Match 28: Italy - New Zealand :: Pre-match Discussion

Discussion in 'GROUP F: Italy, Paraguay, New Zealand, Slovakia' started by CIA, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CIA

CIA Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    Hijos de Acosvinchos
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    [​IMG] vs. [​IMG]

This is the pre-match thread. Please discuss the forthcoming event in this thread. The other mods and I will edit this post/thread and as more match details are revealed.

Also let's remember that threads close at #500 posts.

Date and Time:
    June 20, 2010
    16:00 (UTC+2)

Venue:
    Mbombela Stadium, Nelspruit

2. Tleilaxu

Tleilaxu New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Brisbane
    Club:
    Queensland Roar
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I predict another 4-3 result. Italy winning in the last minute.

3. rizzuto123

rizzuto123 Member

May 3, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I have to agree.

4. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I predict a 4-3 scoreline here too, with the Italians just barely winning this game, like last minute

5. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I disagree. The prior matchup, Italy had a completely different squad and Lippi was testing a GK not even being brought to SA and a few defenders to be absent as well (Gamberini, Legrottaglie, etc.). Once the regulars came in, we whipped up a few goals in no time. I foresee a 2-0 scoreline to Italy.

6. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    ^ I agree......i see a similar game like Ghana. Banging in a couple goals.

7. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If we had OUR BEST UP FRONT, we would destroy them. 1 goal victory if anything.

8. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If there was a game in which Italy screw-up, this could be it. Hopefully they have learned from the 4-3 win (no Amelia at the World Cup) and they don't fall asleep. 3-2 to Italy.

9. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Really? Italy concede two goals against the Kiwis? How you think they will score 2 goals past the likes of Buffon, Chiellini, De Rossi & Co. is beyond me.

10. AllWhitebeliever

AllWhitebeliever Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2006
    On the injury table
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    The thing is, that it will be a better NZ team than the one in the Confederation Cup. The defence is likely more solid with two new players, the midfield may toss a few tidier players in the frame and two new forwards and a different but more organised keeper (the usual keeper is on a ban) It is possible that almost half the starting lineup with changes from the Confederation Cup lineup a year ago as well as having a different formation structure.

I predict a tougher lower scored match, tbh. Both the NZ defence and the forwards are stronger and tougher. Only the NZ midfield have be weak point (but they doing better use with the ball recently), however with the light balls and altitude the ball will travel further and drop pass the midfield on the hop if it wants so more end to end stuff and more even playing ground than first thought. It goes the same for the rest of the tournament.

11. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Complacency on Italy's part. If Italy's reputation of doing enough is going to bite them on the backside, it would be in a game like this. Other big nations would thrash the Kiwis by at least 4-5 goals but Italy isn't that kind of nation. Even though the Kiwis scored three past a weakened Italy last year, do you think a full-strength Azzurri team would thrash them this year? Another question is that how did South Korea score two against Italy in 1986? Even if that Azzurri side was old, they should have brushed the Koreans aside and such a scenario like that 3-2 win could occur this year against the Kiwis.

12. Canadian Azzurri

Nov 14, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think Italy scoring three goals is quite 'outlandish' as well. :(

13. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree. But not being a team to thrash them 4-0 or 5-0 doesnt mean will give up 2 goals. I predict something like 2-0, whch is still a weak margin if you compare the degree of talent and depth between the squads.

14. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Smeltz hat trick. You heard it here first*.

*someone probably said it on yellowfever.co.nz or somewhere but feh.

15. Z Fanatic

Z Fanatic New Member

Jun 6, 2010
    Perkasie, PA
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Italy will win this one easy 3-0 or 3-1.

16. Bruticus

Bruticus Member

May 18, 2009
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Dude seriously? Come on we won't score 3 goals and New Zealand certainly won't put 2 past us.:D

We will start slow no doubt I expect nothing more than a 1-0, 2-0 scoreline, but if we can't win our opening game against opposition like this, Lippi might as well resign now.

17. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Read what I said to DaveyGorgeous.

18. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree with Bruticus. If we give up 2 goals to New Zealand, then we should be giving up 5 goals to other teams we recently played like Mexico, Netherlands, etc. dOr, I know our expectations are low for this Azzurri group but cmon man...

You see this team:

Paston
    Sigmund - Vicelich - Nelson - Lochhead
    Brockie - Elliot - Brown - Bertos
    Smeltz - Killen​

...scoring 2-3 goals against this team:

Buffon
    Maggio - Canna/Bonu - Chiellini - Criscito
    De Rossi - Marchisio
    Cossu - Pirlo/Monto - Di Natale
    Gila/Pazzo​

??

19. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    In reality, they shouldn't. If the Azzurri are on the ball, they should win 1-0 or 2-0 like everyone else has predicted or if Italy actually tried to thrash teams, 5-0 or 6-0 would be possible, even 7-0. I still believe this is one game Italy will screw up because of a lack of mental application.

The Kiwis will be using a 3-4-3 formation, based on what they are using in the friendlies. They have a good job in the friendlies and I believe the Azzurri will underestimate them. I've tipped the Kiwis to score two not because of their skill though. They don't have it. The Kiwis lack skill but the Azzurri have a tendancy to only play at half-pace. Will the Azzurri be half-asleep? Very likely and because of that, I think we will concide. If we were talking about Brazil, Argentina or another big nation, I'd tip a thrashing. Italy doesn't go out to thrash teams and even though it was a weakened Azzurri that won only 4-3 against NZ last year, I doubt the first team could care about dominating them like they should.

I did mention South Korea v Italy from 1986 though so if my prediction for the game against the Kiwis is, I won't be surprised. This South Korean team:

Yeon-Kyo Oh

Kyung-Hoon Park
    Yong-Hwan Chung

Kwang-Rae Cho
    Young-Jeoung Cho
    Soon-Ho Choi
    Joo-Sung Kim
    Jung-Moo Huh

Chang-Seon Park
    Bum-Kun Cha
    Byung-Joo Byun

scored two goals against this team:

--------------- Galli

--------------- Scirea
    Vierchowod --- Collovati --- Cabrini

De Napoli --- Di Gennaro --- Bagni

Conti -------- Altobelli --- Galderisi

It shouldn't have happened but it did. In fact, from the highlights I've seen Altobelli alone should have scored five or six goals!

20. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    NZ are almost certainly going to line up like this:

--------------Paston
    ----Sigmund--Nelsen--Vicelich
    Bertos-----Elliot----------Lochhead
    --------------Brown
    ----Smeltz---Fallon----Killen

The Kiwi gameplan is not subtle but it suits the players to a tee and they're right up for it. As well, Smeltz is a natural finisher - if he's given an inch he can very easily punish the Azzuri.

21. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He also scored against a full-strength Serbian defence and that included the likes of Ivanovic and Vidic. On paper, the Kiwis will be lucky to get a point in this group but Herbert is a shrewd manager IMO and the Kiwis will have nothing to lose. I think Smeltz will get that inch. He shouldn't but I think that because it's a group stage match and it's only NZ, Italy won't be firing on all gears.

22. b4rcelona

b4rcelona Member

May 9, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    This is what i think too, its not like italy wont be trying, i just think the will lack concentration or just underestimate the all whites.

23. Tori Maximus

Tori Maximus Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Europe
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I want to believe we'll win this handily, but who knows. I predict a draw, or we eek out a win. I hope we come out on fire though and beat NZ 3-0. We'll see. Much respect from me for the kiwi's! Smeltz!!

24. rubette

rubette New Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund

I think Smeltz gonna score a goal and crush Italy to pieces. :D

25. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Don't understand why the Italy/Paraguay thread is locked already, but I'm confident that Paraguay will win. 2-1.

As for this game, Italia 5 New Zealand 0.