Post-match: Match 25: Newcastle United v Aston Villa

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by el americano, Feb 17, 2022.

1. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This match was tougher than Everton, but the lads escaped with a 1-0 victory making it 3 consecutive wins and a 4 point lead on 18th place. This is also the highest ranked club we've beaten this year. It was by the barest of margins, as an equalizer was ruled offside after a lengthy VAR review. I'm not sure if they're following their own rules here, because it was barely discernible, not an obvious error. On the other hand, the linesmen seem to not call close margins, leaving it to VAR. So, in many cases they are not really overturning the judgement of the official. Regardless, it was quite fortunate as Krafth had recently come on and was not quite up to speed yet.

I've quite enjoyed entertaining Lampard and Gerrard at St. James'. Let's hope they always have a tough time there.

2. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Just so you know, in England, "obvious error" isn't applied to offside.
    It simply positioning. If you have any body part capable of playing the ball beyond the second last defender, you are considered offside regardless of how much of a difference there is.

As such, AR's are instructed to leave their flag down unless the offside is glaringly obvious.

el americano repped this.
  3. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the last time I believe an Aston Villa forum. ;-)

4. gatotkaca3

gatotkaca3 Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    It's frustrating to see Bruno still only getting less than 10 minutes in each game since we got him.

What is going on?

5. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    According to this, looks like he was seen as a long term investment, not short term as he's having a difficult time adjusting to the English game.

gatotkaca3 repped this.
  6. gatotkaca3

gatotkaca3 Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I guess I understand the rationale of not experimenting with the lineup (which has been solid so far) in winnable games as we're fighting for survival.

Looking at the fixture, March 13 is the first opportunity to unleash him since we're playing Chelsea away, which is most likely a game that we will lose.