Match 27: Slovakia - Paraguay Post - Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP F: Italy, Paraguay, New Zealand, Slovakia' started by sidspaceman, Jun 20, 2010.

1. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    ----------------------------------------------

Slovakia - Paraguay

This thread is neutral and strictly moderated.

Please take strongly partisan discussion to the
    team boards or to the World Rivalry board.

----------------------------------------------
    No Flames - No Trolls
    ----------------------------------------------​

2. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slovakia 0:2 Paraguay

Discuss

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I expected more from Slovakia. They had a hard time getting the ball, and had to rely on pushing players for it.

Another thing is the lack of back-up when tackling. Reminded me of the Algeria-Slovenia game (which was high-school level, regardless of the semisynthetic grass): you mark a guy, another guy also marks him, then, instead of one of you taking the ball and the other covering to recover it, both of you go for his legs, the ball bounces out, and another player from their team gets it.

That's a basic skill that some teams seem to lack. In dangerous areas, you don't tackle alone but as a pair, and the second player is supposed to be there to get the bounce. If both go for the marked player's legs at the same time, that's a mistake.

4. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Enrique Vera was an absolute monster, I hope he gets noticed by some European teams.

Funny thing is that Paraguay has a deep strike force but so far none of the goals scored have been by the strikers.

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    People have failed to get the beauty of that 1-1 tie between Paraguay and Italy.

Still, my fave game so far. It was a great tactical battle, but I guess you need to be a football nerd to realy enjoy it.

6. Dan-ny-m398

Dan-ny-m398 Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Long Island NY
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay

I guess that was the Picaso of World cup games so far LOL, I have seen the game twice and I still can't find the beuty in it, I think is the Italy goal that ruins it for me LOL.

7. pinzon

pinzon New Member

Sep 5, 2009
    CONMEBOL 6 wins, 2 draws, 0 losses. GD +11.