Match 26: ITA : WAL - HATEGAN (ROU)

Discussion in 'Euro 2020: Refereeing' started by code1390, Jun 19, 2021.

1. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That was a RC in any match I do. Having said that my first though watching it was “I bet he goes yellow and that’s yellow in the EPL most of the time.” The Italians were not clamoring for it but the Welsh player I think knew it. He immediately turned his back and started to walk away.

2. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After watching it live a few more times, I'm more into the red camp now. I think the force is simply excessive even if the position of the studs is more in the yellow territory.

3. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting dueling yellow cards after an advantage at 79'.

4. USSF REF

USSF REF Guest

Indeed.

Don't see that every day.

5. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the first one of those two (the second shown) by Pessina was actually pretty bad.

6. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Yeah that was a lot to deal with. Have to figure AR gave him the first one, which he was processing while watching the second one happen. Correct and tricky.

7. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Is it me or are very many matches with X minutes' stoppage time ending at (X-1):55? I get refs are not microwave timers, it just seems oddly and frequently early. Nothing-burger that makes me go "hmm."

8. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    Hategan right now is the Ice Cream Man of the tournament: second yellow to Krychowiak in Poland vs Slovakia and now this one.

RefIADad repped this.
  9. USSF REF

USSF REF Guest

The TV clock often doesn't sync with the stadium clock (although at this level, it should) and that often doesn't match exactly with the official's watch. Anything close is good enough.

10. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two red cards in the tournament. Two given by Hategan. Not the greatest feeling in the world I bet. The first yellow in his 2YC was a bit soft, but I think he got conned a bit by the attacker.

El Rayo Californiano repped this.
  11. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I often see the scorebug clocks start several seconds after the ball is put into play. So what's probably happening is the referee is starting his watch, then the kickoff happens, then the scorebug and the clock show up on the screen. So when you add those together, you probably are looking at the official time 3-5 seconds ahead of what we see on TV.

12. SouthRef

SouthRef Member+

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Snapshot

I’m not sure it this adds anything that hasn’t already been said but I feel less bad about this

First impression watching the match with family: Oh no he grabbed the wrong card

the more I saw it the more correct it looked.

Attached Files:

13. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    I mean yeah that all makes sense. Same add-ons would theoretically apply in other competitions.

Why i even mention this is that in those other ones I don't perceive FT happening a few seconds prior to stated added time, rather significant seconds (or more) after.

14. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I’d also add that when we start the watch before the ball is kicked, which is a good idea, we should be aware tha full time is a few seconds after it shows.

Pittsburgh Ref repped this.
  15. allan_park

allan_park Member

May 15, 2000
    Ah, but here is yet another quirk of refereeing at a tournament. As much as that may seem like a reasonable/sensible approach, the ramifications of doing that could be huge, especially at this tournament.

As you know, four of the six 3rd-placed sides will advance, with the method of determining those being well-known; namely points, goal difference, goals scored, number of wins in that order.

But, given that each team only plays three games, the chances of two or more teams having identical records are quite high, and in that case, the next criteria to determine ranking is disciplinary record - the team with the lowest disciplinary points (1 for each yellow, 3 for each red) would advance, so you have to play it "straight" as a Referee, otherwise you could impact who advances, and who does not.

To illustrate the point about how important this might be, you need only look at possible scenarios and you see this could well come into play. For instance, take two highly possible results from MD3 - if Ukraine and Austria draw 0-0 and Croatia beat Scotland 2-1, Austria and Croatia finish third in their respective groups, but their records would be identical in all aspects, so their rankings could only be determined by disciplinary record.

There are currently a few scenarios where this could happen with a certain combination of results - Belgium 1-1 with Finland and Croatia 1-0 creates the same situation with Finland and Croatia - so the integrity of how (in)discipline is managed on MD3 must be maintained as the chances of disciplinary record coming into play is relatively high.

16. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    Memories of Senegal in 2018.

17. allan_park

allan_park Member

May 15, 2000
    Someone PM'd me asking for the citation, so here it is straight from "the book":

Euro2020 Rules of Competition.jpg

El Rayo Californiano repped this.
  18. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    IMO, that's a YC all day long in the Premier League. Equally I don't think that if Hategan goes YC it gets upgraded by VAR.

Having said all that, I believe UEFA want that sort of thing stamped down on in this tournament, so to speak, so can fully understand why Hategan went RC. Just shows the different expectations between different nations/confederations.