've purchased him, no?

22. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Barry was linked with top England sides. The fact that he is the best GK in Belgium for 3 years running. WHICH IS A FACT. He has the awards on the shelf to prove it.

He does look lethargic, but his looks are deceiving. I agree his positioning could be better.

23. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Come on Maruti, all 3 of Nigerias keepers are better than Barry, and I mean that seriously no hyperbole. Barry seems to pull off good saves from time to time, but he really struggles on crosses. He does not look confident when crosses come in, of course it doesn't help to have that Bamba guy in defence.

24. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Having Bamba in defence doesn't help. Period.

But seriously I don't agree on Barry. He's getting all this bad press, but I have never seen him let in a bad goal. The problems are in front of the goal, not in the goal itself.

25. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Since Ivory Coast are my country Ghana's next door neighbours geographically, and since they are an African team like my country Ghana, I have to go for them since I love Ivory Coast, and I have all the respect in the world for Ivorians and their national team, and since Ivory Coast tied Portugal 0-0, I can see Ivory Coast tying Brazil 1-1, I'm calling it, it will be a draw 1-1