Match 28 - ENG : ITA - PROENCA (POR)

Discussion in 'Euro 2012: Refereeing' started by code1390, Jun 20, 2012.

1. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    On those close calls on the line, there' sa 50-50 chance its on the "other side" from the AR and he's blocked by body parts of a sprawling goal keeper. Add the AAR and you have both sides covered. I'm sure they've worked out something for who makes the call.
    Gotta do something with them, wouldn't want them all standing in the center circle with the players

2. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw a couple of matches when they first started the trials with the AARs. They were on the opposite side from the AR, but had the CR running an almost reverse diagonal. It looked really odd, and I don't think the players adjusted to the CR being on the opposite side very well. They always seemed to be in the way.

IMO, they should move the AAR to the side opposite the AR, but have the referee maintain the left diagonal. Maybe he wouldn't have to go so deep into the corners, but I think it would be less awkward.

3. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    The first one was ridiculous tbh. Terry got his shirt massively held and the decision is an FK against Terry. :rolleyes:

I know that there is always a decent amount of shirt pulling going on in the PA but what has been allowed throughout this tournament is just astonishing at times.

4. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was the other game I got to attend. Again, hope to write more, but... It was very evident that the AR and AAR are watching two different things. One is there for the goal decision, one is there for goalkeeper movement. Is it overkill? Probably. But you've got 5 bodies... Why not use them and divide labor?

5. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    True, but who has ever seen a GK called for moving too early in KFTM?

6. DudsBro

DudsBro Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Haven't seen it, but I've done it on a couple of occasions, including a University semi-final.

7. oldreferee

oldreferee Member

May 16, 2011
    Tampa
    The part that looked silly to me was the AAR squatting like he was.... well... trying to get a better view, I guess. And the AR standing at attention.

8. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think one of the bloggers (maybe Hong Kong Ref) has it right. The over the top squatting is the AARs trying to show that they are doing something and really really focusing.

9. Eastshire

Eastshire Member+

Apr 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Actually, it's the one thing they do that makes sense. The more stable your eyes are, the better vision you're going to have. "Squatting" gives you a low center of gravity and allows you to put your hands on your legs which stabilizes your torso.

10. oldreferee

oldreferee Member

May 16, 2011
    Tampa
    Why doesn't this kinesiology apply to ARs?

11. Eastshire

Eastshire Member+

Apr 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It does. I certainly practice it when I AR. I wish I had a dollar for every time I've stepped on my flag.

12. oldreferee

oldreferee Member

May 16, 2011
    Tampa
    I'm not talking about you. I'm talking about the AR across from that AAR. If one is squatting, why not the other? It just looks like amateur night.

13. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, lets all remember that the AR position is a very dynamic one. Constant movement to stay even with the second to last defender. I don't see how this squatting position can be of any use. Given the frequency of movement required by the AR.

14. Justin Z

Justin Z Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Club:
    Heart of Midlothian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The point is there's no movement required of the AR when he's standing on the goal line making sure the GK is not leaving his line early.