Match 29: Brazil Cote x d'Ivoire Post Game

Discussion in 'GROUP G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portuga' started by Ombak, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    ----------------------------------------------

Brazil 3 :: 1 Cote d'Ivoire

This thread is neutral and strictly moderated.

Please take strongly partisan discussion to the
    team boards or to the World Rivalry board.

----------------------------------------------
    No Flames - No Trolls
    ----------------------------------------------​

2. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    The worst defending I have seen in the cup so far by IC, very bad ref (what the hell was he doing laughing with Fabiano?), lots of diving by both sides, horrible by Keita even though Kaka had no reason playing his elbow out like that.

3. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    entertaining game.

ending pushing/shoving/bitching almost ruined a fun game. seemed as if keita's sole purpose was to instigate sh!t.

i thought kaka's second yellow was a bit harsh, and keita made a meal out of it. but kaka didn't help himself as he did his fair share of pushing and shoving. but he had no business being out there once it was clear the IC players were going to try and bait the brazilians.

4. Terrain

Terrain Member

Feb 6, 2007
    I really need to blow off some steam. CIV: "Hey, we're getting our asses kicked, so let's respond by physically kicking their asses since we obviously lack the talent to do it with a ball."

You guys are shameless. Again, I hope we won't be seeing CIV in any major tournaments in the future. God damn.

EDIT: Props to Drogba for keeping his cool and trying to calm things down. Your teammates have a lot to learn from you.

5. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I agree. Bad yellow? Maybe. But the worst part of the whole thing was Kaka being stupid enough to get involved in petty stuff and giving Keita an opportunity to dive and get the call in his favor.

Similar to Brazil x Turkey in 2002 - Rivaldo's antics were (and yes to those who see I'm Brazilian I criticized that a lot) his antics were pathetic. Keita's antics, pathetic. Kaka however obviously had a poor game at times, let it get to him and should never have put himself in that position at the end of the game.

6. Asalieri

Asalieri Member+

Jun 29, 2004
    Mesa, Arizona
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What Dr. Know said.

Terrible game, Brazil should be ashamed to be playing like that. Joga Bonito is dead. That said, Ivory Coast deserve to be eliminated along with the rest of the African nations that had so many expectations riding with them.

All of CAF eliminated in Group Stages and all of Conmebol to the next round? If this likely scenario actually happens, they should consider giving conmebol one of CAF's berths.

7. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    I really hope Elano is ok, that was a nasty hit.

8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    What if they allowed fights like in ice hockey?

PS: CONMEBOL deserves to get 4.5 + Brazil next WC finals. Sería justo.

9. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Me too, Elano's our unsung hero. The good news is it's also our deepest position, but I'd rather he keep starting and keep improving.

10. KaNgArOoS

KaNgArOoS Member

Mar 23, 2007
    Goodison Park
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    And Brazil was class? Pleaaaaaaaaaaase. As a neutral, Brazil's diving was shameful, especially from a team like theirs! Fabiano's hand ball, joking with the ref, diving at the end and then laughing when he was pulled up.

Ivory Coast were absolutely terrible. Worst game of the cup so I think, boring, classless, and terrible referee. Nice double standard though.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  11. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if anybody should be losing berths after this world cup it should be UEFA though obviously CAF has been really poor as well.

12. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    Terrible defending from IC. That third goal looked way too easy.

13. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

LOL. Here is one who is easily mislead by Brazilian play acting.

14. kaos1970

kaos1970 Member

May 2, 2008
    Halifax
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hahahaha that's funny. Player touches other player with a toe. Other player jumps backwards 5 feet while spinning in the air as if he'd been shot and rolls for another 10 feet on the ground in apparent agony only to realize he has won the foul. He immediately jumps to his feet from a laying position and takes off like lightning. Damn these guys have a quick recovery time!

15. Dustyvinyl

Dustyvinyl Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Santa Ana,Ca
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Good game.

Either Ivory Coast was horrible at defending but it really looked like Brasil was comfortably playing their soccer. flashy and entertaining.

Drogba's header was class with that great pass.

ithink the Ref did a good job letting plays run on. game was a mixture of diving and rough tackles but he did a good job of balancing it out. KAKa deserved that card for putting up his Elbow in that manner too.

16. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    I disagree. That was Kaka's personal space and he had every right to defend it. I question why Kieta was running that fast towards Kaka. Not saying he was trying something dirty but Kaka had every right to protect his space. Players defend that way all the time. Kieta was acting up a bit but than again so were the Brazilians before.

17. navijacica

navijacica Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Actually a fan hater or neutral should be very strict with the game IC put out after that unfair goal. Lots of dangerous tankles (the one against Elano could easily be red btw), lots of agressive play ... it seemed some players don't play anymore for ball but for injuries.

Keita played like a madman. Although Kaka's move is questionable Keita was running full speed at player that was miles from ball.

18. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Check out an Argentine lecturing about how other teams are playing...

19. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Best Brazilian player along with Maicon so far. Ramires is also a good player but can he have Elano's influence?

Elano's goal was a wow. The defender covering him was standing around looking asleep while a star like Kaka was close to his area. He just stood there as Elano passed by him easily. Amateur stuff almost.

20. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Initial impressions: good, hard fought game where our superior talent and tecnica showed through. We dominated possession, and were never under any real pressure. Again, a stupid defensive lapse cost us a well-earned clean sheet.

Notable players: Luis Fabiano (MOTM) two great goals (the second with the two chapeus deserves a plaque) -- man, am I glad his selecao drought is over. Kaka -- great participation in the 1st and 3rd goals, still regaining form. Undeserved expulsion, but Dunga erred in not subbing him once it became clear we were going to win and CIV switched to Rugby mode. Elano -- great game in midfield, well taken goal; much better than his sub, Alves, who just wasted possession and was significantly worse defensively. Maicon -- another solid game.

Will post further analysis and full player ratings once I'm done with this BBQ and can re-watch the match. Pra frente Brasil!!!

Aside: to the guy claiming that Fabiano wasn't strong enough, and the other one insinuating that we would be play-acting -- enjoy your crow.

21. JogaWestHam

JogaWestHam Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    So long, Ivory Coast. You won't be missed this time around.

22. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    F-ing Argentine. Still pissed about the handball goal, but noone is going make a big fuss about it because Kaka was sent off at the end. The bitch of it is that it only helps Portugal.

23. Asalieri

Asalieri Member+

Jun 29, 2004
    Mesa, Arizona
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Quoted for truth. The only reason people would be defending Brazil is because they are still adhering to the myth that Brazil can do no wrong, and their status as perennial champions makes it so a lot of these casual observers can't see things objectively. Nike's Joga Bonito campaign obviously worked.

Brazil stunk it up today, despite what the result was. Ivory Coast wasn't much better, though. Boring match, terrible ref, just overall terrible, really.

24. Terrain

Terrain Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Like I said, I was blowing off steam, and as such, I wasn't thinking straight. However, I don't recall Brazil trying to physically harm CIV's players. Certainly not in that ABSURD magnitude.

You are correct: Brazil was far from class, on the contrary, they too were shameful. BUT GOD DAMN. I don't recall Brazil trying to injure the CIV's playes to such an extent.

25. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You probably wanted to say... they shouldn't play like that otherwise they're likely to win their 5th WC.

Dunga has brought some "italianity" in the team. That's why they are very dangerous and favorite n. 1 to win it all. Of all the teams they looked to me the most solid and complete.