Match 26 - GER : GRE - SKOMINA (SVN)

Discussion in 'Euro 2012: Refereeing' started by code1390, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    Very much depends on the emphasis each country puts on the technique and presentation of ARing. In England you'd be hung drawn and quartered for not having the flag pitchside at all times. In Germany it's a bonus if the AR has the flag unfurled during the 90 minutes. Different emphasises.

2. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    And IMO, you'll ALWAYS lose the confidence and respect of the players...at least in higher level matches.

There are shoves, and then there are shoves.

You have to referee in context, IMO.

3. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite true. But there are even "standards" in the US that I've now seen Brit ARs ignore. For example, Mullarkey immediately indicates for a corner kick if the decision is potentially contentious--no matter where he is on the field. So, the other night, I saw him point to the corner flag while he was perpendicular to the penalty spot. In the US, you'd get criticized for that. We are taught to run to the flag first before communicating our decision.

But, practically, it makes sense. Visually, it doesn't. Which is more important?

4. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Visually to whom though? If I wasn't taught by US refs I would think it looks decisive and strong. Since I've been taught by US refs, it just looks like bad mechanics. USSF needs to move away from these sort of things. It's getting to the point now where the only comment I'll get from an assessor as an AR is "You were excellent...stepped on the field a couple times though" and I get marked down. If I get the calls right and look good doing it that should be the main thing. Mechanics are important...but there's important strong mechanics, and just nitpicking BS.

5. Errol V

Errol V Member+

Mar 30, 2011
    You say that getting the calls right and looking good doing that should be the main thing upon which to be assessed. Why do you say that they aren't? You've mentioned that there were comments on mechanics, but not that they were the focal point.

6. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Ok well I don't think I'm the first to comment on how annoying assessors can be with their nitpicking. I had an assessor who once told me I shouldn't have a colored whistle. I was also docked points on my assessment because I stepped on the field a couple times.

7. Errol V

Errol V Member+

Mar 30, 2011
    I will sometimes do entire games moving up and down on the touch line when there is a path worn off the field from everyone else.

8. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Exactly! Tell those assessors to stop being so rude!

9. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People that are making these types of comments have no business assessing.

Whistle color leading to the docking of assessment points, that is laughable.

There is nothing wrong if you are on the field of play. The only time it's wrong is if you run the risk of interferring with play. I have when play is on the far side of the field cheated several yards onto the field of play to get a better look.

10. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also remember that Hector Vergara posted about the mechanic of running to the corner flag. It amazes me we have this lack of consistency in the application of referee mechanics. Why German AR's are still running Bundesliga matches with the flag on the arm opposite the field is wrong. This is why I am constantly troubled by the USSF's edicts. Are they making this stuff up or is it coming from FIFA.

11. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Halleluah on this points.

Perhaps the assessor pay model works the same as the commentator's one - both groups get paid PER WORD. Gotta write/say SOMETHING or you don't get a check. Make it up as you go if need be.