Match 29: ARG-CAN: MAZA (CHI)

Discussion in 'Copa América 2024 - Referee' started by Beau Dure, Jul 9, 2024.

1. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Referee: Piero Maza (CHI)

Assistant referee N°1: Claudio Urrutia (CHI)

Assistant referee N°2: Jose Retamal (CHI)

Fourth official: Cristian Garay (CHI)

Fifth official: Juan Serrano (CHI)

VAR: Juan Lara (CHI)

AVAR: Edson Cisternas (CHI)

2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if that was an excellent call because he had the right position or a lucky call because he wasn’t sure about interference. Either way, a very correct call from AR1 to allow the goal. Minutes after a very bad call to say a ball was out of play, of course.

Tryamw repped this.
  3. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I really didn't need to see Marsch going ballistic after that call on the line. I guess when parents do that to me, I can tell them they're not Jesse Marsch.

4. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    62/63’ - thoughts?

5. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Certainly a foul at 73'. Not sure if it was inside area.

duality72 and Tryamw repped this.
  6. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Di Maria down for a couple of minutes.

Davies down, treated on the field, goes back in, immediately sits back down. Ensuing substitution window lasts long enough for me to write an epic post in the Guardian commentary.

Another long substitution window.

A goal celebration.

The usual grimacing and groaning after alleged injuries.

A keeper taking forever to put the ball back in play.

Stoppage time: 3:55.

Tryamw, StarTime and duality72 repped this.
  7. SouthRef

SouthRef Member+

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2024-7-9_22-25-6.jpeg

yellow on David for this (31')

Argentine media captioned this “impactando en sus testículos"

This seems pretty bad to me...

Tryamw and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  8. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the game was officiated somewhat... "cowardly" is too strong of a word, so is "biased." But the reality is that when the score was tied, every marginal call went for Argentina. Even the first goal almost certainly had a foul overlooked right before hand. It probably was too far away to be the APP, but it was how Argentina won the ball. Then, once the outcome was more or less certain, suddenly Canada got a few fouls, but it wasn't anything approaching evenhanded. The 62/63 min @MassachusettsRef asked about fits that. A missed call against Canada leads to a foul called against Canada, which leads to frustration and the ball kick. Yellow was probably the right choice of card (the talk here about the MLS no call for throwing the ball notwithstanding), but honestly it was poor officiating that caused that moment. As a side note, could you imagine the irony if Canada gets a red card for that after Paredes' caution for something one million times worse by Laholz? All in all, a very poor performance, but Maza delivered what CONMEBOL wanted, Mesi wasn't hurt, Canada didn't win, Argentina won't complain, so I'm sure CONMEBOL could care less about everything else.

duality72 repped this.
  9. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I was surprised they didn't mention this on the broadcast.

Of course, at times, I wasn't sure I was watching the same game.

10. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're talking about 79'?

The moment I'm talking about is the Eustáquio card for the tackle. It was VERY late and on the back leg. But the contact was so minimal. And the mode of contact ultimately wasn't bad. But that's only because he missed him with the lead leg and then sort of inadvertently got him with the trail leg.

It's an interesting one. It was clear and deliberate SPA. And it had more than a hint of SFP when you watch him go into it. That's what Argentina was arguing--that it was red. Meanwhile Canada was saying he barely or didn't touch him.

I think there is an era you can still get to red because it's so far away from the ball, so late, and ultimately on the back leg. But the mode of contact and lack of any excessive force (or any real force at all) probably takes that option away today. Yellow is the right result, but I think the question was at least worth asking.

jarbitro and Beau Dure repped this.
  11. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bad. I was watching from out of the US, and I'm not sure if we had the same replays the US had. I saw a few replays that made it look like there was no contact on that tackle at all. But I agree in real time it looked bad, but the opposite halfway camera seemed to show very little, if any contact.