Match 25 - CZE : POR - WEBB (ENG)

Discussion in 'Euro 2012: Refereeing' started by code1390, Jun 20, 2012.

1. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Good goal, no controversy, and looks like no overtime either.

2. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. Cann isn't apart of Webb's team any more. Its Mike Mullarkey and Peter Kirkup. Kirkup was replaced for this game with a Dutch AR for a presumed injury.

3. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Ah that's him. Hey he missed one there, Ronaldo looks offside as he jumped the ball, yet it's out for a corner?

4. DudsBro

DudsBro Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Didn't get involved in play, didn't gain an advantage, and then Mullarkey must have decided that he didn't intefere with the goalkeeper.

5. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Maybe a little push but come on Ronaldo you're not gonna get that.

6. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

I realize that, but it doesn't mean it is not a foul.

7. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Yeah I'm saying he's wrong...he is sooo involved with play, the ball goes right under him, it certainly effects the sightlines of Cech.

8. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Does anyone else think Webb runs kinda funny? He's a big guy so that looks weird but mostly his upper body to me just seems like he doesn't know what to do with his arms.

9. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, still adjusting my "advantage on offside" thought process. Would that have been a candidate?

10. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Good game for Webb, finished it off nicely. Could he get the Final?

11. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice match by Howard Webb - certainly no problems / controversies. He will clearly be "on the list" of Centers for the Final, dependent on how England does....

soccerking1990 repped this.
  12. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Webb/Rizzoli (depending on outcome in ENG/ITA game)
    Skomina
    Cakir

IMO those are the final candidates.

13. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Other than a 2 minute period where he let Nani foul away, Webb had a nice game.

14. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Funny cause Nani didn't have a good game, other than about 2 mins...maybe that evened it out :)

15. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    Thought Howard had a great game again. Cautioned when necessary, managed the players well, and worked well (and was supported superbly) with his team.

Nice to see he didn't take the easy decision at the end and overreact to the Czech player's challenge and give him a second yellow. Fairly innocuous challenge made to look worse because of the speed and the theatrics of the Portugese player.

Webb could not have done anything more to get the final. He's had three very good performances, free from any major controversy. All he needs is an England defeat and I can't see how anyone will deserve it more.

16. DudsBro

DudsBro Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Does he? Cech makes the save quite comfortably. No delayed reaction, no apparent positioning problem beforehand or during the save. I say he didn't affect play.

17. elonpuckhog

elonpuckhog Member

Dec 29, 2009
    I think this call could be debated over and over. If I'm the AR and the ball goes in the net, I think its worth it to at least have the convo with Webb about whether he felt the attacker was interfering with play. I have a hard time saying he isn't interfering with play, but at the same time I can see the argument that says he isn't. DudsBro makes a good point that Cech didn't seem to have any trouble making the save, and the attacker (Ronaldo?) does a good job to avoid contact with the ball. I can see both sides of the issue, but I'm leaning towards calling offside if that ball goes in the net.

18. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Webb had a terrific game. He handled the match beautifully. No issues with foul recognition, simulation and his cards were all correct.

19. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    I agree. More like he was 3 years ago.
    Looks like he has rehabbed his image internationally from the WC 2010 FInal.

PH

20. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the fact that Collina stated Kassai's crew were out due to the controversy in their match can you expect UEFA to give Webb another final?

21. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    Would Webb get the final if Portugal makes it? I don't think so, so he needs both England and Portugal to lose

22. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    I don't know, but these are two different things. Kassai and crew missed a goal, a match-critical decision. Not so with Webb, and now he seems to have restored his image, which I imagine is what he wanted anyway. But I'll bet that if he gets the final, it won't be like the 2010 one. I think he learned his lesson. That kinda showed in this match already.

PH

23. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was more than just the missed goal. There was a blown offside call on the run of play leading to the goal. That goal line controversy never would have happened if the AR would have correctly ruled on the offside.

In Webb's case he had a great look at Nigel De Jong in the world cup final and decided to go yellow and not red. That decision was entirely on Webb. In the case of Kassai, his assistant referee and goal line assistant referees both blew calls that Kassai was in no position to judge. UEFA dismissed the entire crew.

I do agree Webb doing the final may be moot if certain teams make it to the final.

24. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Well it looks like the England vs. Italy match will decide who gets to referee the Final. Italy go through, it's probably going to be Webb as he will complete the Triple Crown of major Finals. Euro Final, CL Final and World Cup Final.

England go through and Rizzoli will most likely get the Final. It will be an Italian for the 2nd straight tournament.

Proenca is out with Portugal going through.

25. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I usually don't say this, but I hope England win.